Owen backs Newcastle for Europe

Jimbo

Striker Michael Owen believes Newcastle can still qualify for Europe despite their indifferent start to the season.

The Magpies won just one of their first nine Premier League games, but back-to-back home wins over West Brom and Aston Villa have elevated them to 14th.

"We know we're a decent team and we were in a temporary position," he said.

"If we have a decent run to the end of the season, and we'd expect that with the players we have, then fifth, sixth or seventh is by no means impossible."

Owen is United's leading scorer this season with five goals, although he has not scored since netting a penalty in the 2-1 home loss to Blackburn in September.

But he believes his side will maintain their recent form when they visit Fulham on Sunday.

"With our back-to-back wins we're going there thinking we're capable of taking something from the game," said Owen, who has dropped out of the England squad under new boss Fabio Capello.

"It's still early in the season and a couple of wins shoots you up the table, the last two results have shown that.

"And we are confident we can continue to climb."

"It's still early in the season and a couple of wins shoots you up the table, the last two results have shown that.

"And we are confident we can continue to climb."

Owen also praised the stabilising influence of much-maligned interim manager Joe Kinnear.

"He has steadied the ship," he said.

"In every form of life you need to answer to one person - just to get a focal figure and know where the buck stops. Now we've got that and now we've had some good results as well."

Why does everybody misinterpret every post I make to be a dig?

If you're referring to me, I didnt, I have the same belief as you do, my post wasnt related to yours (to be honest i dont read yours they always come across as digs :D)

I doubt very much if Owen will still be with you if that is the case.

MA wanted him off the wage bill in the summer, nothing standing in his way now.

:D

WOW....what a surprise Danny B spouting shite.....AGAIN so STFU

.....why would Owen comment on it if he didn't want/plan on staying, imo Owen likes being a Magpie and desires to keep being a Magpie

"If we have a decent run to the end of the season, and we'd expect that with the players we have, then fifth, sixth or seventh is by no means impossible."

.....I repeat this is not the Tottenham Shatspur forum

:D

Edited by tooner

Outside of the top 4 (and Arse are looking pretty shaky there at the moment) plenty of teams who hits a good run of results can get themselves into the 5th-7th area.

There's nobody especially impressive as usual this season, so its always up for grabs if you get a few wins, have a bit of luck and don't get hammered with injuries all the time!

If we could beat Fulham and Wigan, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility then i think people will start looking higher up the table for where we can finish. If we lose both games it'll be relegation talk again though, its that tight!

.....why would Owen comment on it if he didn't want/plan on staying, imo Owen likes being a Magpie and desires to keep being a Magpie

I think he likes our Magpie money a lot more than any other factor. Sadly Toffee money, Hotspur money, City money, and loads of other money are just as good, not to mention those clubs aren't saddled with skinflint owners who are trying to sell (Everton notwithstanding) :D

I think he likes our Magpie money a lot more than any other factor. Sadly Toffee money, Hotspur money, City money, and loads of other money are just as good, not to mention those clubs aren't saddled with skinflint owners who are trying to sell (Everton notwithstanding) :D

fair enough, but I don't think money is the only factor in why a player plays for a certain team (it is a big factor to be sure), imo where they will be playing has as much of a pull for a player, the atmosphere of the home games and such, i like to think (however naive this may come across) that players (ones with heart anyway) play because they want to hear the deafening roar of the crowd when they do something positive for their team...Newcastle affords Owen that luxury due to the fans rabid appetite for success (and they should be hungry after 40 years)....thats my 2p

Don't see why not tbh. If we get a bit of stability into the club after the takeover and the major players stay out of the injury room then we're as good as anyone of the challengers for 5th.

Exactly. I don't think a fully fit NUFC squad is worse than Everton's, Villa's or ManShitty's. Just depends whether we can improve our away form and get some stability at the top of the club.

All fine and wellhim saying this but id rather he didnt speak to the papers until he saying "Im happy to stay at newcastle and i've signed a new 3 year deal"

This is encouraging though, sounds like he may well be thinking about it!