Martin O'Neill's spending

Jimbo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milner his most expensive buy :D

That also doesn't account for players on the way out.

I'd hate to see our list over the last 3 or so years.

somne of them have been great signings

Carew and Ashley young etc

but those last three esp the milner one is shocking

Cuellar, Young and Milner? How are they shocking, they have hardly played football yet? :/ And FWIW Cuellar and Young has been bloody brilliant so far this season. Young is actually proving me wrong, as I didnt think he was worth the money. Cant see many RB's being better then him and available for less then £ 6 Mill to us tbh. Personal favo.

Cuellar is easily worth more then what we paid. Just top class CB. The fact that we got Davies, Cuellar and Laursen is awesome.

Milner is understandable though. He hasnt been given much of a time yet, but I can see why people think MON pushed it there. Still Ashley Young was fairly average coming to us, and he has developed into pure brilliance with MON and Robertsons help.

Still I've learned not to question MON signings. I was sceptical to his dealings as Petrov really struggled settling in, never looked close to the money we paid. But this season he has argueably been the MotM in 70-80% of the matches we have played. Top class player.

I also think MON knows the market isnt going to cooldown any time soon.

MON also had to build an entire side with us, which a lot of people to realise. When Randy arrived we had a threadbare squad and players like Knight, Harewood, Salifou etc. they were bought for a reason. You need a squad. And you need those players who will accept the bench and be ready when called for. The very same players who grinded us a win away in Europe today!

It just takes time to build a club again, but I think he is doing an awesome job. Never ever ever thought we would have progressed as fast as we have done when MON got here. Not in my wildest dreams.

I think the main idea for most clubs is to look at what a manager does with a club in terms of success. I couldnt give a toss if MON bought Beye for £ 20 Mill if he continued our progress. And he really has earned respect on those terms. He can sign Bramble and I would support him.

Anyway my 2 cents. Rip it apart.

Edited by The messenger

Cuellar, Young and Milner? How are they shocking, they have hardly played football yet? :/ And FWIW Cuellar and Young has been bloody brilliant so far this season. Young is actually proving me wrong, as I didnt think he was worth the money. Cant see many RB's being better then him and available for less then £ 6 Mill to us tbh. Personal favo.

Cuellar is easily worth more then what we paid. Just top class CB. The fact that we got Davies, Cuellar and Laursen is awesome.

Milner is understandable though. He hasnt been given much of a time yet, but I can see why people think MON pushed it there. Still Ashley Young was fairly average coming to us, and he has developed into pure brilliance with MON and Robertsons help.

Still I've learned not to question MON signings. I was sceptical to his dealings as Petrov really struggled settling in, never looked close to the money we paid. But this season he has argueably been the MotM in 70-80% of the matches we have played. Top class player.

MON also had to build an entire side with us, which a lot of people to realise. When Randy arrived we had a threadbare squad and players like Knight, Harewood, Salifou etc. they were bought for a reason. You need a squad. And you need those players who will accept the bench and be ready when called for. The very same players who grinded us a win away in Europe today!

It just takes time to build a club again, but I think he is doing an awesome job. Never ever ever thought we would have progressed as fast as we have done when MON got here. Not in my wildest dreams.

I think the main idea for most clubs is to look at what a manager does with a club in terms of success. I couldnt give a toss if MON bought Beye for £ 20 Mill if he continued our progress. And he really has earned respect on those terms. He can sign Bramble and I would support him.

We'd want at least double that :D

Edited by Ketsbaia

2-0 2-0 2-0 har dee har dee har har

:D

Cuellar, Young and Milner? How are they shocking,

Not much wrong with them as players, just hellishly over priced in my opinion, perhaps double what they were worth.

That either shows O'neill's not got an eye for a bargain there, or that the Premiership is becoming ridiculous, or maybe both.

If Ashley had given Keegan £80m to spend... :D

It shows O'Neill likes Brits to be the majority makeup of his squad, and it shows Brits have transfer fees which are massively inflated and not worth what clubs pay. Having said that he's done a decent job.

They're not bad players, he's just paid way over the odds for them. He obviously has a problem with putting a correct value on a player, hence the Barry saga.

my point exactly

They're not bad players, he's just paid way over the odds for them. He obviously has a problem with putting a correct value on a player, hence the Barry saga.

The problem is though, that once you are owned by a billionaire and have a fair amount of funds other clubs think they have the right to hold you to ransom.

The problem is though, that once you are owned by a billionaire and have a fair amount of funds other clubs think they have the right to hold you to ransom.

It's wrong though really. But hey we got 12 million for Milner lol

Hence the Barry saga??

Not sure I follow your logic either. If a player performs to his price tag, then how could MON be wrong? The only player who has lived up to his yet is Milner, and he has hardly played! Luke Young for instance has according to my mate been far better then Boswinga so far. Who did the best buy?

Its hard to be objective obviously, but as long as a manager gets results its hard to argue against it. Its a bit Cloughie over it tbh. You want a squad, a team performing and they need to work as one. That includes dressingroom issues etc.

Edited by The messenger

He's done good business on Cuellar, Ashley Young and Carew. He's paid over the odds on the rest.

Having said that a Newcastle fan shouldnt really mock other clubs for doing that!!

:D