Martin O'Neill's spending

Jimbo

They're not bad players, he's just paid way over the odds for them. He obviously has a problem with putting a correct value on a player, hence the Barry saga.

Hence the Barry saga??

Not sure I follow your logic either. If a player performs to his price tag, then how could MON be wrong? The only player who has lived up to his yet is Milner, and he has hardly played! Luke Young for instance has according to my mate been far better then Boswinga so far. Who did the best buy?

Its hard to be objective obviously, but as long as a manager gets results its hard to argue against it. Its a bit Cloughie over it tbh. You want a squad, a team performing and they need to work as one. That includes dressingroom issues etc.

That's the main thing to remember. So far Villa have been getting the results, though I reckon they will fade towards the end of the season.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not bad players, he's just paid way over the odds for them. He obviously has a problem with putting a correct value on a player, hence the Barry saga.

Hence the Barry saga??

Not sure I follow your logic either. If a player performs to his price tag, then how could MON be wrong? The only player who has lived up to his yet is Milner, and he has hardly played! Luke Young for instance has according to my mate been far better then Boswinga so far. Who did the best buy?

Its hard to be objective obviously, but as long as a manager gets results its hard to argue against it. Its a bit Cloughie over it tbh. You want a squad, a team performing and they need to work as one. That includes dressingroom issues etc.

Aye, the Barry saga.

Not sure I get your point. If you are claiming Barry was overpriced, its hardly something you can blame MON for. He was our captain and obviously we wouldnt sell him on the cheap to the club who we have to rival for the fourth. You would have to be pretty thick to sell your players for less then the market value.

Secondly, Barry was England captain at the time the price handled. Carrick and Hargreaves went for £ 18'ish Mill, why would Barry be worth less? I think we not only handled the Barry saga excellent in terms of not giving in to the top 4, but we also valued him correctly.

The whole story still pisses me off. How Benitez can just unsettle a clubs captain, do it right before a crucial match, and get fuck all from the FA. I bet MON was mighty fucked off, and I think the fact that Benitez came with shit offers like the "mish mash of players" only nailed MON's £ 18 Mill value. Liverpool, fuckin cheap classless shithole of a comedy club

Hence the Barry saga??

How do you rate Reo Coker and Petrov? I've never been a massive fan of either, and he spent quite a few quid on them.

As with all managers, there's some good deals in there matched with some bad.

Baros for one(but that was salvaged with Carew coming the other way).

Shorey is a bit too soft to be a PL defender imo, but £3.5m for his isn't the end of the world.

Milner at £12m is silly and goes against the flair and speed of Agbonlahor and Young(who looks quality).

How do you rate Reo Coker and Petrov? I've never been a massive fan of either, and he spent quite a few quid on them.

As with all managers, there's some good deals in there matched with some bad.

Baros for one(but that was salvaged with Carew coming the other way).

Shorey is a bit too soft to be a PL defender imo, but £3.5m for his isn't the end of the world.

Milner at £12m is silly and goes against the flair and speed of Agbonlahor and Young(who looks quality).

Well I rate both, and I think they do their jobs quite well. Petrov is the better player though. I'd go as far as say top class. But he has taken his time to settle. NRC is the kinda energetic player you want on your books, and he has gained us a lot of points tbf. I just feel he hasnt anchored himself in any position yet, but the amount of possession he gains and the mentality he brings is top notch. He is a proper team player, and a warrior if we got one. Hopefully he can learn a bit from Stan though.

Shorey has to improve his performances IMO, but we'll see. Bouma is coming back soon I guess.

I think the idea of Milner is his work rate and defensive qualites for a winger. MON has hailed both Milner and Young as they can track back a lot, and I think he preferes his midfield a bit balanced. Which is why we have played Young, Barry, Petrov, NRC a lot. Coker does right midfield suprisingly well, and I so believe thats how MON wants Milner. I really dont think it goes against Gabby's speed, in fact I'd say it complements it. But we see things differently and I'm hardly objective.

Cannily assembling a quality team or spending a fortune on average players ???

VillaSignings.jpg

a lot of over-priced english players in there. still can't believe we got £12m for milner like

Not sour grapes btw but Milner is a very average player. I've got a lot of time for him as he's very honest and is a model pro though. £12m was a lot of money for him. That aside, I think MON is proving once again what a good manager he is.

Not sour grapes btw but Milner is a very average player. I've got a lot of time for him as he's very honest and is a model pro though. £12m was a lot of money for him. That aside, I think MON is proving once again what a good manager he is.

Agreed, O'Neill is following the Clough blueprint by over achieving with average players, I rate O'Neill very very highly.

But just to echo what others have said about Milner, £12m for a midfielder that doesn't score, can't cross, can't take a freekick and fails to beat the first defender from a corner is just fantastic from our point of view.

No probs, I actually agree on parts of it. Milner can be very frustrating to watch, especially when he tries to beat his man, but I think his crossing is quite good. Unfortunatly you expect more from a £ 12 Mill winger, but hopefully Robertson can do some magic with him. I honestly believe our staff is second to none on that area.

No probs, I actually agree on parts of it. Milner can be very frustrating to watch, especially when he tries to beat his man, but I think his crossing is quite good. Unfortunatly you expect more from a £ 12 Mill winger, but hopefully Robertson can do some magic with him. I honestly believe our staff is second to none on that area.

He's not the most consistent of crossers but he will put the odd good ball in. Tends to get a lot of assists anyway.

Milner is a decent player, and I wish we'd kept hold of him on balance (although I would have hoped for better in the 1st team), but £12m is a fairly barmy amount for him (or it shows how silly the Premiership has become anyway).

Ye. Its quite mad how English or even British players are valued compared to foreign ones, though I guess its reflected on the EPL. So many foreign players simply not handling it.

I think its fair to say we have paid a lot for getting a future squad up and running though. NRC, Davies, Young, Milner are all quite young and you dont get that cheap these days.

Edited by The messenger

I was slagging Milner off for ages before he went so I'm still over the moon at the money we got for him (even though it's done us no good at all so far) and I think we are better off with him gone as I wouldn't play him ahead of any of Jonas, Duff or N'Zogbia. Was happy to see he kept up his run of hitting the first man with every cross on Monday. That said I couldn't understand why he was booed. I never rated him but he always gave his all and never caused us a minutes bother.

Aside from that I think O'Neill is doing a class job with Villa tbh. Carew is a cracking player but can be awful on occasion but MON is helping keep that to a minimum and Young and GA are cracking young players. He knows what he's doing bringing in so much pace, that's what all of the best teams have, which I suppose only makes the £12m he spunked on Milner all the more surprising.

He knows what he's doing bringing in so much pace, that's what all of the best teams have, which I suppose only makes the £12m he spunked on Milner all the more surprising.

I think thats quite normal tbh. Looks to me a lot of big clubs run 4-4-2 with a more right midfielder then right winger. Bit like Beckham for United I guess. Now I'm not comparing Milner with Beckham, but the tactical side of bringing a more work horse then flair player is similar :D

That said I couldn't understand why he was booed. I never rated him but he always gave his all and never caused us a minutes bother.

I think he was booed for the transfer request (never a good move for footballers) and the subsequent interview where he said he put in the transfer request over money (def not a good move for footballers). He did go right down in my estimations after that but I still didn't boo him, he got his move, we got far more money than he was worth, and we had a far better replacement for once in Jonas.

Mind, I kind of se where he was coming from with the salary issue. He must have seen the huff Steven Taylor took during the summer and the amount he eventually got and thought 'how the fuck us he worth that?' I have to say I was worried this would happen after the public drama Taylor made of his new contract, other players would quite rightly think he was being overpaid for his ability and be demanding far more, as in this case with Milner.

He knows what he's doing bringing in so much pace, that's what all of the best teams have, which I suppose only makes the £12m he spunked on Milner all the more surprising.

I think thats quite normal tbh. Looks to me a lot of big clubs run 4-4-2 with a more right midfielder then right winger. Bit like Beckham for United I guess. Now I'm not comparing Milner with Beckham, but the tactical side of bringing a more work horse then flair player is similar :D

Still think he might be the better player in a more central role.

Seems to go in and out fashion a lot though doesn't it.

At one time teams seemed to want full backs that can attack and wide players that defend. In essesnce they sort of merge into one as wing backs. I think the game now is more about pace. Fergie certainly thought that when he offloaded Beckham and brought in the likes of Ronaldo & Nani to replace Giggs. Full backs that can defend first & foremost and wingers that can attack with pace.

Seems to go in and out fashion a lot though doesn't it.

At one time teams seemed to want full backs that can attack and wide players that defend. In essesnce they sort of merge into one as wing backs. I think the game now is more about pace. Fergie certainly thought that when he offloaded Beckham and brought in the likes of Ronaldo & Nani to replace Giggs. Full backs that can defend first & foremost and wingers that can attack with pace.

Good point about offloading Beckham. If you look at the pace in their team now it's truely firghtening even those who look ordinary in that department make players at other clubs look slow as fuck (which is what Milner actually is).

I think overall all of the top four have fast attacking players, not all of the Walcott/Ronaldo pace but all fast compared to the rest of the league. Milner looked slow in our team and we only have a couple of players with any pace at all.

That said I couldn't understand why he was booed. I never rated him but he always gave his all and never caused us a minutes bother.

I think he was booed for the transfer request (never a good move for footballers) and the subsequent interview where he said he put in the transfer request over money (def not a good move for footballers). He did go right down in my estimations after that but I still didn't boo him, he got his move, we got far more money than he was worth, and we had a far better replacement for once in Jonas.

Mind, I kind of se where he was coming from with the salary issue. He must have seen the huff Steven Taylor took during the summer and the amount he eventually got and thought 'how the fuck us he worth that?' I have to say I was worried this would happen after the public drama Taylor made of his new contract, other players would quite rightly think he was being overpaid for his ability and be demanding far more, as in this case with Milner.

Whilst I've ever rated Milner, if the club were putting such a value on him and paying Taylor what they were I think he every right to ask for parity and then ask for a transfer when they went back on their promise of it to him. He was considered one of our senior players but not paid accordingly. While even what he was on was obscene to the rest of us it was less than a lot of players who are a lot more useless than him (Smith immediately springs to mind).

He didn't drop in my estimations (well not once it came out that he had handed the request in a comfortable amount of time before the window shut) so despite being vocal in my opinions of his ability I would never boo him.

I think I had more respect for Milner for handing in a transfer request, same goes for Barry and Robbie Keane too. It's very easy to sit in a strop and wait for a team to keep upping their bid for you, as you get a bigger pay off. He/they wanted to go, and didn't want to dick about his current or potential new team.

I think I had more respect for Milner for handing in a transfer request, same goes for Barry and Robbie Keane too. It's very easy to sit in a strop and wait for a team to keep upping their bid for you, as you get a bigger pay off. He/they wanted to go, and didn't want to dick about his current or potential new team.

I might be missing the point, but to be sure... Barry never delivered a transfer request.

I was slagging Milner off for ages before he went so I'm still over the moon at the money we got for him (even though it's done us no good at all so far) and I think we are better off with him gone as I wouldn't play him ahead of any of Jonas, Duff or N'Zogbia. Was happy to see he kept up his run of hitting the first man with every cross on Monday. That said I couldn't understand why he was booed. I never rated him

Because half the crowd would rather act like they are at a pantomime than get behind the team....

I might be missing the point, but to be sure... Barry never delivered a transfer request.

Oops, I must be getting mixed up with that interview he did in the Sunday papers.

Oops, I must be getting mixed up with that interview he did in the Sunday papers.

You must be, because if he had delivered one he would more then likely be playing at Anfield atm. Just incredibly sad how greedy footballers are.