• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Milner's Villa form justifies record fee, says O'Neill

By John Curtis

Wednesday, 10 December 2008

Martin O'Neill knew he was not taking too big a risk when he made James Milner Aston Villa's record signing, but the manager has nevertheless been delighted with the impact the winger has made at the club.

In August, O'Neill spent £12m on the England Under-21 player, who had to bide his time before finally breaking into the starting line-up. But, while Ashley Young is earning praise for his performances on the left wing, Milner has started to show on the opposite flank the form he displayed during his loan season at Villa three years ago. A spell that O'Neill believes was crucial in the winger's decision to make the move from the north East.

"James had to wait a while to get into the team but I signed him for the next four or five years – not the next four or five games," he said. "I never ever doubted him and he is doing fine. There is more to come from him. He works exceptionally hard for the team. I have been very pleased with him."

O'Neill also said that Milner may have stayed at Newcastle United had it not been for the turmoil at the club. "When we signed James, there were a number of clubs interested," O'Neill said. "I was delighted to get him but, had things been right at Newcastle, James may well have stayed there.

"I was delighted when he agreed to come and his experience during his previous year definitely had a big bearing. He did very well here during a year-long loan and the crowd took to him. He enjoyed it immensely. That would have been the deciding issue."

• 7 months later...
Compared to the money we've shelled out on the likes of Smith, Barton, Colli, Owen, etc, etc,......I'd say he's bought well.

He's bought better players but the prices he's paid have been obscene.

Downing & Milner - expensive, but still young, so will probably be worth it in the long-run.

Ashley Young - Bargain!

Reo-Coker - overpriced.

Petrov - overpriced at the time, at todays prices fair enough.

how has Downing passed a medical? He’s on crutches at the mo’!

guess they don't have to do laps pending on what hes injured with, i assume medical is to make sure they aren't going to keel over and that theres no undelcared injuries that are going to emerge after signing.

Just a general check up no different from a military medical, just make sure no heart murmors etc

guess they don't have to do laps pending on what hes injured with, i assume medical is to make sure they aren't going to keel over and that theres no undelcared injuries that are going to emerge after signing.

Just a general check up no different from a military medical, just make sure no heart murmors etc

Cough please.

Cough please.

that too

Compared to the money we've shelled out on the likes of Smith, Barton, Colli, Owen, etc, etc,......I'd say he's bought well.

Was just thinking about this.

Is O'neill a good manager? Yes.

But would we be complaining if Keegan had been give that much money to spend (and the ability to choose his own players)? Doubt it. :rolleyes::)

i guess these prices are the market nowadays.

Downing & Milner for £12mill are actually better value than £4mill for someone like Harewood.

i think this is where O'Neill may have wasted a bit of money.

but then Randy Lerner isn't that short of cash, so i guess O'Neill can afford to pay that little bit extra to get certain players.

i guess these prices are the market nowadays.

Downing & Milner for £12mill are actually better value than £4mill for someone like Harewood.

i think this is where O'Neill may have wasted a bit of money.

but then Randy Lerner isn't that short of cash, so i guess O'Neill can afford to pay that little bit extra to get certain players.

£8.5m on Reo Coker ?

£8m on Curtis Davies ?

£5m on Steve Sidwell ?

These deals were done in 2007 2008, not the insane Man City era, then £12m on Milner, a player many of us questioned his ability, and now the same fee for Downing, a player that even Boro fans had big reservations about.

The vast majority of his signings seem massively over priced based on their ability.