Chelsea target Owen

Jimbo

CHELSEA are weighing up a shock move for Michael Owen in January.

Boss Phil Scolari has been told budget cuts mean he has around £10million to spend on new players.

The Blues value 28-year-old Owen — who is out of contract next summer — at between £3m-5m.

Scolari is keen to recruit a top-class striker to cover for Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka.

His first choice was Brazil striker Luis Fabiano but Seville’s price tag of £25m has made that move impossible.

There is concern at Stamford Bridge about Owen’s injury record but they will monitor his fitness and form in the coming weeks before deciding on an offer.

Owen, who earns £108,000 a week at St James’ Park, is unlikely to be offered a similar salary at Chelsea.

Financial restructuring and worries over the number of matches he has played mean a smaller deal will be offered.

A weekly wage of £60,000 could then be topped up by a playing bonus to £100,000.

Chelsea may face competition from Spurs, though, who are also on the look-out for a striker.

Boss Harry Redknapp knows a move for Owen would be cheaper than signing Jermaine Defoe, who is valued at £12m by Portsmouth.

Owen, fit again after a groin injury, believes Newcastle will continue to head up the table.

He said: “We know we’re a decent team. If we have a good run, fifth, sixth or seventh place is not impossible.”

If that was the sort of deal he was going to be offered anywhere else, why don't we just offer him it? Saying that he's probably been offered better and is keeping his options open.

I thought NUFC in the summer offered him 115k a week? Maybe he is waiting to see if we get into to europe?? The interview he was in yesterday while he was gardening sounded postive

It would be, aye. I can't see him forcing his way back into the England squad by being the no. 3 striker at a club that likes to play one upfront (a role he isn't suited to either). Mind, you can see the attraction in going - wages, the chance to win things, etc. Especially if he feels his England career may well be over anyway.

It would be, aye. I can't see him forcing his way back into the England squad by being the no. 3 striker at a club that likes to play one upfront (a role he isn't suited to either). Mind, you can see the attraction in going - wages, the chance to win things, etc. Especially if he feels his England career may well be over anyway.

Thats the thing with MO you can tell when you hear him talking about the club etc all he wants to do is win things. Maybe if we can get a Europa League place he would want to stay.

Like most of them he's a mercenary bastard. :D

You reckon he should stay and spend the final years of his career playing for a mid-table team? When he could likely go to another club and get regular European football.

Like most of them he's a mercenary bastard. :D

But a professional one. If our club was treading towards the right direction, I believe he'd stay here. I don't blame him if he leaves. Our club is being run like a brothel, and I'd want to leave too.

Shame really.

Professional footballer in looking after his own interests shocker. I find it excessively harsh when people criticise Owen for things that aren't his own fault. i.e. the freak injuries, the wages he is on and the fee paid for him.

I just want him to come out an say whether he wants to be playing for us next season or not. But he could be waiting to see if we make Europa League

Or get taken over by someone else and see if the club will be run professionally. As it stands, we are in no-man's-land. Why the fuck would he want to stay here???

I can't help feeling that a move to Chelsea for Owen would be good for all parties providing the funds were available for you to buy a replacement, but I guess the last part is the stumbling block :D

Owen seems to spend as much (if not more) time on the sidelines than he does playing these days. Chelsea can afford that type of player, if Abramovic spunks 100 grand a week on a player that plays 10/12 games a season it's doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things, with his resources he can afford to be paying for 4 or 5 top class strikers if he wants ensuring they always have ready made replacements.

I don't think this kind of player is what you need though. You don't have the same resources and if you're shelling out 100 grand a week then you want that striker to be available for the majority of your games. Viduka is injury prone and although Shola tries hard. I doubt anybody thinks he's good enough to match your ambitions. Martins needs a regular partner so surely it would be better to offload Owen (irrespective of his ability) and replace him with a striker on those wages that will be available to play in the main. Would mean a net loss on fees though to replace him with another class striker and I guess Ashley is not going to fork out for that in the present circs.

I can't help feeling that a move to Chelsea for Owen would be good for all parties providing the funds were available for you to buy a replacement, but I guess the last part is the stumbling block :D

Owen seems to spend as much (if not more) time on the sidelines than he does playing these days. Chelsea can afford that type of player, if Abramovic spunks 100 grand a week on a player that plays 10/12 games a season it's doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things, with his resources he can afford to be paying for 4 or 5 top class strikers if he wants ensuring they always have ready made replacements.

I don't think this kind of player is what you need though. You don't have the same resources and if you're shelling out 100 grand a week then you want that striker to be available for the majority of your games. Viduka is injury prone and although Shola tries hard. I doubt anybody thinks he's good enough to match your ambitions. Martins needs a regular partner so surely it would be better to offload Owen (irrespective of his ability) and replace him with a striker on those wages that will be available to play in the main. Would mean a net loss on fees though to replace him with another class striker and I guess Ashley is not going to fork out for that in the present circs.

I can see where your coming from there and i agree in some respects. It would be nice to have a regular none injury prone striker with Martins all the time, personally i would like to see Xisco have a run with Martins for a few games. I still think though if we can keep hold of Owen we should cause when he is playing the guy is a goal machine, plus with players like Duff and Jonas on form like they are at the moment he will be able to capitalise on the quality of service they can provide.

Benjani, 29 £7.6 million.

Andy Johnson, 27 (injury prone) £10.5 million.

Marlon Harewood, 28 £4 million.

Marlon King (injury prone), 27 £4 million.

How much is Owen worth again?

Is there anyway I can write a letter to the Chelsea board?

If some one can find an e-mail address or something I will fucking e-mail them and tell them were to fucking go stupid robbing cunts.

Is there anyway I can write a letter to the Chelsea board?

If some one can find an e-mail address or something I will fucking e-mail them and tell them were to fucking go stupid robbing cunts.

And I'm sure they will treat it with the highest of regards :(