Celtic

Toonpack

On a Celtic board, despicable bastards

http://celtictalk.org/celtic-fc-f70-...irt-t8139.html

Protesting on Saturday about the team wearing the Poppy on their shirts .

We will be leafleting all sides of the ground before the game on Saturday. We want as many people as possible to turn up on Saturday and help us spread the message amolng the supporters against this jingoism.

Cairde Na hÉireann are supporting the protest.

We will be urging in the leaflet that fans should support the walk out protest suggested by the Green Brigade.

We will also be urging that if there's a minute's silence before the start of the match, those who are against this celebration of British imperialism should turn their backs on the silence and/or hold up the front of our leaflet as a show of defiance.

Meet at the Cairde Shop on the Gallowgate at 1pm.

We will be discussing on the day what should happen after people walk out of the stadium.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed :D

I like what the Baggies have done (at least I think it was them) by playing in one-off shirt with a poppy emboidered and then auctioning all the match day shirts for the British Legion.

Cracking idea that.

this celebration of British imperialism

That's hardly what it is. It's paying respect to men that died for our rights.

As Paxman put it ''Pay your respect to the Lions that went to war, not the Donkeys that sent them there''

On 3 September, another great British offensive went in. This time the soldiers included the mainly Irish Catholic 16th Division, brought down from Loos in Belgium.

Their objectives were the hamlets of Guillemont and Ginchy, which the original battle plans had assumed would be taken in the first few days of fighting.

The men of the 16th Division fought with the same reckless courage that had distinguished the 36th Division - their sacrifice separated only by a few months, a few miles, and hundreds of thousands of casualties.

Within 10 days the Division had lost half its 11,000 men killed or injured. Most died anonymously which was the way of it in a war which married the tactics of an old century with the technology of the new.

Not all though. A private soldier in the Connaught Rangers and a young officer in the Leinsters won Victoria Crosses.

Maybe somebody could tell the bigoted ***** that we're remembering these people as well.

this celebration of British imperialism

That's hardly what it is. It's paying respect to men that died for our rights.

As Paxman put it ''Pay your respect to the Lions that went to war, not the Donkeys that sent them there''

Aye, I can't think of any less imperialistic to be honest, nor less glorifying of war.

I wish they'd fuck off with their Irishness and Republican shite.

GLASGOW Celtic - Champions of SCOTLAND.

Fuck off, bigoted cunts :(

I was in Glasgow at a client meeting on Friday, and the first thing I did when I got to Glasgow Central was buy a poppy. I was shocked by how few people had them on compared with here. I don't think it's a politcal statement, it's a mark of respect for the hundreds of thousands who died for our country, but I'm not surprised by these wanks. I get the impression a lot of Irish people are embarrassed by Celtic Football Club, and what it is supposed to stand for, these arseholes in the West of Scotland seem to be far more bigotted and vile than the vast majority of people in Ireland.

Not really surprised by this. I'll never forgive the b*stards for spouting their IRA shite at Pedro's testimonial.

Why do we ALWAYS ask these cnuts to plat at SJP?

:(

Massive away turnouts

Aye we would've struggled to fill 36,000 for Peter and 52,000 for Alan.....fuck off man. Even the friendly they only had 4,000, we need decent opposition aside from the fact they're arseholes.

I wish they'd fuck off with their Irishness and Republican shite.

GLASGOW Celtic - Champions of SCOTLAND.

Fuck off, bigoted cunts :(

I was in Glasgow at a client meeting on Friday, and the first thing I did when I got to Glasgow Central was buy a poppy. I was shocked by how few people had them on compared with here. I don't think it's a politcal statement, it's a mark of respect for the millions & millions who died for our country, but I'm not surprised by these wanks. I get the impression a lot of Irish people are embarrassed by Celtic Football Club, and what it is supposed to stand for, these arseholes in the West of Scotland seem to be far more bigotted and vile than the vast majority of people in Ireland.

FYP

It's a shame to hear about something like this. I think it shows a great deal of ignorance. Especially when you consider that a lot of people from the Rep. of Ireland choose to join and fight in the British Army. It's also obviously about people who lost of their lives in wars and conflicts (on all sides as well as a special remembrance of British and Commonwealth troops) and not some celebration of military might.

PROTEST AGAINST BRITISH IMPERIALISM

WALK OUT OF STADIUM ON 10 MINUTE MARK

CONTINUE PROTEST - MEET AT WALFRID STATUE

The SPL has decided that all Scottish Premier League clubs should support the Poppy Scotland Appeal. Celtic PLC without proper reference even to its own board, supporters groups or employees has decided to comply with the SPL’s recommendation and has produced a special strip embroidered with a red poppy to be worn by all players in today’s match against Motherwell.

For Celtic to support such an enterprise is extremely insensitive to the huge fan base that the club has in Ireland. In recent times many of our supporters in Ireland have suffered directly at the hands of the British Army, an army whose soldiers we are expected to applaud and commemorate today.

This is an insult to our supporters in Ireland and to all of the many thousands with Irish heritage and ancestry that follow the club. How can the Celtic PLC board expect our supporters to lend support to an army that has plundered and murdered many of our own people?

Bloody Sunday, The Ballymurphy Massacre, the murders of Aiden McAnespie and Peter McBride – these are just a few of the atrocities committed by British troops in Ireland.

This is not about the fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers who were conscripted to fight in two world wars. This poppy day is about the British Army in the here and now - and is being given extra impetus this year because of the falling recruitment figures as a result of its involvement in unpopular conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Our protest is not aimed at individuals who wear the poppy, it is against the idea that Celtic as an institution should be backing British imperialism in any way shape or form.

We believe that the poppy appeal has long passed its original aims to commemorate the fallen conscripts of two world wars and has now become a focal point to rally support for the modern professional volunteer soldiers of the British Army and its wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

An honourable compromise could have been reached if the club had opted to wear the White Poppy which symbolises peace and opposition to all wars, but it seems that other political agendas are now at work in our club.

The Celtic Chairman John Reid is fond of telling us to “leave your politics at the door” yet this former minister in the British war cabinet continues to bring his own British imperialist and unionist politics into our club. Dr Reid should follow his own advice.

It is a disgraceful turnaround in the history of our club that we should even consider endorsing a celebration of the British Army. Celtic was founded by Irishmen who opposed British military involvement in Ireland and whose lives were devoted to this club, the Irish community in Scotland and the struggle to free their homeland from British rule.

It’s time to reclaim our club from those who would prefer to wrap it in the Union Jack rather than the Irish Tricolour.

Printed & Published by Celts Against Imperialism

Supported by Cairde Na hEireann, TAL Fanzine, Green Brigade

Pure scum.

What are they going to do for all the Irish people that died?

+ they can fuck off with White Poppies, hippy cunts. The red poppy does everything but glorify war :(

scum. Real scum. As usual.

Whenever I think of Celtic [and Rangers] I think of this bollocks, sickens you to the pit of your stomach. What a bunch of absolute turds people who behave like this are.

I can't understand why they just can't leave it be? Why do they have to kick up a fuss?

90 Million people died in both those conflicts , millions of them were soldiers protecting our (and their) rights to make the world a fairer place.

Irish people died too, basically everybody died and people want to mourn or remind themselves of that.

If you disagree - don't wear a Poppy - be respectful - don't protest against it because you may disagree with the British Army's recent behaviour, that said the Irish 'militants' were hardly saints.

Just leave it be and let people get on with it.

I bet all those who gave up their lives for future generations are so proud at how fuckwitts like this are using that feeedom, complete bunch of arseholes. They manage to combine such ignorance, bigotry and just plain stupidity in pretty much everything they say and do, they're a waste of oxygen to be honest.

My great grandfather fought for the British Army in WWI, at a time when Ireland was part of the British Empire. He didn't lose his life in it but it still affected my family back then I'm sure. Just like a lot of those Celtic bigots I would imagine. So for that reason I don't go up in arms over anyone Irish wearing the Poppy, I wouldn't anyway. Those bigots have no reason to anyway, they're a British club.