Alan Shearer

Deano

I was talkin to one of the guys at my local last night who's good mates with rob lee, he thinks that the club will be sold 100% before January and it will be an american consorteum with close links to Randy lerner at villa. Good news!

His second point was that Alan Shearer WILL be the next newcastle manager, rob lee is very VERY good friends with big al and apparently al is very interested in being our number one if the american consorteum mentioned takes control as he knows what set up he will be working too.

His 3rd and final point was that as it stands he thinks owen has some loyalty to the club, wants us to do well and wants to play in europe with us, he is however keeping his options open though, one to see if we are in a strong position come xmas to challenge for europe, secondly if the club is sold and thirdly as any human being would do he is open to a good offer from another club...Fair play to him.

I cant help but think that should the former two points materialise then that would only enhance owens chances of staying imo.

Was a very insightful conversation last night and tbh it all makes sence.

Fingers crossed...and you heard it here 1st boys and gals!

Edited by Geordie Lad...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first and foremost, Rob Lee is good mates with Shearer so i can understand his point about shearer being next manager, as far as the sale of the club, who knows, i was a little dubious about it too but the guy i was talkin to is a very respectable guy, a respectable source i dont know?

I was mearly posting what i was told, i was in no form throwing my weight behind the story, just thought it was interesting. Paul, the guy at my local played in the charlton academy with rob lee and is a massive toon fan so i can quite well believe he is good mates with him.

It may be true, it may not, thats what makes it interesting and a good topic to talk about.

Unfortunatly my inability to spell seems to of scared people off! :(

Oh well...

Edited by Geordie Lad...

I would be at all surprised of this turned out to be true, Keith Harris's last statement suggested that the likely buyer could well be American, and Shearer would be a natural choice for some folk.

True, its a plausible idea, he could of took it all from stories and statements from the papers yes, but something inside me thinks that this could have legs.

Fingers crossed hopefully

Im more hopeful of the American take over and big al coming in than owen staying.

Que sera sera

Aye, and if the buyer is someone by the name of Paul Allen then.. :(

But ffs, we need stability, an owner who hasn't a buy to sell off mentality, and a manager who if decent could stay for a period of time, like David Moyes has done with Everton.

Edited by Ken

Well first and foremost, Rob Lee is good mates with Shearer so i can understand his point about shearer being next manager, as far as the sale of the club, who knows, i was a little dubious about it too but the guy i was talkin to is a very respectable guy, a respectable source i dont know?

I was mearly posting what i was told, i was in no form throwing my weight behind the story, just thought it was interesting. Paul, the guy at my local played in the charlton academy with rob lee and is a massive toon fan so i can quite well believe he is good mates with him.

It may be true, it may not, thats what makes it interesting and a good topic to talk about.

Oh well...

;)

I'd still prefer it if Shearer were to earn his stripes at another club before taking on the job; just to see if he can hack it as a manager. It could be disasterous if he was appointed and didn't have the first clue what he was doing...

I can't see him and JFK working together though, both are far too headstrong for a Roeder-Shearer-esque partnership.

Oh well...

;)

I'd still prefer it if Shearer were to earn his stripes at another club before taking on the job; just to see if he can hack it as a manager. It could be disasterous if he was appointed and didn't have the first clue what he was doing...

I can't see him and JFK working together though, both are far too headstrong for a Roeder-Shearer-esque partnership.

I agree to some extent, i would like to see big al ply his trade elsewhere ideally, maybe somewhere like southampton? But on the other hand i think he could potentially have a similar impact as to what KK had.

And as for him being a bit green, it pains me to say it but "Roy Keane"

And to your point of AS and JFK...its a non starter, AS didnt want to work with KK which would of been the dream team so i agree he his definalty not going to agree to something of this sort.

Big Al for the toon!

:(

At some point in the future Shearer may be good enough to manage NUFC.

Until then can we not just have a Proper, experienced gaffer, one who might stay more than 2 weeks.

I can't really get on this "Shearer for manager" trip. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Especially given the current state of affairs at the club.

People trot out the "prove himself elsewhere" line whenever Shearer is mentioned and it makes sense but can anyone really see him as manager of Hartlepool or somewhere?

I'm not averse to the prospect - I think he has character and is driven to win - much like Keane.

New owners will want to enthuse the fans - It might make more football sense to get Deschamps or whoever in but from a sort of business sense (ie pleasing the customers) it would work. The alternative would be Keegan but I honestly think theres too much baggage associated with bringing him back now.

People trot out the "prove himself elsewhere" line whenever Shearer is mentioned and it makes sense but can anyone really see him as manager of Hartlepool or somewhere?

I'm not averse to the prospect - I think he has character and is driven to win - much like Keane.

New owners will want to enthuse the fans - It might make more football sense to get Deschamps or whoever in but from a sort of business sense (ie pleasing the customers) it would work. The alternative would be Keegan but I honestly think theres too much baggage associated with bringing him back now.

Totally agree bud, Big Al aint gonna ply his trade at minows, for him it'd be southampton or us, and like i said as far as him being green in managerial terms, id havemore than enough faith in him if it were to be the case.

On your point about Didier Deschamps, him or Slaven Bilic would be a good call if Big Al wad not the route the next owners thought best of.

KK coming back is NOT going to happen...End off

I would rather have Deschamps than Shearer.

Although Shearer was decent as assistant to Roeder I think he needs experience elsewhere.

League One/Championship.

As much as people can't see that happening he'll have to get rid of the football star/ wooden pundit mentality and get his hands dirty.

Bilic won't come.

KK is consigned to the history books, please move on!

Disagree

Agree

Bilic said he was interested, then changed his mind for whatever reason, he has been quoted saying good things about newcastle. Yes i know this isnt strong enough to suggest he'd definatly want the job, but i think with a decent system in place and money to spend he would fancy his chances at working in the EPL and what better place than SJP?

He'd be my number one choicei think (Shearer aside)

There are a few stragglers hanging onto the KK dream, thats not a dig just think you are all building yourself up for a massive let down imo

Well Bilic wouldn't go to West Ham - who he used to play for and he has also said he wants to take Croatia to the 2010 World Cup.

So I doubt we will see him managing us - he would be class like.

I would rather have Deschamps than Shearer.

Although Shearer was decent as assistant to Roeder I think he needs experience elsewhere.

League One/Championship.

As much as people can't see that happening he'll have to get rid of the football star/ wooden pundit mentality and get his hands dirty.

Why would you want him to gain experience in League One or The Championship? Completely different kettle of fish than managing at Premiership level.

Well Bilic wouldn't go to West Ham - who he used to play for and he has also said he wants to take Croatia to the 2010 World Cup.

So I doubt we will see him managing us - he would be class like.

Bilic was interviewed for the job but was never offered it.

Surely it would set him up better for the job?

I really don't see how managing at those levels will set him in any better stead than say managing another Premiership club.

BBC Live Text updates:

1614: "There's a worrying rumour kicking about in the stands here that Roy Keane is set to take the Geordies job!"

Dave at the Stadium of Light, via text on 81111

I posted it in the Weekend matches thread.

We seemed to have kicked the habit of spending big money on average players - let's not get into to it.

Plus I don't rate Keane as it is.

Trail and Error tbh.

It's a lot better to learn at a lower level and it doesn't sacrifice you credentials as much at a lower league club.

As I've said how is it a lot better to learn at a lower level? When you take into account the huge differences in the modern game compared to it at the very top.