Alan Shearer

Deano

Trail and Error tbh.

It's a lot better to learn at a lower level and it doesn't sacrifice you credentials as much at a lower league club.

As I've said how is it a lot better to learn at a lower level? When you take into account the huge differences in the modern game compared to it at the very top.

To gain experience so you know what you are doing when you arrive at a higher risk situation.

It would probably also teach discipline in transfer dealings, working on a small budget in a league where one or two signings can make a big difference (LG1).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trail and Error tbh.

It's a lot better to learn at a lower level and it doesn't sacrifice you credentials as much at a lower league club.

As I've said how is it a lot better to learn at a lower level? When you take into account the huge differences in the modern game compared to it at the very top.

To gain experience so you know what you are doing when you arrive at a higher risk situation.

It would probably also teach discipline in transfer dealings, working on a small budget in a league where one or two signings can make a big difference (LG1).

Its a totally different game outside the Premier League.

Different level of ego, different budgets, different pressures, different exposure

Trail and Error tbh.

Its a totally different game outside the Premier League.

Different level of ego, different budgets, different pressures, different exposure

I know what you and Jonny are saying, managing in the Premiership is obviously a different beast. However, the best managers in the world started at a smaller club and matured into the role. I think that learning about how exactly you manage players (at what ever level) is vital. You would need to identify and employ your style, clubs in the premiership will not grant you the freedom or time to attempt a variety of formations, styles and approaches to the game. I don't think that a succesful lower league manager will necessarily cope with the premier league, but I'm pretty sure an untested ex-pro will struggle badly in the premiership. Especially at a club where the expectations are as high as ours are, and even more so when the man who is to steer the ship is idolised in the way Shearer is.

There would be loads to be gained from working at a lower level first. Ask Paul Ince whether he's a better manager for having served his apprenticeship and I doubt he'll tell you "Nah it's fuck all like the Premier League in the lower divisions anyway". I bet there's loads of mistakes that he's made in his previous jobs that would have been magnified if he'd made them in the Premiership.

Even just the day to day of being a manager: working with players, picking a team, seeing what works on a training ground and what doesn't, what works with a particular player and what doesn't, working with scouts, building a squad, handling a transfer window, the list goes on and on.

There would be loads to be gained from working at a lower level first. Ask Paul Ince whether he's a better manager for having served his apprenticeship and I doubt he'll tell you "Nah it's fuck all like the Premier League in the lower divisions anyway". I bet there's loads of mistakes that he's made in his previous jobs that would have been magnified if he'd made them in the Premiership.

Even just the day to day of being a manager: working with players, picking a team, seeing what works on a training ground and what doesn't, what works with a particular player and what doesn't, working with scouts, building a squad, handling a transfer window, the list goes on and on.

It's FM. :(

Alot people here are saying that Shearer would benifit from managing a lower league club..i don't agree there i think he should take a job as an a assistant to start with..if you look at alot of the best coaches,mangers in the world they all started off by learning from someone else....to name one jose mourinho learning of the legend that is sir bobby

Mourinho was originally a translator though - he's a special case.

he worked as bobby's assistant though after he was his translator at sporting. My point was though i think Shearer would benefit from that

That's basically a more articulate version of what I was trying to say.

:(

Whey I was at a Pie and Pea talk in at the Clock in Hebburn wednesday gone when Rob Lee said nothing of the sort.

He said Shearer would love the job if offered like.

Best bit was his story about Shearer's new interest in wine though (he's invested in a cellar). Apparently Big Al thinks he's the dogs bollocks on wine tasting these days, so when they were on holiday with the wives he tests the wine and says "That's not just good, that's MAGNIFICENT" ( :( for that by the way), so then the wine gets poured for everyone. One of the wives has a taste and almost hoys up because it was corked.

Whey I was at a Pie and Pea talk in at the Clock in Hebburn wednesday gone when Rob Lee said nothing of the sort.

He said Shearer would love the job if offered like.

Best bit was his story about Shearer's new interest in wine though (he's invested in a cellar). Apparently Big Al thinks he's the dogs bollocks on wine tasting these days, so when they were on holiday with the wives he tests the wine and says "That's not just good, that's MAGNIFICENT" ( :( for that by the way), so then the wine gets poured for everyone. One of the wives has a taste and almost hoys up because it was corked.

;)

Well maybe my source is folly or maybe its possible he would tell mates more truthful stuff rather than at a talk in when there could potentially be journo's who can misconstrue things what were said?

Just a thought

Edited by Geordie Lad...

what is it they say? theres no smoke without fire? haha who emailed the mail?

Odds slashed on Alan Shearer

to become next Newcastle boss

By Colin Young

Last updated at 8:02 PM on 10th November 2008

Comments (0) Add to My Stories As Alan Shearer's odds of taking over at Newcastle expectedly shortened, midfielder Nicky Butt has admitted players are being kept in the dark about the future of manager Joe Kinnear and the club's long-term ownership.

Shearer's odds fell dramatically from 9-1 to 11-8, heightening speculation the former Newcastle and England captain could again be in line for a sensational return to St James's Park.

Advisers close to the BBC pundit, who turned down a coaching role in Kevin Keegan's coaching line-up last season, say he is still committed to his media work and is mystified by the sudden betting surge.

Scroll down for more

In the frame: Temporary Toon boss Joe Kinnear (left) and club hero Alan Shearer are the bookmakers favourites to land the Newcastle job on a permanent basis

While Shearer's odds have shortened considerably, Kinnear is now the market favourite and he says he wants the St James's Park job full time.

His first contract will run until the Chelsea game at the end of the month but he is hoping owner Mike Ashley will re-new it beyond the end of the season.

Butt, who was named captain by Kinnear in Michael Owen's absence, said the Newcastle squad have no idea who will be in charge in the dressing room or boardroom as Ashley continues to seek a buyer. A consortium from the United States have opened talks with Ashley and are hoping to tie up a deal before the New Year.

More...No-one knows what's going on at Newcastle, blasts Nicky Butt

Joe's ref rant: Mickey Mouse jibe as furious Kinnear goes Toon barmy at Fulham

NEWCASTLE UNITED FC NEWS FROM ACROSS THE WEB

In the dark: Nicky Butt insists the players want answers over the club's long-term future

Former Manchester United midfielder Butt said: 'No-one knows who's making the decisions at the club at the moment.

'We've got players running out of time on their contracts but no-one can sign a contract, we don't know whether someone's buying the club or not.

'It's the same with the manager - I'm sure he's looking to get himself settled down but at the minute nothing's happening. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

'As players we just get on with it. It's been like that for a while now so we've just learnt to get on with it - I'm sure it's more frustrating for the gaffer because he's in limbo.

'It's something that needs to be sorted out soon.'

Kinnear will find out if he will face an FA charge after branding referee Martin Atkinson 'Mickey Mouse' following Sunday's 2-1 defeat at Fulham.

He was banned from the touchline at Nottingham Forest for similar comments made in his final game at the City Ground. That resulted in his suspension when he took over at Newcastle and he was already on an FA warning after his foul-mouthed rant at journalists last month.

FA chiefs have written to the interim Newcastle manager to ask for an explanation of his comments which were made following the defeat at Craven Cottage in which Andrew Johnson scored a controversial penalty after Kinnear claimed Claudio Cacapa was fouled in the build-up to the goal.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if SBR was well enough to assist Shearer in an advisory role.

I think there is quite a few benefits to Shearer coming in as manager. Not the least of which will be his ability to attract players. Shearer is the highest profile former Newcastle player that still has a connection to the modern game. Players the world over will know who Alan Shearer is, and in the same way that Roy Keane has been able to bring players to Sunderland, Shearer will be capable of the same for us. Add to that a bankroll that will likely be significantly higher than the likes of Sunderland and we should be in reasonable stead for attracting players (that is if we don't go and do something silly like get relegated). Shearer will have his coaches around him to assist with making decisions, and given some of the managers that he has played under he should know a fair bit about the different approaches. He would be a pretty hard-nosed manager, that could potentially fall-out with players of the same personality, but it should also encourage most of our players to perform to their best.

I'm not particularly for it or against it, just trying to look at the positives as there now appears to be a slim chance that this could happen.

I want something unquestionable to be honest - A simple structure not in the newspaper every day - but we will be lucky to get that with Newcastle.

I think Aston Villa's structure is fairly decent and I would settle for something similar.

I think as a club we will never ''settle'' for mediocrity as we will always strive to do the best we can, I think that's in the nature of the club and the fans.

So I think stability will eventually bring relative success.

I want something unquestionable to be honest - A simple structure not in the newspaper every day - but we will be lucky to get that with Newcastle.

I think Aston Villa's structure is fairly decent and I would settle for something similar.

You mean something that most clubs have? ;)

Hardly.

Not many clubs who don't have endless funds trust the manager to spend heavily.

But to be honest I would settle for something most clubs have rather than an emotionally torturing, dragged out circus of a club performance.

Hardly.

But to be honest I would settle for something most clubs have rather than an emotionally torturing, dragged out circus of a club performance.

The structure and a team's transfer budget are two completely different things iyam.

Hardly.

I'd say Villa have far from endless funds.