Alan Shearer

Deano

I think it might be a reaction to a recent Rob Lee interview as opposed to ''sources''.

I think right now I would settle for Shearer, he would certainly get the players putting the effort in and he could probably attract some good players/coaches.

Your right about the interview as he done a taklk in didnt he? But my mate had spoke to rob "apparently" a few days previous.

As far as AS bringing in quality coaches, id love to see him tempt ferdy from the spuds even though he's just went there, bring in speedo and rob lee himself.

And get Phiiilleeeep Phillip Abert to jump on a treadmil and come and coach our defence.

Haha...id love to see it though

EDIT: Is pedro still at the club? It'dbe class promoting him to one of our 1st team coaches too! Martins mite learn a thing or two!

Aye because all the experience between them would see us right....

Obviously, i was saying it would be good to see them all here at some point, more sentimental than practical

Lighten up mate :lol:

EDIT: Is pedro still at the club? It'dbe class promoting him to one of our 1st team coaches too! Martins mite learn a thing or two!

Has Beardsley become a brain surgeon?

Haha, i think if her were to go into surgery at all it would be plastic surgery! :jesuswept:

I do think he would teach oba a bit about movement though

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jobs for the boys! :)

Precisely :lol:

Id keep Alan Thompson but robbie elliott can go :jesuswept:

Alan Thompson is Wise's mate so you might want to rethink that one.

How are they mates? i didnt think they played together? though that has no baring on it i guess...

Wasnt Thompson here before wise too?

How are they mates? i didnt think they played together? though that has no baring on it i guess...

Wasnt Thompson here before wise too?

Not sure how they are mates but they are, apparently. Heard from a canny source. I think you're right, they didn't ever play together so I'm not actually sure what the link is.

He didn't arrive until the summer though, well after Wise.

Was Thompson at Leeds when Wise was manager?

Rings a bell actually.

Aye it does like...good call J2J

Still like AT as a fella, spoke to him a few times out in town. And seems to be doing a good job with the Academy lads

The Express

TAKE THE TOON JOB ON, ALAN

By Bill Bradshaw

There is no question that Alan Shearer will be asked to manage his beloved Newcastle United. The only debate is when…and by whom.

That day moved a significant step closer this week when Shearer’s former Newcastle team-mate and long-time confidant Rob Lee said he “firmly believed he would [take the job] tomorrow” if the club’s circumstances were right.

So will he accept? Will he make the move from Match of the Day studio pundit back into football’s front line? Will he swap the perceived comfort zone of TV for the madhouse of management?

If one man knows about this dilemma it is Britain’s top TV football analyst and expert commentator Andy Gray. In an exclusive interview with the Daily Express, Gray said it was a challenge he hoped Shearer would grab.

Gray spoke to Everton about taking the manager’s job at Goodison Park in 1997. Like Shearer, he was a former centre-forward at the club concerned; like Shearer, he was loved by the fans and, like Shearer, he had carved out a new career in television.

“This is the biggest dilemma Alan Shearer will have to cope with,” said Gray. “Does he want his whole life to change overnight? Will he mind not playing the golf he loves so much? Will he mind not having the time off he can now enjoy with his family? Is he ready to forget about having no real pressure?

“Because being a football manager is 24-7. He’ll be about the club all the time and he can forget golf; forget trips to his house in Portugal for most of the year and he can forget about seeing his family except at nights.

“Alan, for sure, does not need the money that managing Newcastle will bring. So he can base his decision purely and simply on answering one question: Do I really want this? I hope he does, I really do.

“TV will always be there, he can always go back to it and I’ve said the same thing to Jamie Redknapp at Sky, especially now that his Dad, Harry, has the job he has at Spurs.

“Jamie and Alan are about the same age, the right age. If they want to go back into the game, they should do it.”

If there is just a hint of regret in Gray’s words that he did not become Everton’s manager 11 years ago, he confirms that is the case.

“The chances of me ever managing a team now recede with each passing year,” he says. “I’m 52 and if I don’t manage a club then in years to come when my grand-children ask me about football, I guess I will have a slight regret about not doing it. But my situation was slightly different to Alan’s.

“He’s 38 now and the right age. I was in my 40s and I’d been doing Sky Sports for seven years or so and it was a fantastic job. And I was in a domestic situation where I only saw my daughter at weekends. For me, Everton was the right club at the wrong time.

“I knew what I was getting into. I had been assistant manager at Aston Villa to Ron Atkinson and I’d loved that.

“I loved being with the players, getting involved in coaching and going into the club every day.”

Back in 1997, it was not simply a case of Gray taking the bait of an improved deal with Sky. The Everton post, which he was minded to take, was never actually formally offered after the job was talked through.

“When I heard that Everton wanted to talk to me, I was flying,” said Gray, who enjoyed two fabulous seasons as the club’s marauding centre-forward between 1983-85.

“If they had said ‘here’s the contract, sign it’, I would have done. My heart would have ruled my head.

“I saw the chairman, Peter Johnson, with a couple of members of the board in the Wirral and we spoke for two to three hours. They wanted to know, hypothetically, what I’d do as Everton’s manager.

“When I left that meeting to go to La Manga for a break I was totally convinced I’d be the next Everton boss.”

But as days went by and press leaks of the private meeting got back to Gray, he became uneasy.

He was unsure whether Johnson was prepared to fund his plans for the team.

Friends and fellow professionals also told him he “must be mad” to exchange the security of Sky for the hot seat at Everton. In the end, with no formal offer forthcoming, he stayed where he was.

“That is why I totally understand Rob Lee saying that Alan would take the Newcastle job if the club is ‘how he wants it’. That is right. It has to be right,” says Gray. “But if it is, I do hope he takes it on.

“I think for people like Alan – and Jamie Redknapp – if you really love the game then this is the right time to take the plunge.”

Alan Shearer has already selected his backroom staff, should he be offered the Newcastle job on a permanent basis. Former Newcastle midfielder Rob Lee would become Shearer's assistant, with former coach John Carver rejoining the club. (Daily Express)

:lol: double :D if this is true :)

JC was at the game with Al the other week, everything crossed for this to happen

Kinnear keen to work with Shearer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/f...cus/7742625.stm

Newcastle United boss Joe Kinnear says Alan Shearer is "more than welcome" to work at St James' Park.

Shearer has been continually linked with a Newcastle return and admitted in September he would like to be manager.

Kinnear, whose talks with owner Mike Ashley about his own future have been delayed, told the BBC's Football Focus: "I have the utmost respect for Shearer.

"The door is always open and if he is listening to this interview he is more than welcome to learn his trade here."

Kinnear added: "I would be delighted if he wanted to come here two days a week and see for himself what football is all about.

"From Alan's point of view he will be looking, more for the future than right now.

"Because right now is a difficult time to come in also in terms in injuries. Maybe he is biding his time."

But Shearer, who scored 206 goals in 404 appearances, has been consistently linked with taking the job on a permanent basis - with Keegan, another Geordie idol, also tipped for a return.

However, Kinnear said he was not worried by the speculation.

"I have just got on with things," he said.

"They are two idols that everybody loves up here, so I'm never going to be as popular as those two and I'm not trying to be. I am aware of the situation and can handle it."

In the meantime, the current Newcastle boss is busy considering player recruitment.

"We need two players in as soon as possible, and I have them in mind," he said.

"One is with Roma and isn't in the team at the moment. The other has already scored against us this season."

Following Kinnear's substantial clue about a Roma player, one man who has been heavily linked is John Arne Riise.

The 28-year-old Norwegian former Liverpool star left Anfield for Roma over the summer but having played regularly, he may not be on Newcastle's wanted list.

By contrast, French defender Philippe Mexes has made fewer appearances and was recently reported to be in talks with AC Milan, as Roma try to offload star players to service their debts.

Kinnear's other clue, about a player who has scored against Newcastle this season, does little to narrow down the list of possibilities.

It has been suggested that Arsenal's 20-year-old midfielder Denilson is Kinnear's target as he scored in the Gunners' 3-0 win earlier this season, but 23 players have scored against Newcastle this term.

Kinnear had initially expected to be in charge at the Tyneside club for a matter of weeks but, with the news that talks with owner Ashley will no longer take place after Saturday's game against Chelsea, has settled in for a longer haul.

"I have already got my shortlist ready and I will be giving it to Mike," said the 61-year-old.

"I know their agents and what they would be is loan deals from January until the end of the season. I already know the player in Rome would cost us £2m to bring over here.

"We need to strengthen the team and the squad and, if we can get them, they would be a big boost because both are top-class players."