NEWCASTLE TO GO AMERICAN

Jimbo

News of the world

NEWCASTLE will be owned by Americans by the New Year.

Two groups looking to buy the Toon have made hush-hush trips to Tyneside and both are prepared to meet Mike Ashley’s £280million asking price. They hope to take control in early 2009, so they can be a major force in the January transfer window.

The American groups, one an international company based in the States as we revealed two weeks ago, will now try to reach an agreement with owner Ashley.

The two parties have not met the controversial Sports Direct billionaire.

But talks have advanced to such a level that Seymour Pierce, the brokers selling the club, expect due diligence — the process of going through the books in minute detail — to begin very shortly.

But no decision has yet been made on the future of interim boss Joe Kinnear and neither group has discussed the managerial position. Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, said: “It is a good estimate to say the club will be sold by January.

Attractive

“There is serious interest expressed by two parties and work is going on with them. One group approached me and I approached one group.

“The change in the level of the dollar versus sterling has made it much more attractive to buy sterling assets at this time.

“The new owner wants to be in a position to make an assessment of what adjustments need to be made in January.”

The deal will still represent a profit for Ashley, who bought the club for £134m 18 months ago and spent around £100m paying off debts.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News of the world

=made up not real, fabricated, created, imaginary, dreamt up, falsified, jiggery pokery, bollocks.

But I wish it were.

NotW doesn't often get the bad ones right, it'd be too much too ask they've suddenly developed journalistic ability.

News of the world

=made up not real, fabricated, created, imaginary, dreamt up, falsified, jiggery pokery, bollocks.

But I wish it were.

NotW doesn't often get the bad ones right, it'd be too much too ask they've suddenly developed journalistic ability.

It's not the first time that American bidders have been mentioned lately, although it's the News of the world, they might not be far off the mark with this one.

Hey seems like the first part of GEORDIE LADS info is right

And the bit about Owen too imho. I've mentioned it in other threads and so have others. We are so very, very close to being a progressive club, yet so very, very far away.

In a nutshell, if Owen thinks we're moving forwards, he'll stay. It's all up to Ashley to fuck off and the prospective buyers to convince Owen to stay with us. :(

Edited by Ken

Don't want Americans, their economy is going down the pan quicker than ours :(

All the more reason to invest in something tangible overseas. ;)

Aye. It's all about the value of the $ to the £..

Don't want Americans, their economy is going down the pan quicker than ours :(

All the more reason to invest in something tangible overseas. ;)

Football doesn't strike me as an industry were you are likely to make money.

Unless you are:

2w1t93t.jpg

Don't want Americans, their economy is going down the pan quicker than ours ;)

All the more reason to invest in something tangible overseas. :D

Football doesn't strike me as an industry were you are likely to make money.

Unless you are:

2w1t93t.jpg

:(

I think it's more about not losing it....when share prices are volatile then I guess people invest in things that have a more stable value.

I don't really know what I'm talking about btw. :(

Don't want Americans, their economy is going down the pan quicker than ours :D

All the more reason to invest in something tangible overseas. :icon_lol:

Aye. It's all about the value of the $ to the £..

That too....I was looking at going to America a while back and I still might but the pound has "lost" about 25% compared with only a few months ago.

Edited by Asprilla

Anyone paying more than £250m for the club at the moment is frankly retarded. At £200m they'd probably need extra help.

What are you talking about?

If abramovic's cock bought us he wouldnt need help you fuckin plum. Anyone with Billions are sitting pretty through the financial crisis. Even more so the yanks if they invest in sterling assets, which will become strong again!

Plum

Think you should change your name to Plop

Edited by Geordie Lad...

Anyone paying more than £250m for the club at the moment is frankly retarded. At £200m they'd probably need extra help.

If abramovic's cock bought us he wouldnt need help you fuckin plum. Anyone with Billions are sitting pretty through the financial crisis. Even more so the yanks if they invest in sterling assets, which will become strong again!

Plum

You'd clearly pay £480m for the club. :(

Plum

Il repeat...what are you talking about Plop?

Plum

Il repeat...what are you talking about Ploppy Pants? ;)

The club has been independently valued at £200m (prior to this seasons self-destruction), now Ashley has put in £234m (£134m to buy, +~£100m debt) all told, so he's unlikely to want to make a loss.

Almost all of the "interested parties" we've been linked with would have raised their finance in ways that the current global conditions make pretty much impossible (they simply haven't got £280m or £200m simply burning a hole in their pocket).

However even the few that we've been vaguely linked with that were independently wealthy enough to buy the club outright are canny enough to know it's a buyers market and won't be held to silly prices (which Ashley is still doing or we'd currently be owned by Man City's new owners).

Ashley himself is worth maybe 1/2 of what he was when he bought the club, which is the problem with theoretical wealth it can disappear as quickly as it appears, and is both a gambler and prepared to take massive risks for a profit.

Ashley's prices of £480m and £350m were pie in the sky dreamt of by a desperate gambler (even prior to the current world financial issues), but even £280m is a daft price for anyone to pay for us at present.

The question is whether Ashley will give, or whether he'll play his cards to the bitter end, because no one with any business sense is going to waste their own money (and they'll not get hold of anyone else's money to risk at present) on a club that is 1/3 over valued.

Maybe their is a vastly personally wealthy lunatic out there ready to buy us, but I doubt it.

Edited by Fop

Plum

Il repeat...what are you talking about Ploppy Pants? ;)

The club has been independently valued at £200m (prior to this seasons self-destruction), now Ashley has put in £234m (£134m to buy, +~£100m debt) all told, so he's unlikely to want to make a loss.

Almost all of the "interested parties" we've been linked with would have raised their finance in ways that the current global conditions make pretty much impossible (they simply haven't got £280m or £200m simply burning a hole in their pocket).

However even the few that we've been vaguely linked with that were independently wealthy enough to buy the club outright are canny enough to know it's a buyers market and won't be held to silly prices (which Ashley is still doing or we'd currently be owned by Man City's new owners).

Ashley himself is worth maybe 1/2 of what he was when he bought the club, which is the problem with theoretical wealth it can disappear as quickly as it appears, and is both a gambler and prepared to take massive risks for a profit.

Ashley's prices of £480m and £350m were pie in the sky dreamt of by a desperate gambler (even prior to the current world financial issues), but even £280m is a daft price for anyone to pay for us at present.

The question is whether Ashley will give, or whether he'll play his cards to the bitter end, because no one with any business sense is going to waste their own money (and they'll not get hold of anyone else's money to risk at present) on a club that is 1/3 over valued.

Maybe their is a vastly personally wealthy lunatic out there ready to buy us, but I doubt it.

Well you maye know your stuff but those figures of £300mil and £280mil were banded about by the media. There no definitive statements made from MA nor his associates to what he was actually asking for?

Only recently has the brokering company stated that MA would only make a small profit so £250mil fits into all that quite nicely doesnt it?

Fact is the club will go for very close to £250mil, MA doesnt want to hang about here so id imagine that it will be one of these two americans who stump up the money as it is a very VERY good time for them to do so.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

:( Forgive me father for I know not what I do when I say.....

Fops right though,

Its never a good time to pay over the odds, never mind during a recession.

But is £250mil over the odds is what im saying? im thinking its a pretty fair price...

Fops right though,

But is £250mil over the odds is what im saying? im thinking its a pretty fair price...

He paid out £134 mill to buy it, invested £100mill in the debts yes? Total outlay £234million.

The squad is arguably worth less than it was when he bought the club, attendances are down, we have a manager now who is way down the managerial pecking order compared to the bloke we had in when he bought us. We have lost backroom staff with no mention of replacements and to top it all off there is now a recession so everything is worth less than it was 2 years ago (the land it sits on, the stadium itself even the club vehicles and machinery will all have depreciated quite a bit).

In any other sector you would be laughed out of town if you bought a business, ran it shit for two years and then tried to sell at a profit.

Fops right though,

He paid out £134 mill to buy it, invested £100mill in the debts yes? Total outlay £234million.

The squad is arguably worth less than it was when he bought the club, attendances are down, we have a manager now who is way down the managerial pecking order compared to the bloke we had in when he bought us. We have lost backroom staff with no mention of replacements and to top it all off there is now a recession so everything is worth less than it was 2 years ago (the land it sits on, the stadium itself even the club vehicles and machinery will all have depreciated quite a bit).

In any other sector you would be laughed out of town if you bought a business, ran it shit for two years and then tried to sell at a profit.

How much would your valuation be then?

I have no financial experience so I wont even attempt to guess, all I do know is it should be below £234million. To put it into perspective its like me or you going out and buying a new house for £150grand, ripping the garage off and putting a crown green bowls pitch (is that the right terminology?) in its place and two years later trying to sell it for £170,000 when all other houses in the street have dropped in value.

I have no financial experience so I wont even attempt to guess, all I do know is it should be below £234million. To put it into perspective its like me or you going out and buying a new house for £150grand, ripping the garage off and putting a crown green bowls pitch (is that the right terminology?) in its place and two years later trying to sell it for £170,000 when all other houses in the street have dropped in value.

I's have thought it would be lawn... not pitch. happy to be proven wrong though.

Fops right though,

It's been "independently" valued at £200m, but that was prior to this summer never mind now.