NEWCASTLE TO GO AMERICAN

Jimbo

He paid out £134 mill to buy it, invested £100mill in the debts yes? Total outlay £234million.

The squad is arguably worth less than it was when he bought the club, attendances are down, we have a manager now who is way down the managerial pecking order compared to the bloke we had in when he bought us. We have lost backroom staff with no mention of replacements and to top it all off there is now a recession so everything is worth less than it was 2 years ago (the land it sits on, the stadium itself even the club vehicles and machinery will all have depreciated quite a bit).

In any other sector you would be laughed out of town if you bought a business, ran it shit for two years and then tried to sell at a profit.

How much would your valuation be then?

I have no financial experience so I wont even attempt to guess, all I do know is it should be below £234million. To put it into perspective its like me or you going out and buying a new house for £150grand, ripping the garage off and putting a crown green bowls pitch (is that the right terminology?) in its place and two years later trying to sell it for £170,000 when all other houses in the street have dropped in value.

I's have thought it would be lawn... not pitch. happy to be proven wrong though.

Or green? :(

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He paid out £134 mill to buy it, invested £100mill in the debts yes? Total outlay £234million.

The squad is arguably worth less than it was when he bought the club, attendances are down, we have a manager now who is way down the managerial pecking order compared to the bloke we had in when he bought us. We have lost backroom staff with no mention of replacements and to top it all off there is now a recession so everything is worth less than it was 2 years ago (the land it sits on, the stadium itself even the club vehicles and machinery will all have depreciated quite a bit).

In any other sector you would be laughed out of town if you bought a business, ran it shit for two years and then tried to sell at a profit.

How much would your valuation be then?

I have no financial experience so I wont even attempt to guess, all I do know is it should be below £234million. To put it into perspective its like me or you going out and buying a new house for £150grand, ripping the garage off and putting a crown green bowls pitch (is that the right terminology?) in its place and two years later trying to sell it for £170,000 when all other houses in the street have dropped in value.

I's have thought it would be lawn... not pitch. happy to be proven wrong though.

Or green? :(

A crown green bowls green?

"thats a very green crown green bowls green"

Latest from Orville...

Keith Harris, the man who has brokered five Premier League takeover deals, believes the credit crunch could affect clubs seeking new owners as benefactors become more cautious.

Harris, who has masterminded deals at Chelsea, Aston Villa, Hull, West Ham and Manchester City and is seeking buyers for Newcastle and Everton, claims the economic downturn has made it tougher to find investors willing to risk moving into the top echelons of the game.

"It has never been more difficult to find buyers," said Harris.

"It's no longer a question of price negotiation - it's should we? People are wondering if now is the time to spend."

Harris is particularly concerned Liverpool may find themselves in financial difficulty if joint owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett fail to pay back a reported £350million worth of debt.

He also claims Merseyside rivals Everton are no longer a realistic proposition to be bought out.

"Liverpool's debt is due in January, with maybe a six-month extension," said Harris.

"The two banks which are the principal lenders - the Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia - are two of those that have suffered. Whether they want to lend it again or not, they may not be able to."

Equally alarming, said Harris, was the situation at Everton where there has been no movement in terms of a buyer for the Goodison Park club who, like Liverpool, want to build a new stadium.

"There is no progress at all," said Harris, chairman of Seymour Pierce investment bank and a former Football League chairman.

Harris, speaking after a private address to football financiers in Zurich, re-iterated there were still two offers on the table for Newcastle but refused to name them.

"The work is progressing. They are wealthy investment funds, not from the Middle East but they do tick the test," he added.

"The people behind them are first rate. They are capable of doing the deal and of investing in and managing the future.

"I don't know how to predict when we might do the deal."

And one for Stevie..

Meanwhile, Harris has also been given the task of finding buyers for Newcastle and Everton, but admits there is little to report on the latter.

"There is no progress at all (on Everton)," Harris said.

"The demographics of Liverpool as an area are not hugely compelling. It is not a very wealthy city and Everton share the city with another club which has been in the vanguard for the last decade.

"They both have a stadium to build, so the economics need a lot of looking at, whereas Newcastle is a one-club city with a fabulous stadium."

Galaxy chief denies Toon bid

Los Angeles Galaxy owner Philip Anschutz has denied having any interest in buying Newcastle United.

Anschutz, reportedly the 31st richest person in America, was said to be part of one of two US-based consortiums looking to take charge of the Premier League club.

However, Anschutz's AEG company - who own the O2 Arena in London's docklands - have issued a statement confirming that they nor anyone connected with them was in talks about Newcastle.

"Neither AEG nor anyone affiliated with the organisation are in negotiations or are contemplating the purchase of Newcastle United Football Club," said the statement.

Anshultz's denial came soon after FC Dallas owner Clark Hunt - another who was linked - was ruled out of the running.

"There's nothing to it. They're happy with the sports investments that they currently have. They're not pursuing Newcastle or any other sports franchise at this time," said FC Dallas spokesman German Sferra.

Keith Harris, chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce, is the man charged with finding a buyer by Newcastle owner Mike Ashley.

Harris revealed the American interest earlier this month which led to the speculation about who it might be, but now two of the most likely candidates have been ruled out of the running.

Since Ashley made it known he wanted to sell Newcastle, parties from the Middle East, China, Nigeria and South Africa have been linked - but as with the Americans, no bid has yet materialised.

sky

I don't think it's as bleak as people are making out. We wont find out who it is until a bid is made or even until a deal is all but done.

Anschutz and Hunt may not be in the reckoning anymore but who's to say Warren Buffet or Bill Gates isn't interested :angry:

I don't think it's as bleak as people are making out. We wont find out who it is until a bid is made or even until a deal is all but done.

Anschutz and Hunt may not be in the reckoning anymore but who's to say Warren Buffet or Bill Gates isn't interested :(

Fill your boots with these 2 rich guys.

:angry:

I have it on good authority that its almost certain that no sale would now finalise until after January which means that we are effectively screwed, that then takes me back to a different thread in which its possible that any potential buyers will wait until the end of the season in case we go down.

Anschutz and Hunt may not be in the reckoning anymore but who's to say Warren Buffet or Bill Gates isn't interested :angry:

Admittedly you wouldn't really except to hear much about a genuine deal.

But if there's nothing done by January there'll not only be no additions to the squad (very much needed), but also we may well actively lose a lot of players in that window (and not just the 7 whose contracts run out in the summer), and several others by the end of the season.

If Ashley's not careful all he'll have left to sell is a name.

I have it on good authority that its almost certain that no sale would now finalise until after January which means that we are effectively screwed, that then takes me back to a different thread in which its possible that any potential buyers will wait until the end of the season in case we go down.

If that is the case, would they wait until after the Chelsea game to announce this bit of news or was JFK talking nonsense again?

I'd wait till april. gives you enough time to see where this godawful team gets in the league, if we are relegated that fat cunt ashley loses. which is nice!

er, but the rest of us lose too, which isn't nice

You might want to tell Caulkin that...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5150659.ece

Well heres what I know,

there is no 22/11 deadline day for anything other than Joe Kinnear himself. Ashley has never set this date, Keith Harris has no notion of that day being important even fucking Orville knows nowt about it. Its another bit of JFK bollock spouting, he may see it as an important date but nobody else within NUFC does.

People inside the club (and I dont mean tea ladies or a kid working on the ticket desk) are now admitting that the time it takes to do these things properly and the current lack of any bid at all mean that it is highly likely (if not almost certain) that any potential purchase would not happen before 31/01. Nobody other than another Mike Ashley will purchase this club without a full due dilligence and frankly MA at least could put some faith in Shepherd, nobody is that daft with Ashley.

Which, as I said earlier has to lead you to wonder if any potential purchaser would be stupid enough to take over a club that they have no realistic chance of turning around before the end of the season seeing as they cannot purchase players. Will they then hold off and if we go down purchase us at a hugely reduced price? or will they go through with the sale at £250million or so and then (if we're relegated) watch the value of their purchase slump and take the shit for it?

I dont think they would.

Well heres what I know,

there is no 22/11 deadline day for anything other than Joe Kinnear himself. Ashley has never set this date, Keith Harris has no notion of that day being important even fucking Orville knows nowt about it. Its another bit of JFK bollock spouting, he may see it as an important date but nobody else within NUFC does.

People inside the club (and I dont mean tea ladies or a kid working on the ticket desk) are now admitting that the time it takes to do these things properly and the current lack of any bid at all mean that it is highly likely (if not almost certain) that any potential purchase would not happen before 31/01. Nobody other than another Mike Ashley will purchase this club without a full due dilligence and frankly MA at least could put some faith in Shepherd, nobody is that daft with Ashley.

Which, as I said earlier has to lead you to wonder if any potential purchaser would be stupid enough to take over a club that they have no realistic chance of turning around before the end of the season seeing as they cannot purchase players. Will they then hold off and if we go down purchase us at a hugely reduced price? or will they go through with the sale at £250million or so and then (if we're relegated) watch the value of their purchase slump and take the shit for it?

I dont think they would.

i've heard that the current stregth of the dollar to the pound has forced the hand of one of the bidders.

Well heres what I know,

I dont think they would.

I beg your pardon, but I am a bit naive at this: If there is a buyer in the works, would they be able to arrange for the purchase of players (through MA I would imagine) in the upcoming window? Wasn't Robinho purchased for Man City prior to the actual takeover of the sheikh?

The takeover and the purchase of Robinho both went through on deadline day. As you say though, there must have been stuff in the offing prior to that.

Well heres what I know,

I dont think they would.

I beg your pardon, but I am a bit naive at this: If there is a buyer in the works, would they be able to arrange for the purchase of players (through MA I would imagine) in the upcoming window? Wasn't Robinho purchased for Man City prior to the actual takeover of the sheikh?

The way you'd have to look at it is would you? whether you were the buyers or MA, if the deal hasnt been sealed then MA is not going to be stupid enough to fork out £20million to buy players for the new boys and in turn they're not going to hand over that kind of cash until the sale is complete. What would happen if it fell through? They'd have bought us 3 players for nowt.

Well heres what I know,

I dont think they would.

The way you'd have to look at it is would you? whether you were the buyers or MA, if the deal hasnt been sealed then MA is not going to be stupid enough to fork out £20million to buy players for the new boys and in turn they're not going to hand over that kind of cash until the sale is complete. What would happen if it fell through? They'd have bought us 3 players for nowt.

I was figuring it would depend on how far the sale had progressed. If the due diligence is going through now, and the deal is near completion by the time the window opens, why not? I realize that this is reeeeeeeeealy stretching it but it is possible, isn't it?

trying to remain optomistic...