Subbuteo

Meenzer

I remember trying as hard as I could to like subbuteo, because everyone else did, but finding myself unable to get past the nagging doubt at the back of my mind that it was dull as fuck.

My mother would be seething to hear this after the money she spent on extras like faux perimiter fencing and fifties style cameramen.

The accessories were better than the game itself like.

agreed, my mate nextdoor got the astroturf ptch, i got the working floodlights, scoreboard, loads of tv crew etc, i remember getting a pub pool table for home (dont ask!!) i was about 8-9 at the time, and painted white lines on with tipex, it was class! my awld man bollocked me though :(

Edited by paddy

agreed, my mate nextdoor got the astroturf ptch, i got the working floodlights, scoreboard, loads of tv crew etc, i remember getting a pub pool table for home (dont ask!!) i was about 8-9 at the time, and painted white lines on with tipex, it was class! my awld man bollocked me though :(

That was one of the few ways it was really playable.

My old man bought a quality piece of ply which we glued our pitch on, it was the best in the street. Everyone else had to get their mam to iron it for hours then attempt to find some sort of flat surface. Not us. I also made sure I always bough the continental goals as well as they were class. I bought some for my mate last christmas off e-bay and we spent a highly enjoyable night getting drunk and recreating the epic battles we used to have.

Mate over the road had a permanent stadium on a table in his room. Proper stands and fans, was much more impressive than the game. I can remember having us in the 93/94 green and purple stripes kit though with one black player for Andy Cole.

I got it one Christmas when I was 7 or 8 and I can remember my Dad making all these grand claims about how he was going to fix the pitch to a thin sheet of wood, build a stadium for it etc.

Unfortunately none of the promises he made came true and I was stuck with a bobbly pitch :(

I had them.... my pyromaniac brother set fire to them though ;)

agreed, my mate nextdoor got the astroturf ptch, i got the working floodlights, scoreboard, loads of tv crew etc, i remember getting a pub pool table for home (dont ask!!) i was about 8-9 at the time, and painted white lines on with tipex, it was class! my awld man bollocked me though ;)

I had them.... my pyromaniac brother set fire to them though :(

While you were playing? It must've been like a mini Bradford fire :(

I think i have a Subbuteo-thread radar!

I could talk about the thing for ages tbh, i've grown up with it being in the house. My dad makes a living out of the game; creating teams, accessories, merchandise and the likes - he's one of the very, very few left around doing so. Some really special stuff actually, but obviously i'm gonna be bias. But anyhow, i grew up plaing the game constantly until a couple of years ago when it got too expensive getting around. Been absolutely everywhere; Brussels, Tournai, Bordeaux, Dortmund, Amsterdam playing on the European circuit. Some fantastic experiences like. Just to blow my own trumpet for a sec, i was England youth captain at the World Cup a couple of years ago. I could never play real football you see!

Great game. I can understand those who never took to it though. I still tend to favour it over a game of Fifa though.

I could talk about the thing for ages tbh, i've grown up with it being in the house. My dad makes a living out of the game; creating teams, accessories, merchandise and the likes - he's one of the very, very few left around doing so. Some really special stuff actually, but obviously i'm gonna be bias. But anyhow, i grew up plaing the game constantly until a couple of years ago when it got too expensive getting around. Been absolutely everywhere; Brussels, Tournai, Bordeaux, Dortmund, Amsterdam playing on the European circuit. Some fantastic experiences like. Just to blow my own trumpet for a sec, i was England youth captain at the World Cup a couple of years ago. I could never play real football you see!

Great game. I can understand those who never took to it though. I still tend to favour it over a game of Fifa though.

Do you know where to get the proper stuff from then Yorkie? Argos do a really expensive shit version of it or you've got e-bay..is ther somewhere else yoyu can the gear at reasonable prices? Would love to get into it again.

never saw the appeal to it

anytime i seen people playing it the green mat was always moving and getting rolls in it..

but then I was prob a bit past the subuteo generation... i had cocks to play with

fyp ;)

I loved it, I used to have all nighters at weekends when I was 9 and 10 with me mates, big tournaments. I think I had about 30 different teams, I remember having Millwall, England, Peru and Newcastle. I remember me mate having Man City and his dad wouldn't let him play with the keeper and had to put another one in nets from another team because the goalie was black. Bad crack. I loved subbuteo though.

I can confirm I spent many a gay hour in Meenzer's loft flicking balls around for hours, was some of the best fun I've ever had!

He had his on a snooker table and after a few hours of non stop flicking we just chucked the thing to the side and got down to potting some serious browns on the baize of love! ;)

I played Subbuteo a few times as a kid but I suppose everyone had a set.

For me Italia 90 was the first football game I really played - on megadrive - everybody loved playing it even though It is impossible to play now I remember people being decent at the time.

For some reason I also owned a Real Madrid kit at the time too - I was five/six and I apparently, to this day I think it was the work of my brother ;)

Do you know where to get the proper stuff from then Yorkie? Argos do a really expensive shit version of it or you've got e-bay..is ther somewhere else yoyu can the gear at reasonable prices? Would love to get into it again.

Pm'd you, mate.

Did you guys get the brilliant Test Match game over in the UK? From reading this thread it sounds pretty similar but was cricket instead.

1208936848731b14a5edg1.th.jpgthpix.gif

We used to have matches that would last for days during the summer, and fistfights over who would get to be Australia because really, why would you want to play as anyone else? We never had Subbuteo over here, but Test Match was brilliant.

Did you guys get the brilliant Test Match game over in the UK? From reading this thread it sounds pretty similar but was cricket instead.

1208936848731b14a5edg1.th.jpgthpix.gif

We used to have matches that would last for days during the summer, and fistfights over who would get to be Australia because really, why would you want to play as anyone else? We never had Subbuteo over here, but Test Match was brilliant.

I had that game. And at least two of the haircuts displayed by the kids on the box.

I had that game. And at least two of the haircuts displayed by the kids on the box.

It's a shame you don't anymore huh? :icon_lol:

No. No, it really isn't. :D

Come off it, I'd turn for you in a second if you had an 80s mullet. Without hesitation. ;) While making a face like that for you. :(