Queen Mother was ‘ghastly bigot’

Guest alex

Edward Stourton, the urbane presenter of the BBC’s flagship radio programme Today, has admitted thinking that the late Queen Mother was “a ghastly old bigot”.

In a book on political correctness, he reveals the content of a private conversation with her in the early 1990s. After he told her he was back from a European summit, she said: “It will never work, you know . . . It will never work with all those Huns, wops and dagos.”

Stourton writes: “The words were delivered with the eyes on maximum tiara-strength twinkle, but I am afraid I froze. The Nation’s Favourite Grandmother was, I thought, in fact a ghastly old bigot, a prey to precisely the kind of prejudice which had driven the conflicts the European project had been designed to prevent . . . I thought that what she had said was nasty and ugly.”

Stourton, whose son Ivo was a close friend of Prince William at Eton, is no stranger to royal controversy. After the Queen Mother died in 2002, he said in a heated debate on the Today programme that a tabloid newspaper was “quite comfortable in the gutter” because it had published intimate details of her last moments before death.

Stourton said this weekend that he may have been harsh on the Queen Mother. “I didn’t mean to be severe,” he said. “I just thought it was a striking illustration of how our attitudes have changed.”

He added: “The Queen Mother came from a certain generation when people did talk like that.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5114788.ece

;)

The irony of "hun" is staggering - I know she was English but her family by marriage is rather Germanic.

I also always found "the nations favourite grandmother" thing a henious insult to everyones proper nanas.

The irony of "hun" is staggering - I know she was English but her family by marriage is rather Germanic.

I also always found "the nations favourite grandmother" thing a henious insult to everyones proper nanas.

Saxe-Goethe isn't it?

Typical of her generation like-and tbf as the article hints, like it or loathe it, it's testamant to the European Union that we don't generally think like that anymore.

Apart from Stevie of course.

Typical of her generation like-and tbf as the article hints, like it or loathe it, it's testamant to the European Union that we don't generally think like that anymore.

Apart from Stevie of course.

Stevie's ringpiece/mouthpiece has protected regional identity status tbh.

the Royal Family have survived so long because they are , in a lot of ways, the same as the rest of us

they're not very bright, they have no interest in Art but prefer the gee-gees, never read anything but go out and kill dumb animals, riddled with divorce and dysfunctional kids, snobby as hell and (in the past) petty-racist

sound like a lot of my family TBH

finally it's apparent. Rob is Prince Charles...

a bit of work there and you could have worked in "her apparent" or summat - try harder next time

Or heir apparent even :angry:

It's prince Charles's 60th birthday today isn't it?

Happy birthday you jug-eared cunt. :angry:

Aye. Have you seen the clip of him on the front of the Express?

Aye. Have you seen the clip of him on the front of the Express?

No, but given Prince Charles and the Express are two of my least favourite things I doubt I'll like it. :(

Anyone see that Tourettes doc where the bloke I'm sure just used the disease as an excuse (I think Tourettes is more random) and came out with the immortal:

"Ho, Charles, you jug-eared cunt, does Camilla take it up the shitter or what?"

Hands up if you want to be a 'subject' of this:

71017_1.jpg

I like a man who stays in touch with the Man in the Street....

Can you imagine what his wardrobe must look like................ must be the size of Fenwicks