'Greasy Spoons' to close unless they offer healthy alternatives

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Health nazis strike:

'Greasy Spoons' to close unless they offer healthy alternatives

Roadside 'greasy spoon' vans will be forced to close unless they offer healthy alternatives like salads and low fat yogurts.

The snack vans, often found in busy lay-bys, must also limit the amount of mayonnaise served - because it has been branded a "very high fat product".

Environmental health officers in Guildford, Surrey, will inspect menus during routine hygiene checks.

And traders who fail to meet the strict new standards, will be refused a street trader's licence when it comes up for renewal each year.

Councillors at Guildford Borough Council reviewed their street traders policy and insisted every menu has at least one healthy option.

A report to the council's licensing committee said: "In accordance with the council's health promotion programme, it is recommended that at least one healthy meal choice be provided for customers."

But Clifford Bell, head of environmental health at the council, said: "It remains for the trader to design his menu around the principles of healthier catering, such as grilling rather than frying.

"The aim is to give consumers a wider choice and move away from the sole provision of high calories, high fat fast foods."

The list of recommended food includes low fat grilled sausage with wholemeal bread, chilli con carne with lean mince and jacket potato with a selection of fillings.

Grant Harris, who runs the 'Skip's Catering food van' from a lay-by on Guildford's A281 said: "Our customers are mainly scaffolders, builders and lorry drivers and they are not going to want this new food.

"The sandwiches and jacket potatoes are more suited to a sandwich bar.

"The rules seems to be going over the top with political correctness.

"Some of the things the council is suggesting I serve would cause a bit of a problem - I just can't see people wanting them."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't people do what they want?

People know what they are getting when they go to a place like that and for most people it's a one off.

Which is why at Leeds festival we call them 'Rat burgers'.

First they came for the cigarettes, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a smoker.

Then they came for the booze, and I didn't speak up because I could still afford my booze.

Then they came for salt, fat and sugar, and I didn't speak up because it was good for me™.

They they came for me, and I realised it didn't matter because there was fuck all left to enjoy anyway. ;)

First they came for the cigarettes, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a smoker.

Then they came for the booze, and I didn't speak up because I could still afford my booze.

Then they came for salt, fat and sugar, and I didn't speak up because it was good for me™.

They they came for me, and I realised it didn't matter because there was fuck all left to enjoy anyway. ;)

You could put the average Joe in Auswitz and he'd be alrght as long as he could do the lottery.

You could put the average Joe in Auswitz and he'd be alrght as long as he could do the lottery.

Lottery and Sky TV and he'd actively enjoy it. :icon_lol:

Lottery and Sky TV and he'd actively enjoy it. :icon_lol:

It would be difficult to keep them out tbf. :D

what a load of crap

"sorry i know it's your business and your not doing anything wrong by selling unhealthy food and the people generally buying it have just came out of a pub after drinking 10pints + but were going to tell you what your allowed to sell them"

that'll be the next enforcement

pubs only allowed to serve you a daily amount of booze

They're working on it. It will be like a credit card and and once you've had so much it won't work or summink.... ;)

what a load of crap

"sorry i know it's your business and your not doing anything wrong by selling unhealthy food and the people generally buying it have just came out of a pub after drinking 10pints + but were going to tell you what your allowed to sell them"

Pretty much spot on.

... Apart from all the "you're" stuff of course.

A purely symbolic gesture. How much would it cost a chippy van to offer a salad sandwich with a bit of lettuce and tomato that they would have anyway? I can't see this have much effect at all.

Symbolic? Or just some bollocks? ;)

Fecking nanny state nonsense. :icon_lol:

A purely symbolic gesture. How much would it cost a chippy van to offer a salad sandwich with a bit of lettuce and tomato that they would have anyway? I can't see this have much effect at all.

Well a lettuce and tomato sandwich with 3 day left overs not a lot (the bigger issue being as it won't have been fried to within an inch of it's life you'll be taking your life in your hands eating it), but anything half decent given that Tesco can sell it pre-bagged at a significantly higher cost per gram than fillet steak, probably quite a lot tbh.

Well a lettuce and tomato sandwich with 3 day left overs not a lot (the bigger issue being as it won't have been fried to within an inch of it's life you'll be taking your life in your hands eating it), but anything half decent given that Tesco can sell it pre-bagged at a significantly higher cost per gram than fillet steak, probably quite a lot tbh.

What are you on about?

What are you on about?

That trying to pay lip-service with either kill some one or cost them a fair bit.

What are you on about?

That trying to pay lip-service with either kill some one or cost them a fair bit.

It'll do neither but it's no surprise to see you going out of your way to take the opposing view.

What are you on about?

It'll do neither but it's no surprise to see you going out of your way to take the opposing view.

I think it would, but I suspect a lettuce and tomato sandwich (white bread? ;) ) wouldn't meet their criteria anyway.