Smokin' Joe Documentary

Monkeys Fist

Anyone see the documentary on More4 last night?

Detailed the history of the bad blood between Ali & Frazier, unusually tho presented Ali as the bad guy.

Really enjoyed it, tho was saddened to see how frazier has been basically left out in the cold.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye. It was good. I've read and seen other stuff about how Ali forgot about the favours Joe had done for him when the former was banned. It didn't really tell me anything new. It was still well worth a watch though.

Ali was an absolute cunt to him.

Shame Frazier can't let it go though. From his own point of view more than anything else. I think the bitterness he still has towards Ali is only harming himself.

Old Joe didn't do himself any favours either.

Revelled in Ali's current state, claiming responsibilty for it early in the programme.

And Paccheco,Ali's ring doc, was just a prick.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Shame Frazier can't let it go though. From his own point of view more than anything else. I think the bitterness he still has towards Ali is only harming himself.

Definitely.

I loved that episode on 'The Fight' based on this btw. Which was a fantastic series.

Definitely.

I loved that episode on 'The Fight' based on this btw. Which was a fantastic series.

This wasn't up to the standard of 'The Fight'. Although it was done from a more straightforward documentary p.o.v.

True. His (Frazier)brother said the same.

tbf Ali never apologised to him in person.The things he said went beyond the reasonable bounds .

True. His (Frazier)brother said the same.

tbf Ali never apologised to him in person.The things he said went beyond the reasonable bounds .

I totally agree. He's the one who is being eaten up by the grudges he still holds though. The whole thing is very sad when you look at both boxers. The only thing I would say in Ali's defence is that he wasn't his own man. That's a character flaw on his part too though.

Seeing the state of his current circumstances, compared to Ali, you can sort of understand his grudge. I agree tho, he'd probably be a lot happier if he let it go.

Tell you what tho- great to see some real boxing wasn't it? ;)

He wasn't Ali's greatest fan mind,was he?

Feckin Brute tho

Came across as pretty bitter himself. He was a great champ mind. Didn't really have the quality of opponents that Ali fought though, which is what made Ali the legend that he is as much as anything.

Can't see there ever being the number of top fighters around at same time again. Ali, Foreman,Frazier,Norton,etc.

AHH, nostalgia. ;)

Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran in the 80's came pretty close in my opinion.

Can't see there ever being the number of top fighters around at same time again. Ali, Foreman,Frazier,Norton,etc.

AHH, nostalgia. ;)

Hagler. :icon_lol:

AHH, nostalgia. ;)

Great days to be honest. Our era as well (or more so than the 70s anyway). Also, the fights were shown on terrestrial tv as it was pre-Sky so you had someone like Barry McGuigan back in the day being a much more famous figure than someone like Calzaghe now imo (with interest going beyond the realms of just boxing fans).

AHH, nostalgia. ;)

True

Favourite out of the above?

I'd have to say Duran.......

or Sugar Ray...

but Hagler was awesome.....

and Hearns! :icon_lol:

AHH, nostalgia. ;)

True

Favourite out of the above?

I'd have to say Duran.......

or Sugar Ray...

but Hagler was awesome.....

and Hearns! :icon_lol:

I loved Hearns, for sheer excitement, you never knew if he was going to knock out or be knocked out, the first round of his fight with Hagler was just incredible, as was his KO of Duran, and I'll never forget his fight with Iran Barkley, Hearns mugged him mercilessly for 2 and half rounds then got stood on his head.

Hagler still won it Jimbo. ;)

Absolutely, but what a fight !

But I admire Hearns for his sportsmanship, he didn't disclose the fact he'd broken his hand in the first round as he didn't want to take any of the gloss of Hagler's win.