Smokin' Joe Documentary

Monkeys Fist

Hagler still won it Jimbo. ;)

Absolutely, but what a fight !

But I admire Hearns for his sportsmanship, he didn't disclose the fact he'd broken his hand in the first round as he didn't want to take any of the gloss of Hagler's win.

I wasn't on about that fight. :icon_lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hagler still won it Jimbo. ;)

Sorry Jonny, the penny just dropped, you're talking about Hagler Vs Leonard aren't you.

Like fuck he won it. :icon_lol:

Can't see there ever being the number of top fighters around at same time again. Ali, Foreman,Frazier,Norton,etc.

AHH, nostalgia. ;)

Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran in the 80's came pretty close in my opinion.

Hagler. :D

Sugar Ray. :icon_lol:

Heard the theory it was a fix on occasion, which carries some weight as Hagler was unusually subdued. I don't think Hagler won it and was robbed though. Leonard was the deserved winner (as I remember it anyway).

Leonard didn't hand Hagler a beating, but he certainly out-pointed him, clearly landing more punches than Hagler, Hagler's problem was Leonard's punches didn't hurt him so he barely tried to block them, I'm just disappointed Hagler spat his dummy out and didn't fight on.

Leonard didn't hand Hagler a beating, but he certainly out-pointed him, clearly landing more punches than Hagler, Hagler's problem was Leonard's punches didn't hurt him so he barely tried to block them, I'm just disappointed Hagler spat his dummy out and didn't fight on.

Really?

Really?

I heard Hagler say that in an interview after the fight, Leonard's punches were pitter-patty in comparison to what he'd taken from the likes of Hearns and Mugabi etc

Really?

I heard Hagler say that in an interview after the fight, Leonard's punches were pitter-patty in comparison to what he'd taken from the likes of Hearns and Mugabi etc

The Beast. Not sure how well that name would go down these days.

Gutted I missed it. Is there any way of watching it again online or something?

Keep an eye out, it will probably be on again, More4 repeat frequently.

Ali was a right bastard to Sonny Liston as well, accusing him of being some sort of thick black puppet for white men iirc. Pretty harsh stuff, although they reckon Liston was bumped off by the mafia.

As an aisde, if anyone has ESPN Classics, they're showing Ali V Foreman now.

Ali was a right bastard to Sonny Liston as well, accusing him of being some sort of thick black puppet for white men iirc. Pretty harsh stuff, although they reckon Liston was bumped off by the mafia.

Didn't Ali appear on Liston's doorstep in the middle of the night with his entourage carrying a bear collar ?

I think Liston and most of the media thought Ali (Clay at the time) was just a nutter rather than being malicious.

Didn't Ali appear on Liston's doorstep in the middle of the night with his entourage carrying a bear collar ?

I think Liston and most of the media thought Ali (Clay at the time) was just a nutter rather than being malicious.

:angry:

Not only is it sickening that Holyfield can walk straight into a title shot, it's a travesty that he is even still allowed to box, is he determined to kill himself ???

Spot on. Total disgrace on both counts, especially the latter. Also highlights the dearth of heavyweight talent around at present.

Not only is it sickening that Holyfield can walk straight into a title shot, it's a travesty that he is even still allowed to box, is he determined to kill himself ???

Spot on. Total disgrace on both counts, especially the latter. Also highlights the dearth of heavyweight talent around at present.

Sadly there is more chance of a Gary Glitter revival than there is for one for the Heavyweight division.