6 Years ago today

Jimbo

In a bizarre way, with hindsight, I've often thought we might have been better drawing as that side would have had a great chance in the Uefa Cup that year. Unbelievable night though.

Aah I remember this day well.

Got kicked in the head playing football at uni (won the game, saved a pen and kept a clean sheet) and ended up with a fractured eye socket.

Of course I didn't know this at the time and decided to go out drinking and watch the game. Nothing heavy of course.

Anyhoooo.... a few cheeky WKDs later (hey I was a student, they were cheap and therefore allowed) and a Bellamy goal to celebrate it was decreed that a nightclub beckoned (had watched the game with ice over the offending eye to stop it from bulging shut - it was a lovely shade of purple by now but I digress). To cut a long story short I pulled a young Northern Irish lass who looked like Jacki Degg (in her early 2000s prime).

A good day all round I'm sure you will agree

My favourite football moment!

Just a thought though...

Given

Hughes

Griffin

Dabizas

O'Brien

Jenas

Dyer

Speed

Shearer

Bellamy

Viana

That was the standard then...i honestly dont think we are anyworse than that starting 11, - stability and a decent manager like :angry:

Given

Beye

Coloccini

Taylor

Bassong or Enrique

Duff or N'zogbia

Butt or Guthrie

Barton

Gutierrez

Owen

Martins

Id say we have arguably a better starting 11 that the one of 2002, i guess it just shows how much stability means and just how much sides have improved over 6 years.

Just a thought though...

Given

Hughes

Griffin

Dabizas

O'Brien

Jenas

Dyer

Speed

Shearer

Bellamy

Viana

That was the standard then...i honestly dont think we are anyworse than that starting 11, - stability and a decent manager like :angry:

Given

Beye

Coloccini

Taylor

Bassong or Enrique

Duff or N'zogbia

Butt or Guthrie

Barton

Gutierrez

Owen

Martins

Id say we have arguably a better starting 11 that the one of 2002, i guess it just shows how much stability means and just how much sides have improved over 6 years.

I think you're underestimating the quality of the 2002 first 11 a bit. The front six were all quality (OK I'd replace Viana with Robert) and the Back 4 were a solid premeirship standard at least. Of course having a capable midfield to take the pressure off helped, as did the confidence factor of knowing that we had goals/chances in every one of our front six, along with two centre backs who were good in the opposition box (yes I know O'Brien was hardly prolific but he was a great nuscience)

Just a thought though...

Given

Hughes

Griffin

Dabizas

O'Brien

Jenas

Dyer

Speed

Shearer

Bellamy

Viana

Given

Beye

Coloccini

Taylor

Bassong or Enrique

Duff or N'zogbia

Butt or Guthrie

Barton

Gutierrez

Owen

Martins

I think you're underestimating the quality of the 2002 first 11 a bit. The front six were all quality (OK I'd replace Viana with Robert) and the Back 4 were a solid premeirship standard at least. Of course having a capable midfield to take the pressure off helped, as did the confidence factor of knowing that we had goals/chances in every one of our front six, along with two centre backs who were good in the opposition box (yes I know O'Brien was hardly prolific but he was a great nuscience)

Your right in what your saying but your missing my point, i agree our side was of a good standard, and although individually they werent fantastic, together they we pretty good...this is why i said its amazing what stability and a good manager can do for a decent side. Now i think we have a starting 11 of players miles more gifted than those of 2002 we just need a good manager to pull them all together and some stability.

When you compare the two its an interesting thought that just how good could our side be now under a good manager?

hmmm

Was at the game. I have a memory of gazing t'wards the Rottterdam faithful, my eyes rested upon an attractive Dutch girl - blond, slim and tall .. Bonjour madame...

Within seconds she was doing slit throat signs, trying to climb the plexy glass, gurning and flicking the v's towards the massed geordie faithful..

Never judge a book!!

Didn't it secure qualification to the next group stage after at one point having played 3, lost 3?

Most definitely the best game I've been at.

Aye. Only team to have qualified after losing the 1st three games. Or at least we were at the time.

Seem to recall that we needed Juve to get beat and they obliged (being already through). Think that was the same season we beat them at SJP when Griffin scored that belter?

Seem to recall that we needed Juve to get beat and they obliged (being already through). Think that was the same season we beat them at SJP when Griffin scored that belter?

Same season we beat them. Griffin scored but it was a slightly fortuitous goal that was really an OG as it went under the approaching Buffon's arm and wouldn't have gone in without deflecting off him. We deserved the win however.

I remember "watching" that game via message boards (was it this one?) and the text updates on the bbc website while at work. When we had won I hit my desk so hard that it broke at the end (one of those built in a cubicle) and immediately asked if I could go and have a smoke break.

Forgot all about that...

Ah yes, remember watching it whilst playing the game with as similar teams as possible on pro evo. Also remember switching the channel, distraught and unable to finish watching with about 5 minutes to go, and going back to invision on teletext. Could not believe my eyes when Bellamy's name popped up.

Have just sat down and watched that season DVD so many times when the current team has me depressed. Whilst obviously not as good as the Keegan team in terms of nearly winning the league, there was something about the pace of that team and the ridiculous spirit we showed all season. There was a ridiculous run where we went behind about 5 times in a row after midweek champions league games and won 4 and drew one, or something like that. I even got into a run of waiting for us to go behind, then playing out the match on pro evo, and watching us make the comeback. It was a shock when that finally didn't work

Andy Griffin only went and scored a screamer the next week (after his Juve heroics) against Charlton as well. The thing that sticks with me from the Champions League is that Robson brought Steve Harper in for the game against Juve seeing as it seemed to be a dead rubber at the time and he wanted to alternate the keepers. Anyway Harper did a horrendous miskick that Juve should have scored from but missed.... Amazing how different the season would have been if he'd been punished.

For what its worth, my favourite moment as a Newcastle fan came listening on the radio to Arsenal 1 - Newcastle 3 and Robert breaking away to seal victory, end our 30 games without a win in London, and to go to the top of the league at the beginning of the new year. I really thought that was going to be our season

Wow, just wow. If coloccini lives up to his billing he'd be better than o'brien and dabizas, fair enough. Apart from that, if you're honestly comparing the players at their 2002 performance with how the current crop have performed at newcastle, I'm not sure there's anyone else I'd have in. Close calls would be beye vs hughes, but hughes was a really solid player at that time of his career and even popped up with some key assists, so I'd probs just stick with him. I'd have 2002 bellamy over current Martins and Owen without hesitation. The midfield is just a huge no contest. Jenas, Speed, Dyer, and even Viana when he tucked in, all played really well that season. Viana had a great run in the second half of the season, and jenas was in his pre-goldfish days when he really contributed going forward. And nicky butt has just made speed look about 10x the player i thought he was when he was still here - i thought speed was damn good, but thought that butt would be even better, how wrong I was.

Not even sure that the current team could beat the 2002 team in their current condition.........

Wow, just wow. If coloccini lives up to his billing he'd be better than o'brien and dabizas, fair enough. Apart from that, if you're honestly comparing the players at their 2002 performance with how the current crop have performed at newcastle, I'm not sure there's anyone else I'd have in. Close calls would be beye vs hughes, but hughes was a really solid player at that time of his career and even popped up with some key assists, so I'd probs just stick with him. I'd have 2002 bellamy over current Martins and Owen without hesitation. The midfield is just a huge no contest. Jenas, Speed, Dyer, and even Viana when he tucked in, all played really well that season. Viana had a great run in the second half of the season, and jenas was in his pre-goldfish days when he really contributed going forward. And nicky butt has just made speed look about 10x the player i thought he was when he was still here - i thought speed was damn good, but thought that butt would be even better, how wrong I was.

Not even sure that the current team could beat the 2002 team in their current condition.........

On collective performance yes the 2002 was better, my point being if the current crop of players were under SBR guidance or a manager of similar calibre, twinned with off the pitch stability, i think our current starting 11 would be a better side.

Maybe,maybe not

I just can't see it. The current team is filled with players with their best years behind them, and won't have their best years for a bit or may never have their best years... only a couple who I look at and think those are players who we may see the best of.

Very few of the 2002 team went on to have say more than 2-3 seasons where they performed at a higher standard. Maybe something is down to the manager and a stable environment, but I think it comes down to having a team full of players who were pretty much at their peak (regardless of their age), none of whom had "stepped down" to newcastle

and lots and lots of pace - bellamy, robert, jenas, dyer were fast and intelligent at using their pace (c.f. martins), which managed to fantastically complement shearer, nobby, speed, and even viana (who I still think could have made it in the prem regardless of his slowness/slightness, had he not been cast asunder post-marseille)