Some gossip

bobbyshinton

Definitely not an "in the know" but based on common sense (owen's thankfully not newcastle's) I can't see him going to a club that isn't the "big 4" or man city. I don't think Villa is a big enough step up from us (although I would much rather be in their position than ours) for it to be worth Owen uprooting at this stage of his career, and if O'Neill is happy with the way his team play, I don't see the point of getting Owen instead of a big strong striker

So out of the 5 clubs I think he'd leave us for (or I guess he could try the continental life again)

arsenal - he's not better than van persie and adebayor, and isn't a wenger type of player. Wenger may be after experience, but thats more for the centre of midfield or defence

man utd - better than tevez/rooney/berbatov - no!

liverpool - possible, maybe as a cheap replacement if they had to sell torres/keane if these financial problems aren't the usual newspaper bollocks.

chelsea - regardless of what the papers say it will not happen. they've already got 2 strikers who can't play 442, and anelka is close to the form of his life. unless scolari really wants to play 442 and gives up on the anelka/drogba partnership it seems a pointless move

man city - only realistic option in the premier league. they are definitely short a decent striker, and can afford him. if they get a european manager, they'll probably go to europe for a striker, but if hughes is in charge I can see him going for owen. only thing with man city is if they've got so much money, is there any need to go the cut-price route?

I actually think that, as long as he isn't forced out of the club, Owen will definitely stay this January sign a contract, and give us till next january, and either a chance to recoup a decent transfer fee, or stay with us for the rest of his career... Obviously if we get relegated then <_<:angry::(:naughty:

Edited by Neville Neville Neville

Definitely not an "in the know" but based on common sense (owen's thankfully not newcastle's) I can't see him going to a club that isn't the "big 4" or man city. I don't think Villa is a big enough step up from us (although I would much rather be in their position than ours) for it to be worth Owen uprooting at this stage of his career, and if O'Neill is happy with the way his team play, I don't see the point of getting Owen instead of a big strong striker

So out of the 5 clubs I think he'd leave us for (or I guess he could try the continental life again)

arsenal - he's not better than van persie and adebayor, and isn't a wenger type of player. Wenger may be after experience, but thats more for the centre of midfield or defence

liverpool - possible, maybe as a cheap replacement if they had to sell torres/keane if these financial problems aren't the usual newspaper bollocks.

chelsea - regardless of what the papers say it will not happen. they've already got 2 strikers who can't play 442, and anelka is close to the form of his life. unless scolari really wants to play 442 and gives up on the anelka/drogba partnership it seems a pointless move

man city - only realistic option in the premier league. they are definitely short a decent striker, and can afford him. if they get a european manager, they'll probably go to europe for a striker, but if hughes is in charge I can see him going for owen. only thing with man city is if they've got so much money, is there any need to go the cut-price route?

I actually think that, as long as he isn't forced out of the club, Owen will definitely stay this January sign a contract, and give us till next january, and either a chance to recoup a decent transfer fee, or stay with us for the rest of his career... Obviously if we get relegated then :naughty::angry:<_<:flowers:

I would argue the opposite and say that any of a dozen clubs in the Premiership are clearly better options for MO than us. Before Stevie dives in with "bollocks are Villa, City, Blackburn etc etc bigger than us!" I mean better potential for a player. We are nothing at this moment, no chance of winning anything or moving into bigger and better things. The only thing this club may do this season that changes its status from a mid to bottom end Premiership club is be relegated. :(

Like I said, they are better options, but I don't think they're a big enough step up for it to be worth it to him. I did forget about Spurs actually, which could be an option if they keep moving up the table. I just look at the likes of Everton, Portsmouth, Blackburn, etc and think that the way things are we could quite easily have swapped positions by next year.

I would put Man City, Villa, and a Spurs firing on all cylinders, plus le grande quatre, as the only teams who are enough of a step up currently for them to be a realistic option. And I'd discount Villa because I think they're better off without him

Relegation would obviously change everything

I actually think that, as long as he isn't forced out of the club, Owen will definitely stay this January sign a contract, and give us till next january, and either a chance to recoup a decent transfer fee, or stay with us for the rest of his career... Obviously if we get relegated then :naughty::angry:<_<:flowers:

I would argue the opposite and say that any of a dozen clubs in the Premiership are clearly better options for MO than us. Before Stevie dives in with "bollocks are Villa, City, Blackburn etc etc bigger than us!" I mean better potential for a player. We are nothing at this moment, no chance of winning anything or moving into bigger and better things. The only thing this club may do this season that changes its status from a mid to bottom end Premiership club is be relegated. :(