JFK: Given going nowhere

smoggeordie

JOE KINNEAR has warned Harry Redknapp he is wasting his time eyeing Shay Given.

Redknapp had hardly got his feet under the table at White Hart Lane before he went public with praise for the 32-year-old Newcastle United keeper.

And judging by the way Spurs shot-stopper Heurelho Gomes seems to be suffering from an attack of butter-fingers, it’s easy to see why Redknapp is on the look-out for a replacement – and is looking in the direction of Given.

However, Kinnear told me today: “I can save Harry the time and money and tell him not to bother even picking up the telephone, because there is no way Shay Given will be leaving this club.

“We want to build up Newcastle United and get good players in, not good players out.

“And why would he want to go to Spurs? This is a bigger club than Spurs.” :angry:

These words coming from a former Spurs full-back may upset a few people at White Hart Lane, but they will give Given a lift as he prepares to go in against Wigan Athletic at St James’s tomorrow.

Added Kinnear: “Shay Given has a lot of presence. All great goalkeepers have it. He’s a Republic of Ireland international, but he reminds me a lot of a Northern Ireland keeper Pat Jennings, who I played in front of most of my time at Spurs.

“I have the utmost respect for Shay Given, as have most people in the game.

“He has vast experience and he is vital to us and, not only that, but he is a decent fellow.”

Kinnear is fully aware that Given has had to face no fewer than SIX penalties in the Premier League this season – easily more than any other keeper.

No team this century has conceded more penalties than United in the Premier League at this stage of the season.

Blackburn did likewise in 2006-07 and ended up giving away 11 by the end of the season.

No wonder Kinnear added: “I can only hope that we do not end up with as many penalties as that against us by next May.

“Shay Given deserves better than that.

“I know he considers a penalty to be a cheap goal against him, and don’t forget one of the goals he conceded at Sunderland was direct from a free-kick.”

The three points are the most important thing tomorrow, but a clean sheet and no visiting penalty would be just what the doctor ordered for Given.

But United have only kept three clean sheets in their last 15 Premier League games – against Aston Villa and twice against Bolton Wanderers at St James’s Park when, on the second occasion, Given saved a Kevin Nolan penalty.

This sounds like it has been written by a twelve year old.

Redknapp had hardly got his feet under the table at White Hart Lane

However, Kinnear told me today

No wonder Fleet street is based in London.

No wonder everyone thinks you're a moron.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

Papers haven't been in Fleet St for years.

Papers haven't been in Fleet St for years.

I refer you to the post just above yours.