Michael Owen

Ayatollah Hermione

Right, since the Wigan thread has devolved into the old Owen/Martins argument, let's all talk about our favourite (not-so-much-right-now) England star.

Personally, I love Owen. When he's played, he's been nothing short of the striker we need him to be; his goal record is great and they've dragged us out of the shit so often, it's shocking. While I think we overpaid for him, I can't stand when the circumstances that are out of his control, like the transfer fee, get held as some sort of criticism toward Michael Owen as the player, as the lead goalscorer. The fact we payed £17 million should not detract from the fact that he's, by far and away, the best striker we have and without him, we'd have thrown away a lot more points than we've gained because of him.

Just a shame we've not seen more of him.

That's the only thing that makes him "overpriced", but that's just NUFC luck.

All those years of him being mostly fit in a decent team and he might well have been an utter bargain. :lol:

Top bloke. Top player. I'll be gutted when he leaves and we won't see his like again in a Newcastle shirt in a LONG time.

Exactly. You'd think he personally decided his transfer fee and deliberately got himself seriously injured a couple of times the way he gets criticisim, none of that was his choice.

He' a model pro, comfortably the best player we have at the club, and we won't get a player of his level again the way the club is going at the moment.

Martin's can be spectacular but isnt close to Owen as a footballer who is one of the most intelligent off the ball runers in football and a clinical finisher. He also uses the ball well himself when passing and has worked his arse off in plenty of games for us.

Within 10 minutes of coming on he'd worked himself instinctively into three good goalscoring positions. Our other strikers would take a season to manage that. He's the only one who knows how to play as a striker. Owen's future is so critical I think it could prove an influence over a new choice of manager.

Best player at the club by a mile. Gets far too much stick for things outside his control (the daft money Fat Fred paid for him, his freak injuries and being picked for the national side) by the numpties who wouldn't recognise class if it kicked them up the arse while holding a sign saying "Hello. I am class." :lol:

I actually believe he wants to stay at the club to providing the future of the club is sorted. If we're not sold in January I still don't think he'll go unless someone offers a ridiculous amount because he is key to our survival.

Does anyone think we stand any chance of him signing a new deal?

Its going to be a very very nervy january. If we are under new ownership by january i can see him signing, if we dont get taken over till mid january we are going to be fighting an uphill battle. And if we dont sell the club at all in january then its definatly bye bye mo!

Id say its 40/60 against us. It all balances on if and when the club is sold.

Top bloke. Top player. I'll be gutted when he leaves and we won't see his like again in a Newcastle shirt in a LONG time.

Nail/head.

We've been spoilt really, having top class England strikers ever since we entered the Prem. As I've said before we'll miss him when he's gone, even those who slate him now will. Especially when we're playing Shola and Carroll up front.

Within 10 minutes of coming on he'd worked himself instinctively into three good goalscoring positions. Our other strikers would take a season to manage that. He's the only one who knows how to play as a striker. Owen's future is so critical I think it could prove an influence over a new choice of manager.

Not only managers, but he brings in commercial cash and is bound to have an influence players decisions too.

Newcastle Utd without Owen is a much less attractive proposition for buyers, managers, and future players IMO.

Shame we couldn't work ourselves into a more attractive position so that he would be more inclined to sign a new deal.

The fact is, as much as he may or may not want to leave, he'll still put in a good shift and more often than not score vital goals. What would Berbatov be doing in a similar situation?

It's frustrating, he'd be a major reason behind a new owner signing the dotted line, and a new owner would be a major deciding factor behind Owen siging on the dotted line.

IF we got a Lerner-clone who was ready fund a managers foray into the market I honestly believe that Owen would stay until the end of the season at least, but as things stand, if Liverpool or the like came knocking I just can't bring myself to begrudging him a Christmas move. I'll hurt, because as has been said he's a natural goal scorer and they're few and far between and massively important for teams in and around the relegation mire.

we need him far more than he needs us.

Start of the season it really he was going to be staying longer than most of us had even expected. All was rosy back then I guess.

Situation now is back to when he first signed or got injured: just counting the days until he leaves.

Totally agree. Best player at the club imo, since Shearer in the 2003-4 season.

You get nuggets who have a go at him for the miss at Fulham, and the two before the goal against Wigan, but the fact is, in 2 spells totalling 35-40 minutes of football since coming back from an injury, he's got into positions you're very unlikely to see Martins & Ameobi in, 4 times (including the goal). We'll not be able to replace him, simple as.

Kinnear quells Owen rift reports

Newcastle United interim manager Joe Kinnear has dampened rumours of a rift between him and Michael Owen after the striker claimed he has been fit to play for 'a couple of weeks'.

Owen has been eased back into first-team action following a groin injury and came off the substitutes' bench to score in the 2-2 draw against Wigan Athletic last Saturday.

However, the 28-year-old was quoted as saying in the matchday programme at the weekend that he has been available for more playing time in recent weeks, sparking reports of growing friction between Owen and Kinnear.

The former Liverpool player wrote: "I have only played as sub in the last couple of games. The manager has preferred to bring me gradually back in - but it was only a small injury and I've been ready to play for a couple of weeks."

But Kinnear said in the Daily Mirror on Monday: "It must be right then... I'd say he is about 80 per cent. He needs to be brought back gently. We know what Michael is capable of. No one asked these questions when we beat Aston Villa.

"Michael Owen is the best player at the football club. I have to make these decisions. Which ever decisions I make are never right.

"I took off Spiderman [Jonas Gutierrez, to boos from the crowd] and you will have a field day with that. It is a difficult job making decisions isn't it? Whatever decision I make you'll go against it."

Kinnear also outlined his desire for Newcastle to tie down Owen on a new deal with the forward's current contract due to expire at the end of the season, but conceded he is powerless due to his temporary role on Tyneside.

He added: "I'd like to talk to him but I am on the outside, not the inside."

I think he will def be off but it will not get announced until the summer leaving us another six months of will he/won't he sign a new contract in the press everyday. The only small chance we have of him staying on is if a new owner comes in and appoints Shearer..

Will be a long long time before we have anyone as good at the club. I think he is perfect for a club who has a good squad and can accept that he will only play maybe 20 a season. Fact is, despite seldom playing a full season, he would still have a bigger impact over forwards who do. Its not just the goals but his presence on the pitch and effect that has. Personally I think we should be bending over backwards to keep him, but then again, there's a lot of things we should be doing as a club but are not.

Top player, I agree. In what way is he a top bloke though? Do you know him?

Probably has an autograph he can decipher... :lol: