Taylor for Chelsea

Scottish Mag

:lol:

Chelsea boss Phil Scolari is tracking England Under-21 star Steven Taylor with a view to a January swoop.

The Londoners are ready to take advantage of the Newcastle turmoil and make their move in the window - with the bonus that £12million rated Taylor, 22, has not played in Europe this season.

And the move could be ideal for the Blues with centre-half Michael Mancienne possibly heading to Wolves full-time after impressing on loan.

After some protracted talks, Newcastle almost reluctantly handed Taylor a new three year deal worth about £35,000 a week in the summer.

But teammates Alan Smith, Geremi, Joey Barton and Mark Viduka all bank £60,000.

Geordie Taylor, tipped to be a future Newcastle captain, would not normally want to leave St James' Park but things are far from ideal on Tyneside.

Liverpool have been long term admirers, while Spurs had a bid turned down in January 2007. But Chelsea have been keen on Taylor for some time, with former Newcastle coach Steve Clarke - now at West Ham - behind the interest during his time at Stamford Bridge.

The Blues, meanwhile, are calling off their bid for Norwich City's England youth keeper Jed Steer as their cutbacks claim a new victim.

They were planning a deal in the transfer window, with just £250,000 up front and the rest in extras.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_...-name_page.html

The Sunday rags are always good for a laugh....

We were talking about this yesterday. That because MA doesnt want to spend a penny on new players, JFK will be told to sell. If a offer came in for any player I think he'd consider it. We have some players that I think many teams would like such as Taylor, Zog, Given etc. At the moment, Im happy with Coll and Bassong. Colloccini was being beat on pace frequently yesterday however, I think those two could build up a good understanding and are much better than we've had for a while. I would keep Taylor though. He's prone to stupid mistakes but is better cover than cacapa imo.

Though I havent read it, apparently JFK commented on how there were good players in the championship to be had, also how he doesnt think our squad is good enough to fight a relegation battle. Which on yesterdays performance is probably right.

As much as Id love to see Taylor go and more importantly get 12million for him, if Ashley hasnt sold the club then we'll not see a penny of that cash.

Yup, Ashley's Champagne fund and no replacement. :lol:

As much as Id love to see Taylor go and more importantly get 12million for him, if Ashley hasnt sold the club then we'll not see a penny of that cash.

Exactly. That's the problem.

Now that the two potential buyers have entered into due diligence then that 12m would have to be reflected somewhere if he were to be sold so it would be unlikely to go straight into Ashley's pocket.

Now that the two potential buyers have entered into due diligence then that 12m would have to be reflected somewhere if he were to be sold so it would be unlikely to go straight into Ashley's pocket.

He'll just stick another £12m on the price.

And should these two buyers not exist? then what? or for that matter they exist but dont complete by end January? My belief is that during the transfer window Ashely will sell everything of note to replace them with cheap buys. If the club is sold then yes that cash would have to be accounted for but otherwise its his fallback, pull in as much as possible from a "firesale" so he has cash if no buyer completes.

And should these two buyers not exist? then what? or for that matter they exist but dont complete by end January? My belief is that during the transfer window Ashely will sell everything of note to replace them with cheap buys. If the club is sold then yes that cash would have to be accounted for but otherwise its his fallback, pull in as much as possible from a "firesale" so he has cash if no buyer completes.

I see what you're saying but if he does have a firesale then he'll have a bit in cash but then he runs the risk of getting us relegated with vastly reduced income next season and a far less attractive asset to sell. It's very much in Ashley's interest to ensure that we stay up this season.

I see what you're saying but if he does have a firesale then he'll have a bit in cash but then he runs the risk of getting us relegated with vastly reduced income next season and a far less attractive asset to sell. It's very much in Ashley's interest to ensure that we stay up this season.

You are basing that on the belief that this bloke is like any other businessman with any football business sense. He doesnt, this is the man who believes that he can sell players and get in others on the cheap from abroad, all with the intention of then selling on in 1 or 2 years time for a profit. This is the man who thought it good transfer sense to allow Dennis Wise to overrule a manager who was classed as a god around here and then lie about it time and time again. This is the man who employed Joe Kinnear. This is also the man who has gone on record to say he will not invest another penny in this club. However more importantly this is the man who is quickly losing all his assets through either daft business or gambling.

If hes willing to gamble on HBOS shares going up when the world says they'll go down then hes willing to bet that we'll stay up without any intervention.

Aye it'll take a bit of footballing sense but most of all it'll take business sense. Personally I don't think that Ashley has much of either but we have to hope that he's clever enough to realise that relegation will hurt both him and us and that in the end all he's worried about is himself.

Fair enough, but that does assume the sale will go ahead. I hope it does, obviously but I'm not too confident about it.

I have to disagree with both you and Craig here.

Aside of the fact that I obviously rate Taylor more than both of you ...

I think that selling players, particularly players who are a fabric of the club, now - at this point in time [not that we should ever do it] and this includes Shay Given, will send out all the wrong signals to everybody in football.

Going down the old road pre-Hall and Shepherd [yes I know, but it has to be said] is not an option, and will only cement the impression [and totally confirm it in the eyes of many] that we truly have gone backwards, back to those days.

Allowing such a thing to happen would be nothing other than a disaster.

Meanwhile, where is Baggy these days.......as he has reminded me on more than one occasion that I said I thought Taylor was a potential England Captain, when he was 18.

While he said that Cacapa should be our first choice central defender.

Has he disappeared up his arse now that this DOF bollocks he spouted on for ages is now seen as the utter shite it always was ?

I have to disagree with both you and Craig here.

Aside of the fact that I obviously rate Taylor more than both of you ...

I think that selling players, particularly players who are a fabric of the club, now - at this point in time [not that we should ever do it] and this includes Shay Given, will send out all the wrong signals to everybody in football.

Going down the old road pre-Hall and Shepherd [yes I know, but it has to be said] is not an option, and will only cement the impression [and totally confirm it in the eyes of many] that we truly have gone backwards, back to those days.

Allowing such a thing to happen would be nothing other than a disaster.

selling players though is fine as long as you have a better replacement lined up. 12mill should have ensured that but in the Ashley world we wouldn't.