Whelan pours scourn on Ashley's Newcastle regime

Jimbo

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has issued a scathing indictment of Mike Ashley's Newcastle folly by declaring Steve Bruce would not even consider moving to St James' Park until a takeover was completed.

Bruce, 47, is being championed for the Newcastle manager's position by no less than Sir Bobby Robson but Whelan is adamant he would not be interested in serving Ashley despite strong local connections.

"Steve won't come here and work with Mike Ashley," Whelan said. "There's no chance Steve would go near a club if it's not run the way he thinks it should be.

"Steve wants to work with a chairman who understands the game and does not expect too much, too soon. He wants respect and he will show you respect. He's great to work with."

Bruce's abilities were demonstrated by the way Wigan went about their work on Tyneside. Ryan Taylor put his side ahead early on before Emmerson Boyce was wrongly sent off. Newcastle's revival yielded Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins goals before Titus Bramble equalised.

"If someone could bring Newcastle silverware they'd go down in history as a God," Whelan added. "I hope it's not Steve Bruce because I get on so well with him but I know I have to face the fact that sometime he'll leave.

"He's so good, one of the big clubs will come for him. He's been linked with Newcastle in the past. He is from here. He loves Newcastle. There is no question about that. He's Newcastle through and through."

Ashley is trying to sell Newcastle and Whelan believes there can be no turning back for his rival sports retail tycoon following the resignation of Kevin Keegan in protest at transfers conducted above his head by the club's 'Cockney Mafia'.

"I spoke to him when the row started and I said 'Mike, just get your money back and step away'," Whelan added.

"He'll never repair the damage between himself and the fans. Because I know Mike, I said as soon as he can find a buyer he's gone.

"If Mike Ashley will sell it for the right money, he will sell it next week.

Now, is he being greedy? Yes."

Whelan also admitted to being dumbfounded at Owen's presence on the bench because he is the "best poacher in the world".

As Bruce enjoyed a post-match cup of tea with Robson, interim Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear, whose deal expires after Saturday's trip to Chelsea, defended his decision to "carefully" ease Owen back into action following injury but he is exasperated at his inability to sort out his captain's long-term future.

"Michael is priceless and I'd like to be in the position to sit down with Michael and talk about a new contract but I'm on the outside, not the inside," Kinnear said. "My rolling contract ends a week on Monday. If I'm offered another one I'd take it. If I'm here Michael's the last person I want to leave.

I'm a bit scared because this kind of sounds like a withered response to Steve Bruce perhaps wanting this job when we get taken over and he would be a strong candidate in the eyes of the future employers because of his experience with battling relegation teams and him (apparently) coming from here.

When it comes to running a football club Whelan is a million miles ahead of Ashley.

very true. wigans position in the table belies that defensively whilst fragile, they are a better team going forward than most of the bottom of the table sides. their centre backs though are even shittier than ours however.

When it comes to running a football club Whelan is a million miles ahead of Ashley.

very true. wigans position in the table belies that defensively whilst fragile, they are a better team going forward than most of the bottom of the table sides. their centre backs though are even shittier than ours however.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1770259/