Relegation

Chaser

This year more than any other year, I fear we could find ourselves in the bottom 3. Everyone seems capable of beating each other this season and we are very short in key areas, and look decidedly suspect in others. If this sale isnt completed by Christmas, I cant see a way out of it. I expect an exodus in January.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year more than any other year, I fear we could find ourselves in the bottom 3. Everyone seems capable of beating each other this season and we are very short in key areas, and look decidedly suspect in others. If this sale isnt completed by Christmas, I cant see a way out of it. I expect an exodus in January.

Hope this post is prophetic as that song was.

I feel the relegation swingometer has tilted our way again.

The current squad at full strength might just stay up- losing Barton is a hammer blow.

I think the transfer window is going to be brutal

Weve got 12 more home games - say we lose to Chelsea manu arse and lpool - that leaves 8 games, 24 points if we win all of them (lol)

I cant see us getting more than a couple of points away all season.

The spongebob predictor can see no way of getting 40 points this season - i think we are fucked

imo

That was a rather oblique reference to the England World Cup squad's song for 1982 btw. They weren't even the lyrics anyway. It was 'This time, more than any other time.' I just checked.

If you dont you're deluded. We are both full on in a scrap that could go on well into Feb IMO.

I know we're in a scrap but I don't actually think we'll go down. Or your lot, for that matter.

If you dont you're deluded. We are both full on in a scrap that could go on well into Feb IMO.

I'm not deluded, I'm in denial.

Spurs will be fine as there would be a media outcry if they went down/were still anywhere near the relegation zone come February. I know that's not an obviously logical statement, but the media pressure on the team forces up standards where they are not otherwise being enforced directly by management. This rule applies to a few 'media darling' clubs.

I think it's safe to say you'll be plying your arrogant, mid-table trade again next season no worries.

Some shit teams are doing well, and some average teams are doing shit.

Third bottom only had 10 points this time last year. It took 17 games for the 18th place team to hit the 13 point mark they currently sit on. Last year was a low survival total. It looks like it'll be closer to the 39 or 40 points it usually is this time.

Can we win 9 games? I'd say so, pick any 9 from....

Home to Spurs, Stoke, West Ham, Mackems, Fulham, Boro, Everton, Portsmouth

Away to WBA, Tottenham, Blackburn, Wigan, Stoke, Bolton and Hill.

I think Fulham, Stoke and West Brom will do well to avoid the bottom 3 come May. In addition to that I think the likes of Wigan, Bolton and perhaps even Sunderland and West Ham will all finish below Newcastle and Spurs.

Might be reading the situations wrong but i think there may be bother for Portsmouth and west ham i think perhaps their choice of manager and current economic factors may play a part in their end of season position. Not sure about blackburn either as well as the obvious contenders wba and stoke

I think Fulham, Stoke and West Brom will do well to avoid the bottom 3 come May. In addition to that I think the likes of Wigan, Bolton and perhaps even Sunderland and West Ham will all finish below Newcastle and Spurs.

No way Fulham. Firing on all cylinders with baldy up front now.

West Ham are in trouble without a doubt. I think Portsmouth will be alright and if they aren't, the players need to take a good look at themselves.

Edited by alex

I think it's a false hope for them. Fully expect them to crash and burn.....

Internet £10? :lol:

I would have said Stoke, West Brom etc were nailed on. thing is, Stoke and a few others are picking up points you wouldnt have thought. We're definitely one that could drop but its anyone guess at the minute. Unlike most seasons, there's no one or two nailed to the bottom of the table and any could get dragged back down. Im more worried this year than I have been for a while. Normally Ive looked and identified 3 teams I thought were worse that us without question. I cant do this at the moment.

I'm not deluded, I'm in denial.

:icon_lol::lol:

It entirely depends on when we are sold, or what happens in January if we are not.

I would have said Stoke, West Brom etc were nailed on. thing is, Stoke and a few others are picking up points you wouldnt have thought. We're definitely one that could drop but its anyone guess at the minute. Unlike most seasons, there's no one or two nailed to the bottom of the table and any could get dragged back down. Im more worried this year than I have been for a while. Normally Ive looked and identified 3 teams I thought were worse that us without question. I cant do this at the moment.

This is the worry.

Have we played Stoke and WBA away yet?

I never bet money where the fate of NUFC is concerned.... :icon_lol:

You want to keep an eye on who they've played. Only 4 games against top-half teams (earned 4 points). 8 against bottom half (13 points). And they've got a worse away record than us, worst in the league in fact.

Well i am worried but i dont think we nor spurs will go down. We both have decent squads, having said that we are not to good to get relegated. I think there are a few obviously fundamental issue's currently that need to be resolved. Resolving these is imperitive to our survival.

First and foremost is the sale of the club. I cant see any benefit in MA holding on and not spending in january as it will only further disencourage potential buyers. As with owens contract. An under-contract Michael Owen and a half decent squad is far more sellable than a threadbare squad with a few talented individals and a key player out of contract at the end of the season.

Then we have the actual "football issues" to deal with, the lack of malgimation, understanding on the pitch and positional awareness. We have a number of individuals who are good players or potentially good players. It is knitting them together, building a well drilled understanding and re-creating our style of football which has deserted us in recent years that is the problem.

With the squad we have all is needed is to appoint a diciplined ambitious and knowledgable manager (Easier said than done i know) then sift out the dead wood (i.e geremi, cacapa, butt and smith) and start to re-build.

How many times have we all said and heard those words "re-build!"

But now more than ever it is the case, over the last few years we have said it was bad and change was needed, only now do we realise it was not as bad as we thought.

I have hope but thats all it is...my pint glass is quickly emptying.

Edited by Geordie Lad...