Weird "near-miss" transfers.

Optimistic Nut

Agree to an extent although I still loved Pav. He was superb on the deck by the way.

One of the best shot-stoppers I've seen play for us - probably only bettered by Given. But stick a ball in the air and he was all over the place.

Flapper Srnicek tbh.

I actually meant with his feet, which I didn't make clear. Class one time when he went to clear a ball, dropped his shoulder and made Ian Wright look daft. Thing is though, he only did because it was safer as the clearance might have charged down anyway. He didn't do it to showboat.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to work with bloke whose father was chairman of Darlo. When Pallister played a few games on loan at Darlo at the start of his career, we had chance to sign him for £300k but fannied about and so missed out. He went back to Boro and formed his partnership with Mowbray etc.

I'm sure we almost had Eto'o when he was at Mallorca (or wherever he was pre Barca)

Shearer nearly went to Barca under Bobby, but ended up with Ronaldo instead

I remember around the time we played Mallorca and a load of people, (I'm presuming they were on crack btw) were telling me that Eto'o was shite compared to Sherla. :jesuswept:

Liverpool nearly signed an 18 year old Christiano Ronaldo for £4 million, but couldn't come to terms with a contract/signing on fee. We didn't think he was developed enough to be worth it, United swooped in with 3 times that amount and gazumped us. Houllier decided a certain Sinama Pongolle had more potential.

Vidic was also coming to Liverpool at one stage, but...we all know what happened there.

A certain young Essien was Liverpool's for £2 million, but it was right at the end of Houllier's reign (after he'd signed the wonderful Cheyrou, Diao, Diouf etc) and the board refused to sanction the transfer.

Liverpool nearly signed an 18 year old Christiano Ronaldo for £4 million, but couldn't come to terms with a contract/signing on fee. We didn't think he was developed enough to be worth it, United swooped in with 3 times that amount and gazumped us. Houllier decided a certain Sinama Pongolle had more potential.

Vidic was also coming to Liverpool at one stage, but...we all know what happened there.

A certain young Essien was Liverpool's for £2 million, but it was right at the end of Houllier's reign (after he'd signed the wonderful Cheyrou, Diao, Diouf etc) and the board refused to sanction the transfer.

http://archive.thenorthernecho.co.uk/2003/1/15/107893.html

We we linked with Essien from Bastia there in Jan 2003.

we had Sammy Hypia and Brad Friedel as well :jesuswept:

We couldn't get the work permit for Friedel could we iirc? One thing that we missed back then was having a top class keeper, as IMO Pav was always a clown despite his status as some sort of cult-hero.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

The wearing of his "Pavel is a Geordie" t-shirt on the post-promotion lap of honour was a moment of genius by him as it endeared him to the fans no end.

But in reality he was a fucking liability at times, something which was evidently not lost on Keegan who tried to replace him numerous times (Hooper, Friedal, Hislop).

Sadly I think the better keeper was the one Keegan let go... Tommy Wright.

Friedel wouldn't have been as great an addition as he might seem at that point. His play at Liverpool when he did make it to the Premiership was hardly inspiring; Sander Westerveld being the preferred choice after James left. Wasn't until he went to Blackburn that he really became what he is/was.

Chris Guthrie told me he recommended Gullit and Van Basten to the Toon when they were still in Holland but we weren't interested.

Is he a keen fisherman Alex? Be about fifty odd.

Aye, very keen fisherman I think. Right age as well. I don't know him that well, although he was very good mates with my uncle when they were at school. I know his brother (Ron, who played for us and the Mackems) very well though. Chris played in Holland for a while. He was kitman and did a little bit of coaching at Newcastle in the Jim Smith / Ardilles era (or around about then).

His picture and caps were on the wall at my school as he went there and played for England schoolboys.

Edited by alex

Chris Guthrie told me he recommended Gullit and Van Basten to the Toon when they were still in Holland but we weren't interested.

Is he a keen fisherman Alex? Be about fifty odd.

Aye, very keen fisherman I think. Right age as well. I don't know him that well, although he was very good mates with my uncle when they were at school. I know his brother (Ron, who played for us and the Mackems) very well though. He played in Holland for a while. He was kitman and did a little bit of coaching at Newcastle in the Jim Smith / Ardilles era (or around about then).

His picture and caps were on the wall at my school as he went there and played for England schoolboys.

When I used to work for a firm of pubfitters many moons ago he used to come in every now and again and give us a hand and he always had NUFC training gear on. Only spoke to him a couple of times but my best mate who worked with me went working away with him a few times and he'd always rope my mate into going for peeler crab with him.

Meant to be an absolutely sound bloke and if you check the fishing reports in the Ronnie his name is always popping up, top fisherman apparently.

That's his brother Ron. He played LB for the Mackems when they won the cup. He also got a Fair Cup Winner's medal with us. I did hear a quiz question with him as the answer - i.e. who is the only bloke to have played in every round of the FA Cup (inc. all the qualifying rounds). As he played for Blyth during their famous cup run when they got to the 5th round.

I think Chris would still have been at school (-ish) when that photo was taken. Chris played professionally as well though.

Didn't Souness release Deco so he could make room in the Benfica squad for Michael Thomas?

Mark Pembridge, or so the storey goes, was only allowed a certain amount of foreign players and at this point Deco didn't have Portugese citizenship.

I remember Cantona going to Sheff Wed on trial. Was midway through a season IIRC rather than in the summer.

The press were more bothered about him being a nutter than his football ability and the concensus was the Sheff Wed got of lightly when he jumped ship to Leeds after his trial.

Hell on in Yorkshire though by all accounts - Trevor Francis especially.