Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy

Happy Face

Guns N' Roses have launched their new album on MySpace, days ahead of its release in shops.

Chinese Democracy, the US rock band's first album in 15 years, will not be available to buy until Monday.

But fans can hear the album on the band's MySpace page. They are one of the highest-profile acts to use the site to launch a record.

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

4 stars at rolling stone

The first Guns n' Roses album of new, original songs since the first Bush administration is a great, audacious, unhinged and uncompromising hard-rock record.

3 and a half at Spin

An outrageously overblown pop-metal extravaganza, Chinese Democracy feels like a perfect epitaph for all the absurdity and nonsense of the George W. Bush era -- one final blowout before Principal Obama takes our idiocy away.

The music toggles between two primary modes: grinding industrial rock and keys-and-strings balladry. (Imagine Rammstein covering Wings, basically.) Yet to that blueprint Rose and his battalion of musicians (including no fewer than five guitarists) append every trick new money can buy: hip-hop beats, Middle Eastern–influenced riffs, space-cowboy atmospherics, and, of course, Rose's still-astounding vocals, often multitracked into a paranoid boys chorus.

A- from AVclub

I find myself impressed by how close Chinese Democracy comes to fulfilling the absurdly impossible expectation it self-generated, and I not-so-secretly wish this had been a triple album. I've maintained a decent living by making easy jokes about Axl Rose for the past ten years, but what's the final truth? The final truth is this: He makes the best songs.

Who'd have thought Axl could ever pull it off?

Even when they were good, they were still shit.

You never seen them live?

I have actually. I still thought they were a bit shit. I went to see Faith No More. Gateshead Stadium about 1992-ish.

I have actually. I still thought they were a bit shit. I went to see Faith No More. Gateshead Stadium about 1992-ish.

I was stood behind you. :) Not their best performance (they were at the peak of their dysfunction weren't they?), but shit? :D (I didn't think Soundgarden or Faith No More were at their absolute best either, still good mind).

G'N'R Fan? Now it all makes sense.

Don't be nasty to Alex. :lol:

Faith No More were much better at the Mayfair. Soundgarden weren't particularly suited to a stadium gig either imo. Badmotorfinger was a quality album though. Fucked off well before the end of G 'n' R tbh. Didn't go to see them anyway though.

Even at their most pompous they could still belt out the songs just as ferociously as the old days.

Truly awesome band in their prime but egos and drugs fucked it all up.

Faith No More were much better at the Mayfair. Soundgarden weren't particularly suited to a stadium gig either imo. Badmotorfinger was a quality album though. Fucked off well before the end of G 'n' R tbh. Didn't go to see them anyway though.

Soundgarden (not then, but later) are the only band I've ever seen play a technically near perfect gig that was pretty much devoid of atmosphere. :)

Even at their most pompous they could still belt out the songs just as ferociously as the old days.

Truly awesome band in their prime but egos and drugs fucked it all up.

:D, but they wouldn't sign an autograph for Chezzy when he asked. :lol:

Soundgarden (not then, but later) are the only band I've ever seen play a technically near perfect gig that was pretty much devoid of atmosphere. :D

Alan fucking Partridge or what?

It's true. You're right that you'd never have seen that at a Steps gig though. :lol:

loved GnR, appetite for destruction was the first album i bought back when i was like 11 :lol:

seen Velvet Revolver twice, great gigs, and about as close to seeing the proper GnR lineup as I'm going to get (slash, duff, matt)

listened to a couple of tracks from the new album last night, just not impressed at all so far,

then add to it half the people on the album aren't even in the band anymore either, even robin fink is back with NiN.

And from what i heard it didn't sound like GnR should :D in bit's it sounded more like Nine inch Nails (probably finks influence)

whereas least velvet revolver were knocking out some good tracks with slash doing his guitar god bits etc

It's been in production (in on form or another) since about 1997 hasn't it? Amazing really.