South Park madness across the pond

soccermom

South Park Joke Gone Awry & Media Rant[/size]

It seems that a joke from the popular cartoon South Park titled “Kick A Ginger Day” got taken too literally

on November 20th in Medicine Hat and across the country. Teachers across the nation were warned by school boards to be on the lookout for attacks or out-of-hand jokes towards red haired children.

Throughout the day, My96FM describes that Facebook, one of the most popular social networking websites, also sported a public group declaring the event over a national scale. Continually throughout their “Free Speech Friday”, people have been calling in, discussing their thoughts on how Facebook and television is to blame.

In Medicine Hat, “Kick A Ginger Day” was accompanied by few students at various schools, including Medicine Hat High School, McCoy High School, Crescent Heights High School, refusing to go to school on November 20. In other cases, one student was allegedly kicked over 200 times, while in another case, one student was allegedly hospitalized after being kicked so hard.

This kind of behaviour, like with most semi-violent or violent situations, brings up the irresolvable questions that asks if television and video games provoke violence. Do they? Personally, I believe that if kids are raised poorly, it will have a good effect on their judgment and consciousness, and to determine properly what is right and what is wrong. There are, indeed as we all know and have heard the media report, some cases in which youths of well-standing families turn awry and do things unexpected and violence.

The Canadians are getting as mad as the yanks!!! fucking hillarious tho!

:D

Posted in cbcnews.ca on the 20th Nov:-

Not funny: students warned to avoid South Park 'ginger' prank

South Park has both sparked outrage and won applause for its irreverent and often crude brand of satire. South Park has both sparked outrage and won applause for its irreverent and often crude brand of satire. (Comedy Central/Associated Press)

Officials with a Newfoundland and Labrador school board are warning students they will be disciplined if they take a joke from the popular cartoon series South Park too far.

Fans of the button-pushing television show celebrate something called Kick A Ginger Day on Nov. 20, flowing from the show's pokes at red-haired children as "born with a disease" and "nasty." The supposed "event" has sparked a rash of groups, in support and against, on the social networking site Facebook.

Officials with the Eastern School District are worried the joke will take a violent turn, with real-life red-haired children getting kicked.

"These types of things can occur in a school-age population," said Tony Stack, principal of St. Peter's Junior High School in Mount Pearl, who sent an e-mail to parents after he heard about the prank.

"But when you constantly reinforce it through positive means, then it goes a long way towards preventing that type of behaviour from occurring."

The Eastern School District warned all schools in its jurisdiction about the possibility of violence after receiving complaints.

Const. Kevin Foley, who runs anti-bullying workshops for the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, said police will not hesitate to investigate schoolyard incidents if they suspect a crime has been committed.

He said no student should accept behaviour that could hurt him or her.

"First of all, you do have the right to be there without fear of being the victim of youth violence," Foley said.

"If you do see somebody who is causing a problem, notify the school administration so that the problem can be looked after."

Stirring controversy and pushing buttons have been part of South Park since the often-satirical U.S. series debuted in 1997 and began chronicling the lives of foul-mouthed schoolchildren living in a fictional Colorado town. The show's targets have included celebrities, religion, politicians, global warming and any number of topical issues.

South Park, though, has also won praise from high places. In 2006, the show won a Peabody award for its irreverent yet brave satire.

and also... ( can you believe theres a place called flin flon!!!!???)

Flin Flon parents warned over Kick a Ginger day

South Park has sparked outrage and won applause for its irreverent and often crude brand of satire.South Park has sparked outrage and won applause for its irreverent and often crude brand of satire. (Comedy Central/Associated Press)

What began as a joke on an animated TV show has riled school officials and parents in Flin Flon, Man.

It's called Kick a Ginger Day and it started on the television show South Park. The program describes red-haired children as "born with a disease" and "nasty," and the supposed Nov. 20 "event" has sparked a rash of groups, in support and against, on the social networking site Facebook.

Warnings have been sent out to parents in a Flin Flon elementary school, cautioning of potential problems for red-headed children on Thursday.

Parent Laurie Bellisle said her six-year-old daughter, who has red hair, is afraid.

"My daughter's in Grade 1," said Bellisle. "We didn't have this problem last year, they never said anything about it. But I think through Facebook it's become more popular. And she was scared. So I'm letting her stay home today."

And it's not just in Flin Flon. School officials in other jurisdictions have warned that Kick a Ginger could create problems in the schoolyard. Officials with a Newfoundland and Labrador school board have warned students they will be disciplined if they take a joke from the popular cartoon series South Park too far.

Bellisle said while it's an awful way for a child to learn about discrimination, the school has been very proactive in its response. She said she received a letter Wednesday from the school warning there could be problems.

The letter also listed some advice for parents: "We're asking that you support us in dealing with this issue by speaking with your son or daughter about the implications of what they are doing if they participate in this act of discrimination. Also if you have a child who has red hair we would like you to encourage reporting any bullying because of the hair."

:aye:

Must not have had an impact cos posted on cbcnews.ca on the 21st Nov.......

Assault on red-haired student investigated as hate crime

Thirteen suspensions were handed out at Calgary's St. Francis High School.Thirteen suspensions were handed out at Calgary's St. Francis High School. (CBC)

Thirteen high school students in Calgary have been suspended after a red-headed teen was beaten because of the colour of his hair.

The Grade 10 boy was attacked in the locker room of St. Francis High School after gym class Thursday, students told CBC News.

The victim was taken to hospital for examination, and a spokeswoman for the Calgary Catholic School District said Friday he sustained "some minor bruising" to his upper body.

Calgary police are looking into the assault as a possible hate crime.

"The fact of the matter is from a policing perspective, it is a hate crime, and this individual was targeted because of the fact they have red hair," said police spokesman Kevin Brookwell.

CBC News has also learned that two red-haired, Grade 7 girls at St. Alphonsus Elementary/Junior High School were swarmed and kicked repeatedly by older girls on Thursday. Board spokeswoman Janet Sutherland said two students have been suspended in that case.

The attacks came on a day promoted by a Facebook group as Kick a Ginger Day. The Facebook group urged members to kick people with red hair — referred to as ginger kids — on Nov. 20.

The phenomenon appears to be linked to South Park, an animated TV show. An episode of the satirical show that originally aired in 2005 dealt with one character's mindless prejudice against red-haired people.

One student admitted kicking red-haired friends at school as a joke but says things went too far.One student admitted kicking red-haired friends at school as a joke but says things went too far. (CBC)

Calgary police said they were aware of the campaign but decided not to issue any warnings.

"We didn't want to bring any more profile to this campaign to the city or the students and so the decision was that we would just see what happened," said Brookwell.

Ken Logel, a Grade 12 student at the northwest St. Francis High School, admitted kicking some classmates had been a running joke all day.

"I have a few buddies with red hair. You just kind of kick them lightly just as a joke. But when it gets carried way, that's not cool," he said Friday.

His friend, Simon Burke, added: "Some kids took it too far in the locker room yesterday and ended up really hurting one of the kids at our school. It's really hard to hear about it and I'm pretty disappointed in the kids that did it.

"Mostly, kids at the school are pretty good people and don't really expect people to be hurting other ones just for having red hair. It's just pretty ridiculous."

The high school is also investigating.

"From what I understand, he was targeted based on the colour of his hair," said Sutherland. "Regardless of why the incident happened, I think it's important to note that violence in school is never tolerated."

This week, schools in Manitoba and Newfoundland and Labrador sent warnings to students and parents about the prank.

Twenty students from a Vancouver Island middle school were sent home Thursday after they kicked red-haired schoolmates.

Just totally unbelievable, it shows that you can persude those crazy assed foreigners into doing owt!!! :)

No ides which episode it is hun, trying to find it myself! if ya get any luck please post a link. ;)

:aye: The only episode I can think of is season 9 ep 11 called ginger kids it'll be on south park zone and allsp but I cant remember it mentioning kick a ginger day :D because I just checked and season 12 has ended.

:aye: The only episode I can think of is season 9 ep 11 called ginger kids it'll be on south park zone and allsp but I cant remember it mentioning kick a ginger day :D because I just checked and season 12 has ended.

Its gotta be more recent than that if all this is KICKING off right now!!

He ;) He

:aye:

Chillax, I'm guessing by that display your a ginge too??

Sounds like a kick up the backside may be whats needed to cheer you up!!! lol

No I'm not a ginna, but I like Ginna's. Especially one Mr Joshua Homme.

;)

Chillax, I'm guessing by that display your a ginge too??

Sounds like a kick up the backside may be whats needed to cheer you up!!! lol

:lol:

No I'm not a ginna, but I like Ginna's. Especially one Mr Joshua Homme.

josh-homme.jpg

Please accept by way of an apology. B)