What can you tell me about Exeter?

Steve

I know Toonraider will probably know, but has anyone else been to Exeter?

I want to go home you see, and one of my options before I go is to take a job in Exeter. The pay is better than up here, and because I'm only temp they can guarantee me longer than Manchester seem to be willing to. That and the weather forecast is always a few degrees warmer than Manchester, I'm sick of this winter shit and it's not even December yet. I've been to Torquay and while that was a nightmare it was more job related than anything else, despite what I'll say because taking the piss is fun.

Anyway, is anyone able to tell me anything about the place that I can't read on Wikipedia?

they play at St James' Park.

Newcastle once lost 4-0 there.

Sick of winter ? I thought you Aussies were real men :D

I used to know a girl from there .....

Apart from that, give it a go, its all experience.

I want to go home you see, and one of my options before I go is to take a job in Exeter. The pay is better than up here, and because I'm only temp they can guarantee me longer than Manchester seem to be willing to. That and the weather forecast is always a few degrees warmer than Manchester, I'm sick of this winter shit and it's not even December yet. I've been to Torquay and while that was a nightmare it was more job related than anything else, despite what I'll say because taking the piss is fun.

Anyway, is anyone able to tell me anything about the place that I can't read on Wikipedia?

Exeter is a nice place mate. I live down the road from there so i go shopping up there once a year and its a good place to go. Very good night life too.

It's 2½ hours and 60 quid from civilisation. I'd still go for it though - if there's a clearly marked exit door on the horizon, I bet you can take any old shit if the pay's OK.

Steve, when you arrived in the UK you reckoned it was dump. Then when I saw you recently you reckoned you were moving here for good. Now you're off home again. There's a lass involved here, isn't there? :D

:D

Obviously I think Torquay is far superior Steve! I hate their football club (mandatory being a Torquay fan of course) Dont go watch them, come watch us.

But aside from that, Exeter is fine. Shopping centre is not bad at all, eating out is ok, obviously night life is nothing to Newcastle. I love walking around the Cathedral and quayside/canal area. And untill today its been positively warm here! Has to be better than Manchester surely? Plus you are near to some stunning scenery as I'm sure you know, like Dartmoor and the beautiful south west coastline.

(I bloody sound like the South-West's tourist board here) :aye:

Plus you can get a train direct to Newcastle from Exeter or even fly.

Forgot to mention, check out the underground passages. Cathedral is worth a look. Often good concerts/shows at Westpoint too.

Some good piccies on this site too.

http://www.exeterviews.co.uk/

Edited by Toonraider

It's 2½ hours and 60 quid from civilisation.

Just like I am now. ;)

Steve, when you arrived in the UK you reckoned it was dump. Then when I saw you recently you reckoned you were moving here for good. Now you're off home again. There's a lass involved here, isn't there? :D

England's still a dump. :aye:

There's no lass involved, I just miss my family and friends at home. I've been here four years now, and the month at home really made me realise what I'm missing. I'm 29 next year, and I want to spend the last year of my twenties at home before I officially turn old.

I've just had enough. But I'm not stupid enough to go home without some £££ in my pocket now the Aussie $ has dropped.

Thanks to everyone that replied. :) I've passed through Exeter quite a bit in the past but never really spent much time there. Now, I have another option as well. What do people know about Stafford?

Obviously I think Torquay is far superior Steve! I hate their football club (mandatory being a Torquay fan of course) Dont go watch them, come watch us.

I didn't even see a Torquay match when I was down that way. I used to travel back to London for the weekends and during the week worked quite long hours because their department was fucked and needed Super Steve to fix it. B)

But aside from that, Exeter is fine. Shopping centre is not bad at all, eating out is ok, obviously night life is nothing to Newcastle.

So there aren't chavs everywhere, is that what you're saying? Sign me up! ;)

I love walking around the Cathedral and quayside/canal area. And untill today its been positively warm here! Has to be better than Manchester surely? Plus you are near to some stunning scenery as I'm sure you know, like Dartmoor and the beautiful south west coastline.

(I bloody sound like the South-West's tourist board here) :lol:

Like I said I never really stuck around to see Torquay and the surrounds when I was down last time, but this will be a full on proper move so This is the kind of thing I'm after.

Of course, only when it starts to warm up. This single digit temperature shit is getting old.

they play at St James' Park.

Newcastle once lost 4-0 there.

Sick of winter ? I thought you Aussies were real men :lol:

I used to know a girl from there .....

Apart from that, give it a go, its all experience.

Some makem who played for them was twatted on the pitch here back in 92/93ish.

nice place - but quite small compared to Newcastle

not far from the sea, good scenery, relatively easy commuting and the natives aren't quite so rabid as their up country cousins

Also good road, rail & air connections

Well Super Steve, looks like we've made your mind up for you, Exeter it is!

Stafford sounds incredibly dull, and isnt it near to Wolverhampton? Nooo dont do it.

P.S. Congratulations, a whole thread and not one piss take or even a hint of T00nraider, I'm impressed. :lol:

Edited by Toonraider