JFK Sell players to fund buying spree

Guest Stevie

Kinnear told: you have to sell first

Nov 24 2008 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

THE future of some of Newcastle United’s big earners is under threat in January after Joe Kinnear was told he must sell to buy in the January transfer window.

Kinnear spoke with club owner Mike Ashley on Friday and although he says his position was only confirmed until the end of next month, all the indications are that he will remain as the Magpies’ interim manager until February at least.

With that in mind, Kinnear has now given executive director (football) Dennis Wise two hit-lists – one of the players he wants Wise to sign and another outlining those he wants sold in the New Year.

Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Chelsea meant Kinnear was speaking from a position of strength and while he was not naming names, the clues he gave suggest Alan Smith, Geremi and Xisco should have cause for concern about their futures. Wise was back at the ground where he spent the best years of his career to see Saturday’s draw and Kinnear revealed afterwards they have begun planning the club’s transfer strategy.

“I spoke to Dennis last week,” he revealed. “I’m only really getting on board with Dennis now because the (transfer) window’s coming. When I first took the job I didn’t think I’d be here this long so I didn’t really get down to talking about finances and players.

“Now it seems the club won’t be sold, certainly until after Christmas. I’ve got my eye on two or three players we need and two or three to sell. Dennis is now given the task to go and get them, simple as that – and the task of removing some of the players I feel are not good enough.”

During his meeting with Ashley, Kinnear asked the businessman what financial backing, if any, he can expect in January.

“The answer, truthfully, was keep the money you get for the players you sell and invest it back in the team,” Kinnear explained. “If there’s someone I desperately want he’ll possibly put his hand in his pocket providing he’s not near to selling the club.”

When asked who might be sold, Kinnear said: “Not players here (at Stamford Bridge) today, fringe players who won’t be involved, in my opinion, in the first team but we’ve spent a few quid on. If we can get some of that back and replace

them with quality players, the squad will be better.”

Of those who did not travel to Stamford Bridge, Ignacio Gonzalez is on loan and most are inexperienced youngsters. The exceptions are Smith, Geremi, Xisco and Mark Viduka. The latter is in the final season of his contract, making recouping much money on him difficult – but he is one of United’s highest earners.

Kinnear claimed Ashley told him one of the American consortia interested in buying Newcastle made a bid well below his valuation. And the man charged with finding a buyer, Keith Harris – the chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce – suggested the transfer window could push the timetable for a sale back still further.

“If you put yourself in the position of a prospective owner of Newcastle, you want to have had a chance to work with the manager to decide on what should happen to the playing staff, both coming out and going in,” said Harris. “If that isn’t the case, you probably want to wait and see how the activity was in January, so you would defer until February. Also people have got some hopes that the financial chaos will have settled down a little. It’s my gut feeling, but it is no more than gut. I have got nothing tangible to base it on. The last month to six weeks has been, in the financial markets, the worst anyone can ever remember, without any tangible sign of them getting better. The people that have either approached us, or we have approached and have responded positively, are no less affected.

“The thing in our favour is a strong performance of the US dollar, particularly against sterling, which means it (buying an English club) has become much cheaper.”

Sell before he can buy??!?!! I'm telling you now, this Chelsea result is glossing things over. If you look through the team, who can he sell who is going to command £4m+ Taylor? Possibly. Owen £4m max. Gutierrez, Colo, Charlie, Martins, Given all yes. The thing is I think Martins and Taylor are expendable, but who do you replace them with who is better, with pennies. You can imagine the sort of players he'll bring in as well. They'll be more tattoo on inside lip players, that progressive technically gifted attacking footballers. I hope no one is taken in by this draw at Chelsea, we caught them on an off day, and for the first time I now realise we might go down.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sell before he can buy??!?!! I'm telling you now, this Chelsea result is glossing things over. If you look through the team, who can he sell who is going to command £4m+ Taylor? Possibly. Owen £4m max. Gutierrez, Colo, Charlie, Martins, Given all yes. The thing is I think Martins and Taylor are expendable, but who do you replace them with who is better, with pennies. You can imagine the sort of players he'll bring in as well. They'll be more tattoo on inside lip players, that progressive technically gifted attacking footballers. I hope no one is taken in by this draw at Chelsea, we caught them on an off day, and for the first time I now realise we might go down.

Wise will easily get £15m for Xisco, and I hear John Fashanu is available. We're fucked.

Where has all the money gone eh Ashley? You fat cunt. There's the Milner sale (where there was supposedly a replacement lined up that fell through at the last minute), plus the extra ST money, i.e. raised prices / the 3 year upfront thing.

I f*cking hate Ashley and all his cronies, I can't even begin to vent how much without some prick telling me that it's not pc. He really doesn't have a clue and he certainly doesn't give a f*ck about the club. I wouldn't be surprised if he's written off the club as an asset and is just going to let it all go to hell - he's making a good job of it so far. Absolute, total and utter FAT C*NT SCUMBAG!!! :D

Where has all the money gone eh Ashley? You fat cunt. There's the Milner sale (where there was supposedly a replacement lined up that fell through at the last minute), plus the extra ST money, i.e. raised prices / the 3 year upfront thing.

Be interesting to see the books.

Of course, but theres no reason to distrust the man or to not take his side in any dispute - its obvious he always had and continues to have the best interests of the club at heart.

[/N-O LickSpiittels]

Owen's as good as gone, Charlie wants out and Given must be seriously considering his situation - top 'keepers aren't that easy to find and there'll be plenty of interest. In fact, as far as players leaving goes, the question as I see it is not who they will sell but who they won't. They'll sell any player if the money's right.

And who will come? There's no danger they'll be handing out bumper contracts, and we're not exactly an attractive proposition for good players with options. So it'll be bargain-basement stuff and loanees at best.

Gambling on avoiding relegation with a relic for a manager, a thin squad that may well be weaker come the second-half of the season and a 'board' that doesn't give a fuck. Terrifying.

This is all an absolute fucking farce, Dennis wise should be shot, him being the little cunt who brought in xisco, who in term made KK quit, now 6month later and what 1 maybes 2 matches for xisco, he's been linked to a move away from the club cos he's shite, does this not sum it all up.

GET RID OF DENNIS WISE, USELESS UGLY LITTLE FUCKING DWARF.

IL PERSONALLY PAY TO TRANSFER HIM TO SOMEWHERE MORE SUITED, LIKE McDONALDS

So Kinnear reckons that he's going to decide who comes and goes? If they wouldn't give that power to Keegan because they were worried about continuity then I can't see them giving it to a manager on a month to month contract.

Looks like JFK thinks Xisco is crap.

The speculation in the Journal this morning was that it's him, Smith and Geremi who he'd like to see go. I think you'd have to just about give the last two away considering the wages they'll be on though.

Language Alexander. I echo your emotive post though, he's a fuckin leech, it feels like V when the aliens came down, and said they'd come in peace, but the cunts were taking our water, and taking liberties.

I'll be putting posters all over the toon like this when we're liberated.

V-STARTU.GIF

The speculation in the Journal this morning was that it's him, Smith and Geremi who he'd like to see go. I think you'd have to just about give the last two away considering the wages they'll be on though.

Why can't we spend the Mewnah money??! :D

The argument will be that was spent on Xisco, Colo, Guthrie and Jonas.

But....but...but KK was told the Mwwnah money was for pigfucker (Schweinstieger). :aye:

But....but...but KK was told the Mwwnah money was for pigfucker (Schweinstieger). :aye:

I've been let down by so many people throughout my life, and I bet you have too. Collectively we've all been let down and have been sold a lie, a fuckin lie, I was bitter when Keegan left, I feel even more bitter now, everything we were told was a lie. I actually feel quite upset, like me hoose has been burgled, but the burglers won't fuck off.

The thing is I'm that stupid if the situation is the same as it is now in the summer, I'll still buy me season ticket, but we were sold lies on the season ticket front too, his big emotional write up on the site brought to light details which weren't even discussed before the push to sell season tickets. Why? I hope he feels as depressed as I do about it, doubt it though.

I know it's 2 and a half years down the line but, just supposing he still owns the club, I'm not getting another season ticket if the situation is similar to now. No fucking way.