JFK: Given best in the Prem

Guest Stevie

Given is best keeper in the league - Kinnear

Nov 24 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

JOE KINNEAR has hailed Shay Given as "the best goalkeeper in the Premier League".

The Newcastle United boss quite rightly was left drooling over the Republic of Ireland keeper after Saturday’s goalless draw at Stamford Bridge.

Kinnear believes United picked up what was only their fifth point at Chelsea in 16 Premier League games thanks to a “tremendous” team effort, but he was happy to single out Given for special praise.

Given’s wonder save from Frank Lampard, a regular scorer against United, probably kept the floodgates tightly closed and saw Kinnear’s side take away a surprise but deserved point.

And Kinnear insists the likes of Spurs and Arsenal, and any teams in Italy, are wasting their time casting their eyes in the direction of United’s long-serving 32-year-old keeper.

Kinnear told me after the match: “In my opinion, and indeed in the eyes of a lot of people, and with due respect to the likes of Petr Cech and Edwin van de Sar, we have the top goalkeeper in the Premier League in Shay Given.

“Our game plan was built around the fact that we knew we did not have to concede an early goal, and Shay’s save from Frank Lampard was out of this world and seemed to inspire the defenders in front of him.

“When something out of the ordinary happens you need a great keeper, and Shay’s reaction save so early in the game was nothing short of superb.”

The Chronicle reported on Thursday that Kinnear was in a defiant mood about the prospect of taking his side into the lion’s den – and insisted that they would not be lambs to the slaughter.

To be fair, not many people believed United would avoid their usual defeat at Stamford Bridge, and Kinnear joked: “I think Chelsea were about 10-1 on to win.

“We know everybody wrote us off before the match, but we could not help that.

“Our players are professionals and they rolled up their sleeves and put in a professional performance, as we did not let our supporters down.”

United have now managed to draw at both Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge and Kinnear insists the Chelsea display has put his side in the right frame of mind for Saturday’s derby with Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium.

He added: “Not many teams are going to come to Chelsea and not lose and this has given everybody a lift and will boost our confidence for Saturday.”

Goes without saying in my view, it's funny I was thinking about him last night. I would not begrudge him a move, we are not a big club right now, he's never going to win fuck all here, I'd be away if I was him. Uber loyal, and pierless, as JFK, me and many keen observers of the game have found.

Talking of best in da league, Patrick Barclay (who is admittedly a cunt) reckoned 'arguably' the two best full-backs in the league were on display at SB on saturday, Boswinga and Beye.

The single biggest cunt in this country, although it's not his country he should fuck off and work for the Daily Record in his own country. Blamed toon fans for blowing the league 1996, Steve Curry rightly called him an arsehole for saying it.

great goalkeepers are very rare. if shay had any form of kicking game, he'd be up there. as it is because of his inability to direct his players, and a complete lack of ability to kick a ball straight, he'll just have to do with irelands best ever keeper.

great goalkeepers are very rare. if shay had any form of kicking game, he'd be up there. as it is because of his inability to direct his players, and a complete lack of ability to kick a ball straight, he'll just have to do with irelands best ever keeper.

And I don't think he'd even get that award.

yeah the ability to punt a ball massively outweighs keeping it out of the net your right...

mong

how often have you seen "christ aye that keeper was awesome, do you remember that time he kicked the ball out wide accurately"

He didn't say it did. It's still an important aspect of goalkeeping though. He's never been the complete keeper though. He's excellent at shot-stopping however.

If Kinnear had said anything else you'd be amongst the first saying he was full of shit though. Which he is btw.

Pat Jennings :D

Pat Jennings :aye:

Packie Bonner!

Packie Bonner :D he didn't play for one big club in his career, and Holland 1994 is all that needs saying. Head and shoulders the best keeper the Irish Republic has ever produced, Jennings played in a era when centre forwards were putting Lambert and Butlers out on the half way line at kick off time.

Pat Jennings :aye:

Packie Bonner!

Packie Bonner :D he didn't play for one big club in his career, and Holland 1994 is all that needs saying. Head and shoulders the best keeper the Irish Republic has ever produced, Jennings played in a era when centre forwards were putting Lambert and Butlers out on the half way line at kick off time.

;)

Pat Jennings ;)

Packie Bonner!

:aye:

Pat Jennings ;)

Packie Bonner!

:aye:

I class Ireland as one country. Jennings v Josimar.

Pat Jennings B)

Packie Bonner!

Packie Bonner :lol: he didn't play for one big club in his career, and Holland 1994 is all that needs saying. Head and shoulders the best keeper the Irish Republic has ever produced, Jennings played in a era when centre forwards were putting Lambert and Butlers out on the half way line at kick off time.

;)

I class Ireland as one country. Jennings v Josimar.

I know you're a bit full of yourself, but come on :icon_lol: