JFK: Given best in the Prem

Guest Stevie

yeah the ability to punt a ball massively outweighs keeping it out of the net your right...

mong

how often have you seen "christ aye that keeper was awesome, do you remember that time he kicked the ball out wide accurately"

Very good ant.

That wasn't my point. i was highlighting weaknesses..... areas of improvement (that he hasn't sorted out).

Thanks for calling me a mong as well. I appreciate that.

yeah the ability to punt a ball massively outweighs keeping it out of the net your right...

mong

how often have you seen "christ aye that keeper was awesome, do you remember that time he kicked the ball out wide accurately"

Very good ant.

That wasn't my point. i was highlighting weaknesses..... areas of improvement (that he hasn't sorted out).

Thanks for calling me a mong as well. I appreciate that.

No problem anytime

i'm sure shay would've spent many an hour working on his delivery if he had the luxury, thankfully i'm happy he didn't and spent it practicing keeping the goals conceded down to a minimum

hopefully he took a look at Cacapa, Boumsong, Taylor, Bramble etc over the years and thought

what to do what to do, i know i'll keep at the shot stopping practice, lets face it the balls going be coming back this way no matter where i put it.

"drivings for show, puttings for dough" and when you've got someone whose as good at making saves as Given is, kicking the ball is the least of your worries

can you honestly say when your talking about how good a keeper is, like Schemical or Buffon you'd reminisce about passes he made to highlight their talent? or can you even remember many of them?

couldn't do me a list of great keepers who were renowned for their kicking game could ya? which doesn't include chilavert just because he hit freekicks

I have to disagree, maybe we'd see less of his shotstopping skills if he managed to punt it to a Toon player once in a while rather than always to the opposition who then break.

Yes in the grand scheme of things its way down the list but frankly as has already been pointed out its a definite flaw.

so that's 1 with Schmeichel who is one of the best keepers of all time, your right great long throw, great keeper, can't remember his kicking whatsoever (bar slicing it to the opposition a couple of times which obsv stands out)

and Seaman :lol: ...

way to make your point,

Seaman was a fantastic keeper.

If you want people to take your points more seriously, especially related to Shay (when your bias towards him is obvious) stop coming out with the petty insults.

Seaman at his prime was as good (better IMO) than Given in his prime..

The best Newcastle keeper in my lifetime? Without a doubt but flawless? Not a chance.

His distribution is weak but his biggest failing IMO has always been his complete lack of ability to 'manage' the back four. He barely speaks.

When was the last time you saw him give them a bollocking?

Biggest weakness is being rooted to his line too often imo. He isn't the biggest for a keeper though which is part of the problem. I think he's class btw. Best Toon keeper I've ever seen as well without a doubt.

Biggest weakness is being rooted to his line too often imo. He isn't the biggest for a keeper though which is part of the problem. I think he's class btw. Best Toon keeper I've ever seen as well without a doubt.

Can't be argued really about him being the best keeper we've had in the majority of our lifetimes. He's been a class act for us. Imagine if we'd have had a keeper as good as him during Keegan's first stint as manager.

fair dinkum.

i think seaman was very very good but towards the end of his career made quite a few howlers. should have retired earlier.

as for given, he was/ is the best toon keeper i've seen, mind you with mike hooper and srnicek and to a lesser extent hislop, we've not had that many decent ones in the last 15 years or so. hislop wasn't bad mind.