Style of football

Douggy B

Your lot are coming in for some clog about the spoiling job your lot did at Chelsea at the Weekend.

No shots on target, only two off target and all that.

I must admit I haven't seen your game as I was out all Saturday but a lot of Chelsea's lot are calling you boring. (Ironic I know).

Was it that bad? And do you care? Obviously every point is vital at the moment but when do you start sacrificing your football principles?

Being a Tottenham fan I demand attacking, flowing football but surely if prem survival is at risk then by any means necessary surely?

Your lot are coming in for some clog about the spoiling job your lot did at Chelsea at the Weekend.

I must admit I haven't seen your game as I was out all Saturday but a lot of Chelsea's lot are calling you boring. (Ironic I know).

Was it that bad? And do you care? Obviously every point is vital at the moment but when do you start sacrificing your football principles?

Being a Tottenham fan I demand attacking, flowing football but surely if prem survival is at risk then by any means necessary surely?

At the end of the day we are wank. There was more chance of us losing 7-0 than drawing 0-0, Newcastle for the last century have been a team where the emphasis was entertaining football, Super Mac said the all out attack nature was no more prevalent than in the 70s. We had the best or some of the best attacking players this country has ever seen, like Super Mac and Tony Green, but we were just as likely to beat Liverpool 4-0 then lose 4-0 to Luton the next game. However, we don't have good players to have the luxury of playing entertaining football now, so at this present moment in time, we have to understand our limitations, as horrible as they are to get as many points as possible. Relegation is a clear and present danger to this North East institution.

when do you start sacrificing your football principles?

You start sacrificing them when you're playing away at Stamford Bridge and you're at the wrong end of the table. I can't imagine there's anyone who'd have preferred us to adopt an open style of play and take another 0-5 humping just so that Chelsea could pat us on the head and say how cute we were.

If we were going out to play a spoiling game against the likes of West Brom or Stoke then it'd be a different matter.

I think most football fans want flowing attacking football. Im sure though when you were nailed to the bottom you didnt care so long as you climbed out. Thats where I see us. I couldnt care less what kind of football was needed to get that one point. That one point could be the difference between staying up or not. Fact is if we tried to play football against Chelsea, chances are we wouldnt have got that point. Job well done I say.

when do you start sacrificing your football principles?

You start sacrificing them when you're playing away at Stamford Bridge and you're at the wrong end of the table. I can't imagine there's anyone who'd have preferred us to adopt an open style of play and take another 0-5 humping just so that Chelsea could pat us on the head and say how cute we were.

If we were going out to play a spoiling game against the likes of West Brom or Stoke then it'd be a different matter.

Nutshell.

Watched the match online, wasnt bored for one second of it. Fucking loved it in fact.

It reminded me of a 1-1 draw we had with Ipswich, the year Man Utd beat them 9-0. They had 11 men behind the ball for 88 minutes, we did everything but score, then we did Andy Cole. Then one minute later they equalised the only time they crossed the half way line. I hope the Chelsea fans felt as frustrated as we did that day.

Watched the match online, wasnt bored for one second of it. Fucking loved it in fact.

It reminded me of a 1-1 draw we had with Ipswich, the year Man Utd beat them 9-0. They had 11 men behind the ball for 88 minutes, we did everything but score, then we did Andy Cole. Then one minute later they equalised the only time they crossed the half way line. I hope the Chelsea fans felt as frustrated as we did that day.

Same Andy Cole in both matches, no less.

Exactly right - couldn't give a toss if we spoilt their march to the title - fact is it was a rearguard action against one of the best teams in europe and we came out of it with a point - JFK could spoil his way on a good cup run and i wouldn't knock him for it.

On a point of all this negativity - what if he knows what he is doing and unearths some low cost gems from the lower leagues and europe? get rid of the shite overpaid players and bring some hungry aggressive types for me - his track record was nothing short of astonishing at wimbledon - fuck me we used to get cuffed every time we played down there - i am keeping an open mind and hoping for the best

Being a Tottenham fan I demand attacking, flowing football

Mourinho on Tottenham - September 2004

"As we say in Portugal, they brought the bus and they left the bus in front of the goal. I would have been frustrated if I had been a supporter who paid £50 to watch this game because Spurs came to defend. There was only one team looking to win, they only came not to concede - it's not fair for the football we played".

It was a good performance from us and we took something from the game - not many teams will say the same come May, before Saturday Chelsea had won there last 6 or 7 games at home.

We played good football against Aston Villa at home, Chelsea away is a different kettle of fish.

It was a good performance from us and we took something from the game - not many teams will say the same come May, before Saturday Chelsea had won there last 6 or 7 games at home.

We played good football against Aston Villa at home, Chelsea away is a different kettle of fish.

they hadn't, in fact of their last 5 at home before us they'd won 3 lost 2 (or drawn one lost one depending on whether you think penalties count)

I do agree though, the way we played on sat was the only way we were taking anything from that game and I'm glad we were able to pull it off

Exactly right - couldn't give a toss if we spoilt their march to the title - fact is it was a rearguard action against one of the best teams in europe and we came out of it with a point - JFK could spoil his way on a good cup run and i wouldn't knock him for it.

On a point of all this negativity - what if he knows what he is doing and unearths some low cost gems from the lower leagues and europe? get rid of the shite overpaid players and bring some hungry aggressive types for me - his track record was nothing short of astonishing at wimbledon - fuck me we used to get cuffed every time we played down there - i am keeping an open mind and hoping for the best

Thats a big if, like the thinking about a cup run though.

On the Wimbledon note, used to love going to the away match in the late 90's, was always a cracking day out, 9000+ iirc on a couple of occassions. Usually a shit result though.

I remember trying to get into Stringfellows with me mate after one Wimbledon game, got knocked back obviously so claimed i was Warren Barton and i was meeting the rest of the Newcastle team later that night inside. Escaped without getting chinned surprisingly.

On the Wimbledon note, used to love going to the away match in the late 90's, was always a cracking day out, 9000+ iirc on a couple of occassions. Usually a shit result though.

I remember trying to get into Stringfellows with me mate after one Wimbledon game, got knocked back obviously so claimed i was Warren Barton and i was meeting the rest of the Newcastle team later that night inside. Escaped without getting chinned surprisingly.

15,000 that day Tino scored the free kick, there's no way of that 23,000 crowd less then 2/3rd were us, Sunday live on SKY too.

At the match and same reaction - when you have a shit team sometimes a backs against the wall against a good team (or something like the infamous Derby game in 91) can be more enjoyable than a stroll. It's about everyone standing together raising massive V's to the world.

As others have said, playing like that at Wigan etc (see Allardyce) is unacceptable.

15,000 that day Tino scored the free kick, there's no way of that 23,000 crowd less then 2/3rd were us, Sunday live on SKY too.

The Stringfellows incident was another game, we still filled the whole of the east stand and some of the north that day too. Only Man U came close to the numbers we used to take there. Think we lost or it was 1-1 that day. Funny, i can clearly remember my mate standing on the escalators at Picadilly singing 'Peter Reids got a fucking Monkey's heed' at the top of his voice and then legging it from the Underground staff but have difficulty with the score. :D

Are we really getting clog?

Guardian - "Newcastle [were] wonderfully organised and feverishly committed, [they] deserved their reward. Progress has been clear. His side, so porous over the first few weeks of the campaign, boasted rare assurance at Chelsea with Michael Owen operating in midfield and their back four outstanding. Shay Given excelled when called upon; the Irishman's only real moment of panic came when he slipped on the artificial turf in the goalmouth and almost carried Frank Lampard's looped free-kick over the line. Otherwise all was solid with another step taken towards restoring Kinnear's managerial reputation."

Times - "Newcastle United were the only winners on a frustrating afternoon, as Luiz Felipe Scolari put it afterwards, and the same goes for the respective managers. Joe Kinnear’s standing is the highest it has been for almost a decade after becoming the first Newcastle manager to take a point at Stamford Bridge in seven years, while the doubts are emerging about his opposite number on Saturday. Kinnear is is getting the best out of the players at his disposal. Habib Beye was a rock at the back, Danny Guthrie competed manfully against opponents of far greater ability in midfield and Michael Owen can never have run so far in a match, even if there is no sign of his pace and sharpness returning."

Independent - Lampooned on his arrival, Kinnear has quickly got his players handing buckets up and down from the pump and the fires are gradually being doused. Here they blunted Chelsea's ornate midfield blades with an epic display of obduracy. he appears to be giving this team a bit of heart."

In more positive times I can remember the game we won 1-0 at Arsenal at the end of 96-97 - obviously we had a good team but that game gave me hope that Dalglish's more "practical" tactics would bear fruit with Keegan's team and that day we didn't exactly play for a draw but you could say we played for a 1-0 once we scored - unforunately he decided to dismantle the team.

In more positive times I can remember the game we won 1-0 at Arsenal at the end of 96-97 - obviously we had a good team but that game gave me hope that Dalglish's more "practical" tactics would bear fruit with Keegan's team and that day we didn't exactly play for a draw but you could say we played for a 1-0 once we scored - unforunately he decided to dismantle the team.

Robbie Elliott scored that day and was an ever-present under Dalglish that season iirc. Often playing very well in a midfield 3 (as he did that day I think). So Dalglish sold him that summer. Just about sums up some of the strange decisions he made as our manager.

The Stringfellows incident was another game, we still filled the whole of the east stand and some of the north that day too. Only Man U came close to the numbers we used to take there. Think we lost or it was 1-1 that day. Funny, i can clearly remember my mate standing on the escalators at Picadilly singing 'Peter Reids got a fucking Monkey's heed' at the top of his voice and then legging it from the Underground staff but have difficulty with the score. :D

We had the full Arthur Waite which is 10,000 in itself and right behind the goal, the Peter Reid song was well in it's heyday then so that would've been the game. The only two things (well three really) I can truly remember about the day was I jumped the train there, and all the way back without one inspector either way, and without the Fort Knox style inspector barrier they put up these days going home, and a bird in the row behind me in a lacey top with two of the biggest tits my eyes have witnessed. The best game we had down there was a 3-3 draw, I think we were 3-1 up at HT.

You make a good point about Man Utd, being the only ones that can touch us, it's one of the reasons I'd gladly like to stand in front of Danny B and tell him what an utter cock he is, we used to take more to Wimbledon than any London team, and you can not and never have been able to compare their support to ours, when we even have a half decent team.