My take on the future

peasepud

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Halls/Shepherds never got to within halfway of the British transfer record until we'd almost won the league and were safely in the champions league.

Les Ferdinand?

I blame Happy Face for all this. MA started reading his posts last year when he was screaming for sensible spending in every thread he flirted with. ;)

I want the club to be sensible with my money.

You want them to bring in trophy signings with my money.

Good of Ashley to listen to his customer if it's the case.

:lol:

By the way, I've said it before, I'll say it again Collocinni's fee is the most this club has ever spent on a defender.

oh dear.

Aren't you pleased Rooney signed for ManU while we are struggling to avoid relegation. They are really in the shit manu aren't they, 700m quid in debt or something. Sack the board.

You've got your non-trophy signings, but we are better off than manU aren't we ?

You really couldn't make up such a load of cliche ridden crap.

BTW, we broke our transfer record for a defender 3 times under the Halls and Shepherd.......didn't stop us buying other players too........

Peacock, Woodgate, Barton.....

Still, don;t let the facts get in the way of your opinion whatever you do

Most Man U fans do want to sack the board, aye...

http://www.malcolmglazer.com/

B)

too many trophy signings then.

They will have to sell Rooney, Ronaldo, Nani, Tevez, Ferdinand, Vidic and Berbatov now.

That'll show them they should be buying a squad instead.

I've always said you should spend big from a position of success.

Expensive desparation buys don't work out.

You buy the best for the level you're at to move onwards and upwards, then you replace them with the best at the next level once you reach it.

The Halls/Shepherds never got to within halfway of the British transfer record until we'd almost won the league and were safely in the champions league.

Sorry but I don't agree.

I don't think reaching for the top players when you have the 3rd biggest crowd in the country [or we did under the Halls and Shepherd] and qualifying for europe on a regular basis, is so wrong in fact I think its a necessity to attempt to do it as often as possible.

Neither do I. When you're qualifying for Europe regularly, that's just the time to reach higher.

At a time when the transfer record was £5.5M, we never went above £2M until we were on the verge of Europe though. Is Ashley being any less sensible than Hall/Shepherd?

Les Ferdinand?

To be fair when Barton signed the transfer record was the £5m Blackburrrrrrrrrrn Roversh paid for Chris Sutton, and we paid 4s for Barton, so can someone explain to me what Happy Face is on about?

Tino as well wasn't far off Collymore's £8.5m

Edited by Stevie

Les Ferdinand?

I forgot the champions league used to be for the Champions. :lol:

Les Ferdinand?

We came 6th the season before he signed anyway iirc.

Les Ferdinand?

But 3rd the year before.

Les Ferdinand?

But 3rd the year before.

Erm, yes. And?

Les Ferdinand?

But 3rd the year before.

So

Les Ferdinand?

But 3rd the year before.

Erm, yes. And?

3rd and 6th place finishes are to me positions of strength which can attract good quality players worth more than half the record transfer fee of the time.

14th place and relegation fights not so much. That needs Andy Cole and Peter Beardsley style bargain spotting.

Les Ferdinand?

But 3rd the year before.

Erm, yes. And?

3rd and 6th place finishes are to me positions of strength which can attract good quality players worth more than half the record transfer fee of the time.

14th place and relegation fights not so much. That needs Andy Cole and Peter Beardsley style bargain spotting.

Why are you talking shite? We signed Andy Cole for nearly £1.8m, while we were in Division 1, when Dean Saunders transfer record was still £2.7m. Shearer took the record later that year at £3.3m, and we strengthened signing Fox and Peacock for around £2.5m each the same season.

Edited by Stevie

Les Ferdinand?

But 3rd the year before.

Erm, yes. And?

Why are you talking shite? We signed Andy Cole for nearly £1.8m, while we were in Division 1, when Dean Saunders transfer record was still £2.7m. Shearer took the record later that year at £3.3m, and we strengthened signing Fox and Peacock for around £2.5m each the same season.

Clearly we define things differently. Villa got £5.5M for Platt before we bought Cole.

Les Ferdinand?

But 3rd the year before.

Erm, yes. And?

I was only commenting on your specific statement, i.e. the one I quoted initially, which was completely inaccurate. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with what you've just said but that's a different matter altogether. It should be noted that the summer we're on about though (whilst being a position of relative strength) was a case of the club speculating to accumulate, since coming 6th meant we didn't even get a Uefa Cup spot iirc but we bought Barton, Ginola and Ferdinand. It was a better time to break the bank than this January would be, but again, that's not what you were arguing to my mind.

Les Ferdinand?

But 3rd the year before.

Erm, yes. And?

Clearly we define things differently. Villa got £5.5M for Platt before we bought Cole.

I'd say most people would equate the record with a fee paid by, rather than also received by, an English club tbf.

Les Ferdinand?

I forgot the champions league used to be for the Champions. ;)

But 3rd the year before.

Erm, yes. And?

So :lol: Torino got £13m for Lentini, what's the difference.

I think our signings during the summer where some of the most positive in recent history. It just imploded with the ridiculous wow signing pledge, and obviously Keegan walking. The fact is if Keegan was on board at the moment we would be skirting the Uefa cup spots.

I thought Ashley has rid himself of this worry by putting the club up for sale! If the club is actually going to be sold it matters little to Ashley surely what the payroll looks like.

If he can't find a buyer why would he risk selling key players for the sake of 20-30 million when relegation would wipe far far more off that...

Les Ferdinand?

I forgot the champions league used to be for the Champions. B)

But 3rd the year before.

Erm, yes. And?

Lentini's not British and no British club was involved. If you want to compare it with worldwide record signings instead though, I think it makes them look even more cautious ;)

Les Ferdinand?

I forgot the champions league used to be for the Champions. B)

But 3rd the year before.

Erm, yes. And?

Lentini's not British and no British club was involved. If you want to compare it with worldwide record signings instead though, I think it makes them look even more cautious ;)

The principle is the same though. The goods purchased were for a different league to ours. It's like you classing the most expensive christmas present you've ever been bought, as something you paid £400 for your wife.

The principle is the same though. The goods purchased were for a different league to ours. It's like you classing the most expensive christmas present you've ever been bought, as something you paid £400 for your wife.

The ratio changes, but we weren't pulling off Rooney, Robinho, Berbatov type huge signings while on the up, however you remember it.

On your own terms, we were spending between half and three quarters of what other top English clubs had paid when we were up in third and sixth.

One thing I would say is that I wouldn't put comparing favourably against the previous regime as being my sole criteria for judging how well the current lot are doing. Although by virtually any criteria they're doing worse in any case.

One thing I would say is that I wouldn't put comparing favourably against the previous regime as being my sole criteria for judging how well the current lot are doing. Although by virtually any criteria they're doing worse in any case.

Absolutley.

Personally I think the transfer cash being put up is the least of their shortcomings.

Absolutley.

Personally I think the transfer cash being put up is the least of their shortcomings.

I think it's important though HF, in the sense that, if what I heard when KK arrived was accurate (and the other stuff at the time was, before it was public knowledge about the contract length etc.), he was sold a lie too in this regard.

Absolutley.

I think it's important though HF, in the sense that, if what I heard when KK arrived was accurate (and the other stuff at the time was, before it was public knowledge about the contract length etc.), he was sold a lie too in this regard.

That's one of the things I'd put above the actual cash being laid on, the lies they're happy to peddle to staff and customers alike for short term gain. Not even just from word of mouth but from official statements that blatantly contradict each other.

Absolutley.

That's one of the things I'd put above the actual cash being laid on, the lies they're happy to peddle to staff and customers alike for short term gain. Not even just from word of mouth but from official statements that blatantly contradict each other.

Aye. I'm not trying to push my ITK stuff here or anything. I've heard very little since KK was reportedly pissed off about Modric. But I was told he was told he had as much money as he wanted (when he joined). Obviously anything that isn't straight from the horse's mouth is liable to fall prey to Chinese whispers and so on. But I honestly think he was lied to and I think the official statements you're on about tend to back that up. I realise Ashley's situation financially might have changed too and I know KK isn't perfect for all I admire hime. But I think it shows where the greater burden of blame lies over what has gone wrong.