My take on the future

peasepud

Anyway, if we needed to sell Milner to pay for the other 3, it was lucky he handed in a transfer request a week before the window closed. Some top foresight there by the people handling recruitment.

Aye it balanced the books nicely anyway. :lol:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, if we needed to sell Milner to pay for the other 3, it was lucky he handed in a transfer request a week before the window closed. Some top foresight there by the people handling recruitment.

so they werent planning on selling, so what are you whinging about?

Everybody knows, there is no buyer. And that Ashley will lose millions if you go down. He will not let that happen and you will invest in Jan.

That Milner money may come in very handy yet.

There's the extra ST receipts to consider as well.

That's what I'm wondering about too, the potential profitably and where it's going.

Surely offset by the 6K empty seats every week?

Everybody knows, there is no buyer. And that Ashley will lose millions if you go down. He will not let that happen and you will invest in Jan.

I was demonstrating one of the many flaws in your 'argument'.

I'd assume the vast majority are paying for that on DD, rather than all 3 years in advance.

True. There should still be more money there though as a lot paid by DD anyway.

Its not an argument Alex, as much as you would like to make it that way, its simple business. People are talking on here as though Ashley is pocketing the money himself and laughing at the toons misfortune.

The fact is, he is trying to achieve a difficult balancing act of trying to make you viable and putting together a decent side.

These things cant happen over night.

The thing is as well, we all took the piss out of Roeder for his last minute dealings but it wasn't his fault he had to do virtually everything on the scouting side too. Wise, on the other hand, had nothing else to do except look after bringing players in and he was still doing stuff at the last minute (not particularly effectively either).

Let's be honest now, Roeder's idea of scouting was flying out to Rotterdam once a week...something he's probably still doing now with Norwich to have a look at that lad Kuyt. :lol:

Why is everything from the club stating that January will be another £0 transfer budget then?

That's what I'm wondering about too, the potential profitably and where it's going.

I'm not sure it will be, but that something he brought on the himself anyway with his methods.

The "Closing Down Sale Now On" tactic amazingly doesn't work so well when running a football club.

Its not an argument Alex.

Quite.

Why is everything from the club stating that January will be another £0 transfer budget then?

Not at all what they said. Sell before you buy doesnt mean zero spend. I expect some of the higher earners to be shipped out with a moderate transfer kitty to invest in players of Collicini and Jonas' ilk.

They money freed up on the wage bill should allow that.

Well, I think the increases were about 10% across the board (or you had to pay 3 years upfront), so not really.

Not at all what they said. Sell before you buy doesnt mean zero spend. I expect some of the higher earners to be shipped out with a moderate transfer kitty to invest in players of Collicini and Jonas' ilk.

Yes it does, if they can reduce the wage bill that doesn't mean there'll be more to spend, in fact looking at Ashley's record in that context it probably means there'll be a £0 transfer fee budget and a negative over all spend with savings on wages.

"Investment" :lol:

The speculation is they'll reduce the wage bill on high earners who signed contracts under the current regime btw (Smith, and Geremi, for example) Barton also fits into that category and they were trying to get rid of him in the summer.

Well, I think the increases were about 10% across the board (or you had to pay 3 years upfront), so not really.

Plus it's not about attendance anyway, it's about % of seats filled. :lol:

Yes it does, if they can reduce the wage bill that doesn't mean there'll be more to spend, in fact looking at Ashley's record in that context it probably means there'll be a £0 transfer fee budget and a negative over all spend with savings on wages.

Course it does. Owens wages alone would free up 6m a year that the club could spend.

If you sold Shay, Owen and Barton I reckon you could by 6 players on reasonable wages who could push on up the league.

The speculation is they'll reduce the wage bill on high earners who signed contracts under the current regime btw (Smith, and Geremi, for example) Barton also fits into that category and they were trying to get rid of him in the summer.

They really want shot of Owen apparently.

They really want shot of Owen apparently.

That can't be true Parky. The club released a statement saying he'd been offered a new improved contract just before the last window closed :lol:

Course it does. Owens wages alone would free up 6m a year that the club could spend.

If you sold Shay, Owen and Barton I reckon you could by 6 players on reasonable wages who could push on up the league.

See above. Unless of course they were lying.

Could, possibly. But won't, in all likelihood.

You mean if we sold all our decent players we could actually had a functional squad like Keegan wanted (with a lot less quality)?

Of course if Wise and Ashley had half a clue we could have had the functional squad and the quality as well....... "investment". ;)