Temuri-watch

Ketsbaia

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miles off topic Matt M4, but I've been wanting to ask this for ages and Ketsbaia's shiny head has just prompted me there, but why do a lot of keepers in the French League wear number 16 and those short-sleeved shirts? Surely they're not all sad enough to copy Barthez are they?

Pretty certain it's quite simply exactly where it's from. 16 really is the alternate number for a keeper in France (short sleeves though not that common).

If I think back to pre 96ish I can't remember 16 being that meaningful. Even at amateur level you have keepers wearing it now.

Yeah, first time I'd ever seen it was when we played Monaco in the UEFA Cup and Barthez was playing in that match.

You sure about that? Because ironically he almost always used to have number 1 at club level (like he did at ManU for example), and 16 for France (probably kept it after being Bernard Lama's number two when he was first selected).

Anyway I've just remembered a good current example... Bordeaux's first choice keeper Ulrich Ramé (who lives just a couple of streets away from me thought I'd add) wears 16.

Yeah, first time I'd ever seen it was when we played Monaco in the UEFA Cup and Barthez was playing in that match.

You sure about that? Because ironically he almost always used to have number 1 at club level (like he did at ManU for example), and 16 for France (probably kept it after being Bernard Lama's number two when he was first selected).

Anyway I've just remembered a good current example... Bordeaux's first choice keeper Ulrich Ramé (who lives just a couple of streets away from me thought I'd add) wears 16.

I'm pretty sure anyway...maybe wrong.

Although Jeremie Janot at St-Etienne is basically a Barthez "Mini-Me".

Tonight's the night. Famagusta are up against Panathinikos in Greece in the final game of the group. If they win they'll go through to the second round regardless. If they lose they have to hope that Inter will beat Bremen so they can hang on to third place and go into the UEFA Cup, which is by no means a sure thing.

:razz: Howay Temuri

Magnificent achievement for Anorthosis, competing with teams like Inter, drawing in Bremen, my only regret is that they didn't get Celtic in their group, because that could've been truly magnificent. Well done Ketsi, you deserve a chance at a Southampton/Derby type club now.

To put in perspective, there are more people in Newcastle, N.Tyneside and Gateshead combined than the whole of Cyprus, and they are one of 14 teams.

Edited by Stevie