network help

paddy

ok, i have a work laptop that i have connected to the internet (wired conn) with no problems at all, now i have a new laptop which i pluggen in for the first time a few days ago, (once again wired) the new one goes straigh on with no problems but the work one i have will not!! i get the yellow triangle saying 'local connection only' i think i may have clicked something when plugging my new one in for the first time, now this is causing all sorts of problems and is peeing me off, :lol:

any help appriciated

cheers

If it's Virgin, the router will need the MAC address to be 'cloned' from the wired PC that works.

To find out the MAC address of the PC, open up a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /all <RETURN>

Make a note of the 'Physical Address' noted under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection.

Then log onto the console of your router, and change the MAC address of the router to the same as that of your wired machine. It may be in a section called 'MAC Address cloning'. If not, you can always google the model of router and ask about MAC cloning.

If it's Virgin, the router will need the MAC address to be 'cloned' from the wired PC that works.

ipconfig /all <RETURN>

Make a note of the 'Physical Address' noted under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection.

Then log onto the console of your router, and change the MAC address of the router to the same as that of your wired machine. It may be in a section called 'MAC Address cloning'. If not, you can always google the model of router and ask about MAC cloning.

He hasn't got a router

ipconfig /all <RETURN>

:lol: this is me we are talking about!!!!!

He'll have something as the Virgin modem has only one ethernet link.

Virgin do seem to register accounts against one MAC address

I was assuming he had one ethernet cable and was swapping the two computers over, hence the modem reboot

I was assuming he had one ethernet cable and was swapping the two computers over, hence the modem reboot

i do have one cable and did sqap computers over!!! i have the code thing that Craig mentioned what next?? :lol:

i do have one cable and did sqap computers over!!! i have the code thing that Craig mentioned what next?? :lol:

Have you reset the modem yet?