Keano on his way?

tommo

Reid interested in Sunderland job

Former Sunderland boss Peter Reid has admitted he would be interested in a return to the Stadium of Light as successor to Roy Keane.

Reid was in charge of the Black Cats between 1995 and 2002 and is currently coach of the Thailand national team.

He told the Daily Mail: "I would be interested. It's fantastic in Thailand and the experience has improved me but everyone aspires to work in England.

"It's the place to be. The players here dream about it."

And Reid also revealed: "There is a clause in my contract that allows me to speak to English clubs if they show interest, so that would be up to chairman Niall Quinn.

"I do know Niall well. We speak occasionally and he invited me to their first home game of the season against Liverpool. He's a man of stature, he's got good business sense and he's a chairman who has seen all sides - as player and manager as well.

"He has also shown he will back his managers. I know from my time as manager there that there are great expectations but £80m spent on players in two years shows you they are committed to achieving those expectations.

"I had two seventh-place finishes, which I think were the best since the war, before coming fourth from bottom. My being linked with the job may not please all the fans but I left the club in a better state than when I arrived and I'd be confident of success again."

Reid believes former Bolton and Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce should be a contender to take over from Keane.

He said: "Sam Allardyce has rightly been mentioned, too, and I've been talked of as a possible assistant to him but that's disrespectful to Sam. Whoever is manager needs to make their own choices.

"The other option mentioned in the press was a role until the end of the season but that would be difficult for me with the job I have.

"If I did come back I know I'm a lot better for the experience with Thailand. It has widened my knowledge."

Mate of mine put a tenner on Reid on Thursday, or said he was going to anyway.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5299261.ece

I know the papers lick his arse, and I don't believe he knocked back the new contract out of nobility as suggested, but he sounds like a principled bloke who is about as disillusioned with football as I am.

I know exactly what you mean, Gemmill.

It's easy for other people to think your disillusionment comes about because you're unhappy with owners or your team's having a rough time etc but I just want to see some fucking passion from people in the game. I think that's why I found the switch to watching non league football a lot easier than some of my compatriots who soon drifted back to Old Trafford. Supporters will put up with a lot that's wrong with professional football if they can only see some desire and passion.

I detested Sir Alex Ferguson as a person, detested his greed and moneygrabbing policies, detested the way he always wanted to become bigger than the clubs he managed, detested the way his greed with the Irish mafia opened the door to the yanks. Of course, the success he delivered helps but most of all I was prepared to overlook it because for all his faults he still demonstrated that passion to win at all times.

Sadly, due to illness, I've not seen any live football since very early this season but I don't miss the overpaid primadonnas that make up the bulk of our professional game. All I miss really is the 'craic' and camaraderie amongst the real football people, the true supporters. When you've spent all your adult life devoting most of your time to following your team all over the world, it leaves a bloody big hole when you no longer do it. I think that's the real reason people keep turning up every week despite a growing disillusionment.

I was in Corals in town on wenesday on me dinner and some bloke walks up to the counter and asks how to put a bet on the next sunderland manager stating he had never placed a bet before, the bloke on the counter asked what bet he wanted and wrote it out for him. The bloke then went on to explain a mate of his who works at SOL had phoned saying put all your spare money on ...... Steve Mclaren! the bloke then puts £500 on and walks out happy as larry.

I wasnt sure whether he was mad or not, only time will tell.

I'l be guttted if it comes in though and i didnt put any money on it

Sam Allardyce manages to be infected by the English disease

Martin Samuel

So what is keeping them? It is more than a week since Sunderland parted company with Roy Keane, a period in which Sam Allardyce has made it more than obvious that he wants the job. Short of walking the streets of Wearside in a sandwich board bearing the message “For Hire”, it is hard to imagine what more he can do.

Maybe Sunderland’s owners are enjoying the power trip. Maybe they think they will play West Bromwich Albion, now shaping up as this season’s relegation certainties, at home every week. Maybe they think they have the right man already in Ricky Sbragia, the caretaker manager, although this most noble explanation would also seem least plausible.

For in any other country, on getting the green light from Allardyce, that would be it. Throughout Europe, certainly, had a manager who had made the equivalent of Bolton Wanderers a top-flight force expressed an interest in working at a club such as Sunderland, heading south with their foot down, he would have been sitting in the dugout long before the weekend. The return at Real Madrid of Juande Ramos suggests that.

Real did not study Ramos’s recent failure with Tottenham Hotspur, no more than too much should be read into Allardyce’s difficulties at Newcastle United, an unmanageable basket case of a club. Real remembered only what Ramos did with Seville and, short of options, gave him a chance.

It is an English thing, this penchant for dismissing and disregarding our own. Before getting the Valencia job, Rafael BenÍtez was sacked by Real Valladolid, having won two games in 23, sacked by Osasuna after one win in nine, won promotion with Extremadura only to be relegated after one season, but then took Tenerife up; and two promotions were enough to convince Valencia that he was worth a shot at the big time.

In Spain, for what he achieved at Bolton, Allardyce would have bypassed Newcastle and gone directly to the equivalent of our Champions League elite. A relegation fight at a yo-yo club such as Sunderland would be considered beneath him. He has been there already, paying his dues, yet is now back at square one, if he is on the game board at all. Irony of ironies, one of the applicants for the Sunderland job is Bernd Schuster, sacked by Real last week.

This, and the candidacy of men such as Louis van Gaal, means that Sunderland can play at power-broking, toying with the idea of a foreign coach as if, by implication, this affords status. Niall Quinn, the chairman, was said to favour Allardyce, but there have subsequently been 33 applications from serious candidates, which may have turned his head. Any that took the equivalent of Bolton to sixth in a competition that eats small clubs alive these days? Thought not.

Perhaps Sunderland are still smarting from a previous pursuit of Allardyce, only to receive an ambitious demand for wages and the transference of a 20-strong backroom staff; but those were different times. Allardyce was at Bolton and foolishly believed that what he was doing counted, that it would earn admiration from potential employers. These days, he is forced to tout for work through the newspapers because English clubs want glamour, not substance. A pity he was not born beyond these shores - he could have taken charge at a real Stadium of Light.

Fat pig.

I don't get why Jol's name keeps getting bandied about for these jobs. Surely he wouldn't leave Hamburg until the end of the season at least, given that they're in contention in the Bundesliga and through to the knockout stages of the Waffa?

I don't think Jol would go and it would be a serious step down for Mancini, I was just stating Mackem opinion.

Jol has proved himself yet again in Germany* and I don't see any reason why he would go to Sunderland as their fans don't appreciate anything. It's probably their best season in ten years and other than a 2-1 t shirt and mug combo they have seemed pretty flat about it.

I would personally rule Mancini and Jol out, plus a few others they have been thinking of, Laudrup, Deschamps and the like.

Allardyce would have been their best option.

* As tactical genius Ramos might do at madrid :aye:

I really hope this ends up being for them likes Souness' sacking was for us. Loads of names thrown about, lots of positive rhetoric from the board but we ended up with the caretaker who'd did a decent job :aye: