Ant

Guitars

I know a few of the lads on here are fairly into guitars etc

any of you recommend a decent "learn how to play" book for the total and utter beginner (but i can play hard on guitar hero so obviously I'm a pro in the making :rolleyes:)

Dad picked himself up a cheap electric and an acoustic with the same idea of learning, but never bloody uses the things, so I'm probably going to pinch one and have a go myself.

as little patience as I have i think it's one of those things i'll get frustrated enough to keep at untill i can play some radiohead or smashing pumpkins :finger:

Did the same about 3 years ago. Never really had a learning book etc... If you already spend a lot of time on the internet, then it will make it so much easier.

You have everything just a click away and for free. Youtube can become a goldmine for learning songs.

Also if you know people who play, then they can help you make huge leaps forwards by showing you technique tips.

Use the internet for lessons and stuff.

Try to round your playing off by learning different techniques.

Using three or four very simple techniques during a solo can make you look like a genius.

Also buy from a recognised brand - Epiphone, Squier and the like.

Don't get tempted by an ebay £70 bargain from China because I wouldn't touch them with yours.

I started on a 3rd hand piece of crap - an Encore for £40 - I went halves with my brother.

I then moved onto to an Epiphone Custom @ £410 and progressed rapidly, before buying that guitar I couldn't even play a song and for some mental reason (genius parenting) my Mam bought me the Epiphone,

now I'm a reasonably well read and advanced player,

you just have to give yourself the incentive and have fun, cheap lager and friends help.

Be enthusiastic about it, almost show off in front of your mates but don't be a cunt about it, just play something they want to hear and then you will get more confident and progress to better things.

How old are you by the way?

don't just learn songs, learn theory too it helps more than you might think

also if your choosing between the acoustic and electric to start with start with the acoustic

Start with Electric in my opinion.

Why do you think that out of interest?

Still haven't bought myself an electric one, but it's planned. Always thought acoustic was the natural starter.

Start with Electric in my opinion.

acoustic as a starter is far better for your technique and finger/hand strength

Using three or four very simple techniques during a solo can make you look like a genius.

Don't get tempted by an ebay £70 bargain from China because I wouldn't touch them with yours.

I started on a 3rd hand piece of crap - an Encore for £40 - I went halves with my brother.

I then moved onto to an Epiphone Custom @ £410 and progressed rapidly, before buying that guitar I couldn't even play a song and for some mental reason (genius parenting) my Mam bought me the Epiphone,

you just have to give yourself the incentive and have fun, cheap lager and friends help.

Be enthusiastic about it, almost show off in front of your mates but don't be a cunt about it, just play something they want to hear and then you will get more confident and progress to better things.

I'm 26

think the electric is one of those strat starter packs like the guitar/amp for £150 or something

Acoustic god knows where he got it or what brand it was but libel to be <£100 easily

I'm 26

think the electric is one of those strat starter packs like the guitar/amp for £150 or something

Acoustic god knows where he got it or what brand it was but libel to be <£100 easily

Toms right about starting with a halfway decent brand, people get lower price guitars thinking "wel if i dont like it im not to out of pocket" but fact is if you get a some piece of crap its going to make playing it that much harder

I have a few electrics and an acoustic http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/fender-cd-100-ce/69411 <that being the acoustic and I would recommend it

pretty much everything andrew and tom recommend are about right.

go for a low-ish cost electric or acoustic ( or why not a jacked up acoustic so you can plug it into an amp). that'll get you started.

tons of stuff on youtube will help. get into basic musical theory and learn some basic chords. learn from songs and experiment.

It's easier to learn on a more playable guitar.

Trust me, I'm the best guitar player I know :rolleyes:

which would imply an electric but if you're serious about learning a decent acoustic will set you up better than an electric

Wrong.

I bought and electric first and I mainly playing Legato,

go figure :rolleyes:

you=all guitar players now? or just being a cunt again?

I started with a classical guitar for chords and stuff - meant when I got an electric chords were no problem as theres a good inch more on the fretboard

I got myself squire, no complaints about it - sounded like dirt until I replaced some of the electrics, but when you start that isnt much of an issue. They're much better made than they use to be now, and they're dirt cheap, so if you decide guitar isn't for you you've only parted with £100.

You jsut have to stick with it all, at first the stretches seem impossible ,but after a week or 2 you'll be looking back and wondering how you ever found it difficult.

As mentioned already, i've heard nothing but good things about Justinguitar.com - have checked out a few of the lessons and they're very good.

cheers for the advice/links etc lads

i'll prob nick the electric as it's the older of the two and will serve my Van Halen impressions a lot better