Credit to the scouting team where it's due

Snake

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness, I think every team or manager who bring players in have some duds. Im mostly happy with the players we brought in. Certainly more so than the ones SA brought in overall (though Beye was SA's best signing).

Are people seriously writing off Xisco already? F*ck me, imagine if Arsenal had written off Adebayor this quickly, or Chelsea had dumepd Drogba after his slow first season, etc.

While it is harsh and he's come into a poor team etc. he doesn't look too cut out for the PL imo. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Are people seriously writing off Xisco already? F*ck me, imagine if Arsenal had written off Adebayor this quickly, or Chelsea had dumepd Drogba after his slow first season, etc.

I know its like how we all wrote off Luque after one season and look at him now :rolleyes:

While it is harsh and he's come into a poor team etc. he doesn't look too cut out for the PL imo. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Unfortunately for Xisco, he'll never get a run of games this season. When Viduka's fit, he'll always first-choice if Kinnear wants a target-man, and if he's not, then he's hardly going to drop Martins & Owen for him. I definitely think there's a player in there though. Can see him being another Tomasson.

I know its like how we all wrote off Luque after one season and look at him now :rolleyes:

A bit of a difference between writing someone off after a season, and after about 200 minutes football in a team which was in turmoil.

People were saying the same about Mascherano when he couldn't get a game for West Ham when they looked like going down.

He may well turn out to be a poor signing and I don't think he'll have much luck with the style of football Kinnear prefers but some of the stick he gets is embarrassing, every time someone mentions a good signing the usual mongs chip in with the "yeah but omg they signed Xisco and Nacho" that's not aimed at you btw.

As for Nacho, I don't see the point in turning down a player because he needs to rest an injury for a few weeks, it's only become a problem because he wasn't rested properly and has gone on to aggravate it more.

Xisco was never going to immediately step into the first team.

That's where I feel a bit sorry for him. He was thrown into it because Martins & Viduka were injured and Ameobi was out of favour and it was the first game after the Keegan thing. To his credit he got himself a goal.

Those 4 players are all good spots - especially Bassong - and everybody makes mistakes ie the other 2 so I won't criticise that - but there is no point in making good signings then allowing other players the manager wants to keep leave the club, along with the fact the

whole goal was to spend as little as possible, even to the point where we made a profit in the transfer market

This isn't how progressive clubs operate. Thats why Keegan has gone.

Edited by LeazesMag

I don't criticise them for the players they signed (though the deadline day ones look iffy), I criticise them for the one they didn't sign. I don't mean specific ones, just numbers as LM alludes to perfectly.

Those 4 players are all good spots - especially Bassong - and everybody makes mistakes ie the other 2 so I won't criticise that - but there is no point in making good signings then allowing other players the manager wants to keep leave the club, along with the fact the

whole goal was to spend as little as possible, even to the point where we made a profit in the transfer market

Who did we sell that Keegan didn't want to go? (remembering that Keegan said the Milner offer was too good to turn down)

Would hate to be Xisco. Poor bugger. Comes into a team all wide eyed and eager, then finds out that the iconic manager has quit and a large part of his going was your arrival. Then to make matters worse most Newcastle supporters are suddenly experts on scouting and footballing ability allowing them to deem you a complete dud after you play a game or two. And the cherry on top -> you pick up an injury that will keep you out of training for several weeks.

Welcome to Newcastle!

:rolleyes:

If anything it just makes us even less likely as a destination for foreign players in the future.

Who did we sell that Keegan didn't want to go? (remembering that Keegan said the Milner offer was too good to turn down)

The Milner offer was too good to turn down - ON THE PROVISION that the money from his sale was reinvested into the team. When Keegan made that statement it was on that basis. He was lead to believe that Milner would be replaced (and not by an injured loan 'signing').

The Milner offer was too good to turn down - ON THE PROVISION that the money from his sale was reinvested into the team. When Keegan made that statement it was on that basis. He was lead to believe that Milner would be replaced (and not by an injured loan 'signing').

Keegan said when we sold him that "Every player had his price" - £12m for Milner was at least £4m more than his value.

All of a sudden though, this comment got turned into "Whole squad up for sale", after he'd left.

All of a sudden though, this comment got turned into "Whole squad up for sale", after he'd left.

I think that was more to do with several media sources reporting on deadline day rather than the Milner sale itself.

I think that was more to do with several media sources reporting on deadline day rather than the Milner sale itself.

The media also said that Keegan handed Wise a list consisting of Ronaldinho, Lampard & Henry but that was a load of sh*te.

The media also said that Keegan handed Wise a list consisting of Ronaldinho, Lampard & Henry but that was a load of sh*te.

An obvious smear, though I couldn't see anything wrong with going for Ronaldinho in the context of Man City supposedly going for him pre-takeover.

I don't think the Keegan "feeding the press" angle works for the deadline day sale story though - Barton texting SSN seemed genuine at the time.