Band of Brothers: The Pacific

Jimbo

Sorry if this is old news but: :rolleyes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/

A new 10-part miniseries from the creators of Band of Brothers (Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman), called The Pacific, is in development. The new production will focus on the Pacific Theater of Operations and the United States Marine Corps. The project is due out in 2009, although this is subject to change

Hawai'i could be the primary backdrop for a 10-part miniseries about World War II in the Pacific being produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, film and military officials here confirmed yesterday.

The project is called "The Pacific" and would be similar to the 2001 HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers," said Walea Constantinau, commissioner for the Ho-nolulu Film Office. "Band of Brothers," the story of soldiers fighting across Europe after D-Day, also was produced by Hanks and Spielberg.

The budget for the miniseries has not been announced, but war movies are big-budget productions, Constantinau said. "Band of Brothers" cost $120 million.

"It is going to be a huge project," she said. "War movies tend to be fairly large in scope. It would be a significant project."

No deals have been made and none of the filmmakers have scouted Hawai'i for potential locations, Constantinau said.

Film officials described the negotiations as preliminary and sensitive. But state film commissioner Donne Dawson said filming could begin early next year.

"We are in the running for this production," she said. "It is by no means a done deal."

The producers are reportedly discussing the project with Australian officials, but Hawai'i has a lot to offer, from lush foliage to Ford Island.

And the idea has the backing of a bona fide war hero. U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Inouye supports the project, said Inouye spokeswoman Jennifer Sabas.

Inouye has spoken with Pentagon and U.S. Pacific Command officials about the possibility of filming "The Pacific" in Hawai'i.

"Hawai'i is in the top running to be a location for production and the senator is very, very interested in helping to make that happen," Sabas said.

With its abundance of historic World War II-era military locations, Hawai'i has been a favorite among filmmakers seeking to give their creations authenticity. In 2001, Hawai'i was showcased across the big screen in the war epic "Pearl Harbor."

Navy Lt. Cmdr. Jason Salata, a spokesman for Pacific Command, said the Pentagon's entertainment office is working with Hawai'i-based military officials to explore what is possible. At the moment, though, no specific film sites have been requested, he said.

"I am not aware of any specifics they are going to ask for," he said. "They have talked to us because the Department of Defense has a lot of facilities that have a lot of historic context, like Ford Island."

But if the Pentagon approves its participation in the project, Pacific Command would arrange for access to military installations, Salata said.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this a while ago. Aussie Sammy was saying they were thinking about using some island off the Queensland coast. Should be class like. I'm hoping for an extended version of 'The Thin Red Line'.

I wonder if they'll jump the shark with this one, with the pressure of having to out do the first.

I had to look that up. What a class phrase btw.

I wonder if they'll jump the shark with this one, with the pressure of having to out do the first.

Fonzy. ;)

I always use that phrase with regards to modern day Simpsons.

I mentioned this a while ago. Aussie Sammy was saying they were thinking about using some island off the Queensland coast. Should be class like. I'm hoping for an extended version of 'The Thin Red Line'.

Always thought Thin Red Line would have been better as a series.

Fonzy. :icon_lol:

I always use that phrase with regards to The Wire.

FYP

;)

Fonzy. :icon_lol:

I always use that phrase with regards to The Wire.

FYP

;)

How did The Wire jump the shark like? :icon_lol:

im watching the 1st set again at the mo.

great stuff - but i still think tour of duty is the daddy.

You can only get the sans music DVD collection though can't you? (cheapskate lack of music rights ;))

Used to love Tour of Duty. Seem to remember nearly every episode consisting of a recon mission where someone (normally a rookie) didn't make it back. So obvious it was shot in California as well. Still good though.

Tour of duty, Used to love watching that when i was a kid (only 26 so must have been 6-8 or so when it was out) but i remember it pretty well.

it used Paint it Black for the theme tune and everything!

Band of brothers is great, first thing i watched when i got my hdtv last xmas, one after the other throughout the whole day.

But this new one... not sure if it'll be as good without the likes of Ron Livingstone etc being in it, they did really well with the cast for that show.

Tour of Duty was repeated a lot during the early - mid 90s as well like. The music on show in general was class.

be interesting to see if they cover any of the brutality in this new series

the japs were known to cut the genitals off dead soldiers and stuff them in the mouth

the americans also removed gold teeth from dead japs