'We are ready to forgive Ashley'

Snake

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-22382011/

NEWCASTLE United fans are willing to forgive Mike Ashley for his costly mistakes at St James’s Park as they look to bring an end to the unrest and disenchantment which has soured this season – but only if he is willing to admit them.

With Ashley struggling to find a buyer prepared to match his asking price and with the global economic crisis threatening to jeopardise any takeover for the foreseeable future, some supporters have realised a truce could be needed to ensure the club’s problems off the pitch do not lead to a disaster on it.

Having ensured there is some semblance of stability in the dressing room last week by extending Joe Kinnear’s contract as manager until the end of the season, the newly-formed Newcastle United Supporters Club (NUSC) has urged Ashley to bring an end to the detrimental state of limbo which set in after Kevin Keegan’s controversial departure and to start taking responsibility again for United’s long-term health. Although Kinnear has collected 10 points from a possible 24 since he became the club’s temporary manager in September and has guided the Magpies out of the bottom three, United are still in considerable danger of relegation, a threat which would be just as dire for Ashley, as it would wipe millions of the club’s valuation.

As a result, with the January transfer window approaching and with no prospect of new owners before the end of the year, Malcolm Shiels, chairman of NUSC, has admitted a compromise should be reached to benefit everyone associated with the black and white stripes.

“I think a large number of Newcastle fans would be willing to accept Ashley back if he is willing to try and take the club forward again,” said Shiels, who believes a collective voice for Newcastle fans is long overdue, even though their attempts to communicate with Ashley have been frustratingly ignored so far.

“What we want, more than anything, is to see an end to the state of limbo which has been so damaging over the last few months. If he was to come out and say he can’t sell the club, but he is willing to come back and try again to get things right, he would be given a chance to do just that. He has made mistakes and he probably knows it. If he was to actually come out and admit those mistakes and express a desire to look forward rather than back, I think most fans would be okay with that.

“The most important thing at the moment is that Joe Kinnear is allowed to manage the side as he wants to. If Joe’s the manager he needs to be given money to spend in January – that’s imperative if the club is going to move forward positively.

“If Ashley (pictured right) is willing to provide that money and allows Kinnear to control how he spends it, I think it will turn around for him very quickly. If Kinnear is allowed to offer new contracts to the likes of Michael Owen and Nicky Butt that will also be a big step in the right direction.

“But Ashley has to come out and say this, he has to have some sort of dialogue with the supporters to bring an end to this negative atmosphere.”

There is no doubt, in an ideal world, the vast majority of supporters would prefer to see the back of Ashley and his main allies, managing director Derek Llambias and executive director (football) Dennis Wise. But there is also a realisation it is expedient to ensure the club does not suffer any major damage while the search for new owners takes place. Shiels explained: “The main aims of the NUSC are to work positively with the owners and management of Newcastle United who have its best interests at heart, whoever that may be.

“There is no doubt the situation and executive management actions before and after the Hull game led to the formation of the NUSC, and the NUSC led calls for Mike Ashley to leave.

“However, the overriding long-term aim and ambition is to establish a positive regular dialogue with the board and eventually a representative place on the board giving a true Newcastle fans’ voice.” An online survey by The Journal last week indicated 44% of Newcastle fans would be willing to take Ashley back and, while there is still considerable opposition to him because of the way he allowed Keegan to be treated, Shiels hopes he has learnt some valuable lessons.

He added: “The biggest problem Ashley has is suspicion about his intentions has been allowed to fester because of the lack of communication from him. Since Chris Mort left we’ve had no dialogue from any senior figure at the club.”

Anyone interested in joining NUSC should visit the website at www.newcastle-united-supporters-club.co.uk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean they won't be writing to the club sponsors and telling them they will boycott their products if they don't pull out of NUFC?

Maybe they've had a realism epiphany as probably both you and I think is sensible - I don't think that's unreasonable.

i'd forgive him if he started doing his job seriously. ie get rid if wise and don't appoint another director of football. give kinnear enough money to spend in january and stop flogging decent players like milner and replacing them with donkeys like xisco. i think the majority of us would forgive him too.

no one expects us to be world beaters, but the only way we're going to improve is by keeping our better players and only selling players we can replace with them with better quality.

i'd forgive him if he started doing his job seriously. ie get rid if wise and don't appoint another director of football. give kinnear enough money to spend in january and stop flogging decent players like milner and replacing them with donkeys like xisco. i think the majority of us would forgive him too.

no one expects us to be world beaters, but the only way we're going to improve is by keeping our better players and only selling players we can replace with them with better quality.

Why would we ever trust Ashley again. This is all posturing by the charlatan and his puppet (kinnear) to try and weedle his way back. His statement was mostly lies - family threatened ???, 20M£ to spend - where? Keegan knew his role - contradicts everything previously stated. He was always using the club for a quick profit and this would have come to fruition were it not for the credit crunch. He has wrecked this season with his ridiculous idea of how to run a football club. GET OUT and DONT COME BACK!!!!!!!!

We're all sadly human - I won't forgive him for getting my hopes up and then dashing them and I don't trust a word he says but if he get's his arse in gear and moves the club forward then I'll be "grateful" after a fashion.

Ideally I still want him gone but accept that if he has to stay (another issue) then he has a chance.

Dear Mr.Ashley,

Sack Little Dennis today&make him walk home, get a proper manager in, sort out the players contracts, give decent funding in the transfer window, stop selling our best or developing players,find sensible buyers for the club and sell it to them at a reasonable price....

Then fuck off...

Then we'll talk forgiveness,

lots of love

Monkeys Fist

XXX

Did Malcolm Shiels consult the NUSC membership before making this announcement?

Given that Ashley appears to have completely ignored their requests for dialogue and absolutely nothing has changed I find this an astounding statement.

It's not just about forgiving him, I can never trust him again.

Couldn't agree more, the bloke is an utter disgrace and hated by the vast majority of genuine Newcastle fans

Aye, and the trust issue is spot on.

Given that Ashley appears to have completely ignored their requests for dialogue and absolutely nothing has changed I find this an astounding statement.

good point there ewerk.totally agree with the :rolleyes: reaction to the statement. very strange

Give them a break man, it appears they're trying to reflect the diversity of opinion across the fan base, not an easy task with our lot.

Give them a break man, it appears they're trying to reflect the diversity of opinion across the fan base, not an easy task with our lot.

Aye. I thought just about everyone wanted them to moderate their views a bit.

according to figures in the OP, this reflects a minority view tho?

Well that's my main gripe, how do they guage the opinion of the fanbase? Was there a meeting held on the issue? Or is this simply another 'supporters' group' who claim to speak for the fans without consulting them?

Aye. I thought just about everyone wanted them to moderate their views a bit.

Personally it wasn't their views I had a problem with but it was the childish statements they were coming out with. While their most recent statement is much more clear and concise, it's not a view I agree with and would be interested to know if this is representative of the fanbase.

An online survey by The Journal last week indicated 44% of Newcastle fans would be willing to take Ashley back and, while there is still considerable opposition to him because of the way he allowed Keegan to be treated, Shiels hopes he has learnt some valuable lessons.

50+% of that 44% being Sunderland fan voting yes. :icon_lol:;)

I think I've also lost any faith I had in the 'supporter club'. Un-fucking-believable.

If there was honestly 44% of 'real' Newcastle fans who are prepared to forgive and forget then fuck them and their 'support', they can fuck off and support a team closer to their heart like the fucking Mackems. I knew it'd come to this, fucking disgrace.