ohhh_yeah

Kevin Keegan begins legal action against Newcastle

Three months after his departure from St James’ Park, Kevin Keegan has begun legal proceedings against Newcastle United, with his solicitor officially lodging a multimillion-pound claim for constructive dismissal against the club. The former England manager left Tyneside in controversial circumstances in September amid allegations of interference at boardroom level in first-team affairs.

Newcastle’s position is that Keegan submitted his resignation, although he will argue that he was effectively forced from his position. Having been given public guarantees by Mike Ashley, the club’s owner, and Dennis Wise, the executive director (football), that he would have the final say on transfers, the allegation is that players were signed without the manager’s approval.

The matter will be heard by a three-man Premier League tribunal at which evidence will be heard from Keegan, who is claiming that he is owed £8 million over the almost three years that remained on his contract, and Newcastle officials. The tribunal is empowered to rule on the issue, although disagreements would be dispatched to the High Court for final arbitration.

It is thought unlikely that the process will stretch that far, with a settlement — probably before Christmas — a more realistic outcome. Keegan, however, has been determined to fight his corner, both on a point of principle and financially, having seen his second managerial stint at Newcastle end in such a disappointing manner.

Having electrified the club, the city and supporters after his appointment in January this year, differences emerged between Keegan, Wise and Ashley over the running of the club and the separation of their duties. His exit dismayed the fans, prompting passionate protests, the formation of the Newcastle United Supporters Club and causing Ashley to announce that he would sell Newcastle.

While Joe Kinnear, Keegan’s replacement — initially on an interim basis and now on a season-long contract — has, up to a point, stabilised results, Newcastle are entrenched in a relegation battle in a season that, at one stage, had promised so much.

Keegan remains popular with players and supporters, although there is little chance of him returning to the club in the event of any takeover. It is alleged that Keegan had been told that he would be permitted to reinvest the £12 million proceeds of James Milner’s sale to Aston Villa in August, but that the signings of Xisco, the 22-year-old forward from Deportivo La Coruña, and Ignacio González, the 26-year-old midfield player from Valencia, on transfer deadline day were made above his head.

In subsequent negotiations with Ashley, Keegan refused to return to his role unless the influence of Wise and other directors was curtailed.

George Caulkin

From The Times

December 5, 2008

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep. i sympathise with keegan, but don't believe he'll get what he wants.

I think he's got a decent case, he's lucky that he has public quotes from Ashley to support what he's claiming.

Kevin Keegan begins legal action against Newcastle

Three months after his departure from St James’ Park, Kevin Keegan has begun legal proceedings against Newcastle United, with his solicitor officially lodging a multimillion-pound claim for constructive dismissal against the club. The former England manager left Tyneside in controversial circumstances in September amid allegations of interference at boardroom level in first-team affairs.

Newcastle’s position is that Keegan submitted his resignation, although he will argue that he was effectively forced from his position. Having been given public guarantees by Mike Ashley, the club’s owner, and Dennis Wise, the executive director (football), that he would have the final say on transfers, the allegation is that players were signed without the manager’s approval.

The matter will be heard by a three-man Premier League tribunal at which evidence will be heard from Keegan, who is claiming that he is owed £8 million over the almost three years that remained on his contract, and Newcastle officials. The tribunal is empowered to rule on the issue, although disagreements would be dispatched to the High Court for final arbitration.

It is thought unlikely that the process will stretch that far, with a settlement — probably before Christmas — a more realistic outcome. Keegan, however, has been determined to fight his corner, both on a point of principle and financially, having seen his second managerial stint at Newcastle end in such a disappointing manner.

Having electrified the club, the city and supporters after his appointment in January this year, differences emerged between Keegan, Wise and Ashley over the running of the club and the separation of their duties. His exit dismayed the fans, prompting passionate protests, the formation of the Newcastle United Supporters Club and causing Ashley to announce that he would sell Newcastle.

While Joe Kinnear, Keegan’s replacement — initially on an interim basis and now on a season-long contract — has, up to a point, stabilised results, Newcastle are entrenched in a relegation battle in a season that, at one stage, had promised so much.

Keegan remains popular with players and supporters, although there is little chance of him returning to the club in the event of any takeover. It is alleged that Keegan had been told that he would be permitted to reinvest the £12 million proceeds of James Milner’s sale to Aston Villa in August, but that the signings of Xisco, the 22-year-old forward from Deportivo La Coruña, and Ignacio González, the 26-year-old midfield player from Valencia, on transfer deadline day were made above his head.

In subsequent negotiations with Ashley, Keegan refused to return to his role unless the influence of Wise and other directors was curtailed.

George Caulkin

From The Times

December 5, 2008

I hope Kev wins this, especially seeing as how Fat Cunt now thinks it's a good idea (allegedly) to move more towards doing exactly what Keegan wanted to enable him to stay as manager. I fucking hate Mike Ashley for this and it's something that I'll never, never forgive him for - it could all have been so much better, never seeing anything like the mess we're in now and enjoying it all together.

I hope kev wins as well tbh

he was promised the money for Milner, so he's going to get it one way or another

Jesus wept.

no he didn't,

I'm at the stage i just don't really give a fuck Baggio too much shite gone on and i'm getting little to no enjoyment from following the club currently.

The clubs not going be sold for the foreseeable future, Ashley can afford to hand out 8m and we won't miss it being wasted on another Xisco-esq signing, if there was going to be any spending at all.

So frankly i'd be happy to see one of the people who brought a smile to my face when i was watching the toon get a bit back after being fucked over by the same people currently draining the enjoyment out of being a supporter

Or 4 Sebastien Bassong's...

Either way you look at it why anyone would want Keegan to take Newcastle United (because that's who he's claiming against) to court and actually walk away with £8 million is bizarre.

I hope kev wins as well tbh

he was promised the money for Milner, so he's going to get it one way or another

Jesus wept.

no he didn't,

I'm at the stage i just don't really give a fuck Baggio too much shite gone on and i'm getting little to no enjoyment from following the club currently.

The clubs not going be sold for the foreseeable future, Ashley can afford to hand out 8m and we won't miss it being wasted on another Xisco-esq signing, if there was going to be any spending at all.

So frankly i'd be happy to see one of the people who brought a smile to my face when i was watching the toon get a bit back after being fucked over by the same people currently draining the enjoyment out of being a supporter

Or 4 Sebastien Bassong's...

Either way you look at it why anyone would want Keegan to take Newcastle United (because that's who he's claiming against) to court and actually walk away with £8 million is bizarre.

I assume he's claiming against NUFC because that's all he can claim against. He was employed by the club, not Mike Ashley himself.

I'll kiss you on the mouth if he walks away with £8 million. I fully expect it'll be a couple o'mill and an apology from Fat Ash.

Bassongs had a few good games lets not start creaming ourselves over him just yet eh?

or how about another fee for an injured on loan midfielder.

I really can't be fucked with another debate over the transfers Baggio

like I said my faith and enjoyment in the club is at an all time low, lower than even when Souness was announced, and I wouldn't begrudge one of the few people who brought a smile to my face at the club and had us turning the corner after a recent spate of shitty years/seasons we've endured, getting a bit of luck after being dicked around by a load of people i hate.

but as above it'll never be 8m and it'll never be finished in court.

out of court settlement of a couple of million quid and a non disclosure agreement

And Xisco has had a couple of bad games and you mention him all of the time to slag off the Summer transfers, even though Bassong, Coloccini and Jonas have all been impressive.

As for him giving you enjoyment, he won about 5 league games in the best part of 8 months so don't get carried away.

I personally think Ashley would be happy to settle for a few million out of court now it looks like some of the fans are prepared to give him another chance, it's not really worth the hassle to him or the club to have this all dragged back up again now it's started to settle down.

As for him giving you enjoyment, he won about 5 league games in the best part of 8 months so don't get carried away.

And played some of the best football seen since Robson left, the bastard (well unless you like Hoofball).

I personally think Ashley would be happy to settle for a few million out of court now it looks like some of the fans are prepared to give him another chance, it's not really worth the hassle to him or the club to have this all dragged back up again now it's started to settle down.

You mean the 44% of Sunderland fans that voted on that online poll? :birthday:

Shouldn't you include friendly results if you insist on holding the summer break against him?

As for your point that people should support the club ahead of Keegan. Why? If Keegan wins it, then tough luck. Of course it would make a cash tight situation even worse. But then it is going to show up Ashley even more. He is responsible for this mess then anyway. I wouldn't expect anyone to sacrifice 8m if he is on the right end of the law.

I actually really think it's better not settled out of court because it would mean that people would say that one or the other side (or probably both) had something to brush under the carpet. I'd rather have that everything is known about this awful situation.