iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

Cheers. Should be alright for service at my house/work cos my lass is O2 and has no bother.

Is it genuine unlimited data? I'm thinking I'll just stream all music and podcasts if so.

Yes

I use TuneIn and SkyGo all day everyday. I get 5mb speeds as well which is mental over 3G

A803B093-830E-46DE-9DF5-6984D46292AD-1387-0000009A0637C65E_zpsd950f8d4.jpg

Edited by TheRollingStones

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes

I use TuneIn and SkyGo all day everyday. I get 5mb speeds as well which is mental over 3G

A803B093-830E-46DE-9DF5-6984D46292AD-1387-0000009A0637C65E_zpsd950f8d4.jpg

Nice one. Just requested my PAC code from Orange. More I just need my unlock code to come through and I'm sorted.

Off the top of my head I'd say Job's was directly responsible for GUIs, iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, and the concept of apps. Not saying he invented these things, but was the first to bring them to mass market. That's one hell of a portfolio.

Well he's left Apple now because he's brown bread (ironically an avoidable death caused by a personality flaw). And ever since, competitors have stolen the march on Apple as their shares plummet. This has precedent of course. Don't see why it will be different this time.

That's not even an analysis. What you're basically saying is the tech world would have a whole new market and product segment that no one has thought of yet if Jobs was still alive.

Shite.

Aye the idea that tablets have replaced laptops is a nonsense. They're useless for actually getting anything done on. Try using a word processor or spreadsheet on a tablet ffs.

You want to stop being boring and have some fun on your device ;)

I don't doubt that tablets will develop to be work devices. I'm on my Ipad now, have been all day. Been working abroad and currently on a plane waiting to take off. The iPad is ubiquitous in our meetings now.

Jobs' death has not caused Apple's problems. Granted it hasn't helped but it's been a fair few years now since Apple offered anything revolutionary.

Unfortunately innovation doesn't work on a timetable.

Jobs' death has not caused Apple's problems. Granted it hasn't helped but it's been a fair few years now since Apple offered anything revolutionary.

Unfortunately innovation doesn't work on a timetable.

It pretty much did with Jobs though.

Oh and Chez, it wasn't supposed to be an analysis, it was just an opinion and a bit of a casual prediction. Quite amusing you seem to be getting so het up about though. ;)

It pretty much did with Jobs though.

If it did then why have we not seen anything new for several years?

The development process is obviously many years long so Apple should still be releasing the results of Jobs' innovation if he was still churning it out up to a few years before his death.

There is undoubtedly a cult feeling around the man and while he was certainly a pioneer he wasn't this infallible god that some have turned him in to.

Alright, point taken, there's not been much since the iPad, but imo up until the iPhone 4 Apple had a lead on competitors in terms of premium feel, usability and desirability. I don't accept that's the case any more and I feel iOS is likely to become niche in the future.

Edited by Renton

I'm a total Apple fan boy. I'm disgusted by anyone whose MP3 player is not an ipod. I feel physically sick to use someones computer when their music library is not sorted and labelled in Itunes. These are tools Apple doesn't place a premium on though. The ipod may have been expensive to start with, but there was nothing like it. As other companies copied, Apple always stayed competitive with the amount of storage your money got you by comparison. Do a search on Amazon for an MP3 player over 60GB. The larger ipods are cheaper than all the competition....and still have the best functionally.

I wanted an Iphone when they came out but I was an idiot and had just got tied into a 2 year deal with an old style Nokia. I may have paid a premium then for the only smartphone worth having.....but 24 months later the HTC Desire HD was doing 90% of what the iphone 3 would for half the price. Apple were releasing new models of the same thing and not pricing them competitively enough for me to justify it. As much as I love Apple stuff, I won't throw money at them for the brand alone.

That was another 2 year contract and when it came to renew this time I was looking for a SIM free phone. £445 for a 16GB sim free Iphone 5 or £239 for a 16GB sim free Nexus 4 is a no brainer. The ONLY thing the former offers is 4g...but then the latter offers NFC which the iphone lacks

Same deal with the ipad 3 versus Nexus 10. Anyone going with Apple at this point is paying through the nose for Apple's past innovations.

I'm not convinced by the glasses of Google or the Watch from Apple (knowing nowt about either like) or the touch wall from Microsoft for that matter. They all stink to me of behemoth companies chasing the next big innovation rather than what they've done before, which seems to me was make it easier & more fun to do things we already did anyway.

I'm not convinced by the glasses of Google or the Watch from Apple (knowing nowt about either like) or the touch wall from Microsoft for that matter. They all stink to me of behemoth companies chasing the next big innovation rather than what they've done before, which seems to me was make it easier & more fun to do things we already did anyway.

I am definitely getting Google Glasses, they sound absurdly awesome!

The great thing about google glasses is that you will be able to tell, straight away and from distance, whether someone is a douche.

The great thing about google glasses is that you will be able to tell, straight away and from distance, whether someone is a douche.

And run away from them efficiently with your Google trainers!

:lol: That's very true in the UK. In China and Japan however... babe magnet. I'm only half kidding as well.

Also I fucking hate wearing glasses, they may as well do something interesting.

• 1 month later...

Rumours have been swirling that Google Now (the Big G’s super-useful personal assistant application) would be coming to the search page on Google.com, but surprise! Our friends on iOS are getting the love first. Starting today, Google Now will be rolled into the Google Search app for iPhone and iPad.

18m4lvf4ynri4jpg.jpg

Google Now, for those not familiar, is a very slick app that debuted in Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) last June. Its main selling point is that it gives you the information you want before you even ask for it. It’s not perfect, but it’s come a long way since launch, and it’s pretty excellent. It can tell you when you need to leave for your next appointment, and give you directions for getting there. It can automatically track everything from your FedEx packages to your favourite sports teams in real time. The information shows up on little cards (and in notifications, if you so desire), which are easy to read and simple to dismiss. You decide how much or how little of your personal information you give it access to, but of course the more access you give it, the more it can do.

Google Now is now a part of the Google Search app for iOS. You just download the app (or app update if you already have it), and log in to your Google account. Then you can start tweaking it to your heart’s content. While it will have almost all of the same functionality as the Android version, there will be a few things missing at launch: it can’t yet manage your boarding passes, events, concerts, research topics, nearby events, and a couple of other things, but those will likely be added soon. In the meantime, everything else is just as you’d find it in Jelly Bean. At the same time, it won’t be quite as integrated an experience as it is on Android. On Android, Now runs constantly in the background, and is never more than a tap away. For iOS, it’ll likely be sandboxed into Google Search, and won’t be quite as easy to access. Still, though! Better to have it slightly hamstrung than not to have it at all.

You might think that Google would want to save some special sauce for its Android users, but ultimately Google sells Google, not Android. And while Google Now gives you lots of useful information, it also gives Google access to all kinds of geolocation and personal preference data that will make it easier to serve you highly relevant ads across every platform. The move also fits right in with the rumours that Now may be coming to Google’s homepage for users who are signed in (which would be awesome). Google just wants you to use its products, and it’s down to give away a lot of good stuff to keep you using them, regardless of what phone, computer, or browser you use.

iOS users can get Now through a Google Search update in the app store starting today. Give it a shot, and see what you think. It may take a few days for it to learn your preferences and what info is important to you, but once it does, you’ll start to wonder how you ever lived without it.

http://www.gizmodo.c...-should-get-it/

Any iPhone users been giving it a whirl yet?

I think the android version in the UK is deficient compared to the US. Only a limited number of cards seem to ever pop up, but those that do are handy. Looking forward to the day they sort it out though.

Not really.

It's largely timed based on your movements. So it learns what time you get up and what time you head home from work and it generally gives you a traffic report at that time. Or if you have an appointment through the day, it checks your route to that and reports back based on journey length/time rather than constantly trawling for the traffic at this moment.

Tells you stock prices you have an interest in at open anc close of the market, rather than monitoring it all day long.

Tells you the days weather in the morning....or at your destination ahead of a holiday.

To get the best out of it you need to have your GPS on all the time though, so that it can learn and automatically check into regular haunts, restaurants, cinemas and that. Think that drains more battery than the app itself using the data provided by GPS.

Note: You may notice the Location Services icon in your status bar after you start using Google Now. It appears because Google Search sometimes reports your location even when you’re not actively using the app. Google Now uses these reports to give you traffic alerts and other updates. Along with Location Services, Google Now uses Location Reporting to get precise location information. Since Location Reporting has been optimized to use GPS as infrequently as possible, there should be minimal impact on your battery life.

http://support.google.com/websearch/answer/3036705?hl=en&ref_topic=21054

Looking at the reviews and people complaining about location services draining battery. Quite often an app will ask allow location or push services and I just say yes!

Should these be turned off and is there a way to check if anything is hammering battery life.

My phone learnt where I worked and lived without me telling it. It now tracks my every movement, sometimes quite handy recalling where I was the previous week. Mind, been a bit depressing how dull my life has been the past few weeks - goes something like home - work - home, home - work - home, home - match - pub - home etc.

My phone learnt where I worked and lived without me telling it. It now tracks my every movement, sometimes quite handy recalling where I was the previous week. Mind, been a bit depressing how dull my life has been the past few weeks - goes something like home - work - home, home - work - home, home - match - pub - home etc.

Not this weekend though ;)

I find it to be rarely useful tbh. Every now and again it'll give you some useful info and if you Google particular sports teams it'll start providing you with score updates and upcoming fixtures.

If you Google a pub or whatever, it'll automatically provide directions in your Google Now feed.

Mostly it just looks nice though.

Having said that, you have to give it some time to gather info. You can't just turn it on and expect it to be feeding you with a load of relevant stuff straight away.