iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

Btw Chez, your patter yesterday about how groundbreaking the concept of tapping an icon to open an app is... Have you seen a Windows desktop ffs? :lol:

No one mentioned groundbreaking, it was the innovations around 'touching' not the icon itself. The touchscreen costs billions of investment to develop and a lot of effort to get right. All that was copied too.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like with Google Play, how would you know if its any good?

Gemmill http://appleinsider....phone_ipad.html

Dont know if its better than what else is out there, as a user i cant imagine what services i am missing.

I know Google play is mint because i use it for all of my apps which I can access from any machine. The music side of Google play is the only part we in Europe aren't supposed to access yet. But in terms of features available and cost, even this Cult of Mac writer agrees there's little Itunes Match can beat it on for a user, only the artists get more from it (apparently).

No one mentioned groundbreaking, it was the innovations around 'touching' not the icon itself. The touchscreen costs billions of investment to develop and a lot of effort to get right. All that was copied too.

Apple were the first to introduce multi-touch on a mobile device, but they didn't invent it. They bought it off Fingerworks.

I know Google play is mint because i use it for all of my apps which I can access from any machine. The music side of Google play is the only part we in Europe aren't supposed to access yet. But in terms of features available and cost, even thisCult of Mac writer agrees there's little Itunes Match can beat it on for a user, only the artists get more from it (apparently).

I can access all my apps from any machine. I can access iTunes match today, not next year or whenever. It took no time to set up, it takes days to upload to Google, all my old mp3s are now the same quality as on the store. This is something i can do today and you dont know when you can do it. When are we getting Pandora in Europe?

When Google Play comes to Europe i can unsubscribe to match and change to that, only then will it be worth debating if its any good or not.

Google didnt invent Android. So what?

So claims of innovation within Apple should recognise that much of the innovation was done externally and bought into their house due to massive purchasing power.

I'm not making any claims as to the innovation of Google or android. I said earlier that I like how quickly they take (steal) the best of what Apple are producing and integrate it to their system. If apple don't own the rights to something they don't appear to want it anywhere near their phone....even if it makes for a better phone.

Related to this, how come apple have got away with introducing a new charger? I thought rules had been brought in to standardise the micro USB because billions of chargers were going into landfills every year.

Related to this, how come apple have got away with introducing a new charger? I thought rules had been brought in to standardise the micro USB because billions of chargers were going into landfills every year.

first Ive heard of something like that

So claims of innovation within Apple should recognise that much of the innovation was done externally and bought into their house due to massive purchasing power.

The innovation was in the design and functionality. What a strange (or narrow) way of looking at innovation. The man who invented tom toms for cars gets no credit because he didnt invent the satellite?

first Ive heard of something like that

I was voicing a vague recollection....

In September 2007, the Open Mobile Terminal Platform group (a forum of mobile network operators and manufacturers such as Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, Sony Ericsson and LG) announced that its members had agreed on micro-USB as the future common connector for mobile devices.

On 17 February 2009, the GSM Association (GSMA) announced that they had agreed on a standard charger for mobile phones.

The standard connector to be adopted by manufacturers including Nokia, Motorola and Samsung is to be the micro-USB connector (several media reports erroneously reported this as the mini-USB). The new chargers will be much more efficient than existing chargers.

Having a standard charger for all phones means that manufacturers will no longer have to supply a charger with every new phone. The basis of the GSMA's Universal Charging Solution (UCS) is the technical recommendation from OMTP and the USB-IF battery charging standard.

On 22 April 2009, this was further endorsed by the CTIA – The Wireless Association.

On 22 October 2009, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) announced that it had embraced the Universal Charging Solution as its "energy-efficient one-charger-fits-all new mobile phone solution", and added: "Based on the Micro-USB interface, UCS chargers will also include a 4-star or higher efficiency rating—up to three times more energy-efficient than an unrated charger".

In June 2009, many of the world's largest mobile phone manufacturers signed an EC-sponsored Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), agreeing to make most data-enabled mobile phones marketed in the European Union compatible with a common External Power Supply (EPS). The EU's common EPS specification (EN 62684:2010) references the USB Battery Charging standard and is similar to the GSMA/OMTP and Chinese charging solutions. In January 2011, the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) released its version of the (EU's) common EPS standard as IEC 62684:2011[60]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Mobile_device_charger_standards

'Botch job' nearly as informative as Gemmill's 'its clunky' critique.

The level of innovation between now and 2 years across the mobile market? You could argue there has been little of note in the last 2 years. A bit of forgotten history for you

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2008/04/send-in-the-icl.html

Last week at CTIA 2008, the biggest tradeshow in the U.S. devoted to cell phones and other things wireless, key manufacturers Samsung, LG, and Sony Ericsson didn't even try to deny that the upcoming models they eagerly trotted before us bore a strong resemblance to the iPhone.

The newcomers unabashedly borrowed from Apple's hit multimedia smartphone in looks and ergonomic design. Like the iPhone, the Samsung Instinct, the Sony Ericsson X1 (click on the image at right for a closer look), and the LG Vu have a large, dark touch screen (about 3-in. measured diagonally) framed by a shiny metallic edge. Their interfaces, though distinct, all provide a quick way to jump in and out of their many functions, from phone calling and text messaging to media playback and Web browsing. And like the iPhone, if you select the wrong application icon, pushing a home key brings you right back to the main menu.

Pending our thorough tests of these pending pretenders, we can't say how well they stack up against their inspiration. But used briefly on the tradeshow floor, their performances seemed quite impressive, and some even add useful features the iPhone lacks.

I'm not making any claims as to the innovation of Google or android. I said earlier that I like how quickly they take (steal) the best of what Apple are producing and integrate it to their system. If apple don't own the rights to something they don't appear to want it anywhere near their phone....even if it makes for a better phone.

Cause apple are cock sucking devil scum.

Is the reason some Apple users are so evangelical about the company because they're too heavily invested (hardware, software) to get out I wonder? Much like any other religion?

To be fair android fanboys seem worse than apple fanboys. I hate both because it's ridiculous (if an android phone I loved came out if prefer, there just isn't one)

Cause apple are cock sucking devil scum.

I love apple. I still see my 10 year old ipod as the best thing I ever bought.

They aren't beyond criticism though. After a decade I'm still not sure why their portable devices are considered "disposable" and no-one bats an eye at paying £200 for an MP3 player that will die a permanent death in 2 years.

The innovation was in the design and functionality. What a strange (or narrow) way of looking at innovation. The man who invented tom toms for cars gets no credit because he didnt invent the satellite?

But the man who invented the tom tom didn't issue a press release at the time to say "I've invented a satellite! WOOT!!"

how so?

For two reasons. First, because there's literally nothing innovative, which is ridiculous for a company supposedly synonymous with innovation. Secondly, because I'm convinced they've got the aspect ratio wrong. I'm looking at an iPhone 4 as I type this. The thought of an extra half inch of screen real estate on the top is just meh. It's going to look shit and add almost no functionality. It will even make existing apps look worse. No need for patent lawyers here, no-one is going to copy this. Bookmark this of you like.

I love apple. I still see my 10 year old ipod as the best thing I ever bought.

They aren't beyond criticism though. After a decade I'm still not sure why their portable devices are considered "disposable" and no-one bats an eye at paying £200 for an MP3 player that will die a permanent death in 2 years.

Sentence 2 is inconsistent with sentence 4.

Edited by ChezGiven

To be fair android fanboys seem worse than apple fanboys. I hate both because it's ridiculous (if an android phone I loved came out if prefer, there just isn't one)

I've only ever had an iPhone but think your wrong. I know loads of people who treat Apple products as much more than consumer electronics. Watch the queues at the launch and the bizarre behaviour of the geniuses (acolytes) during it; what Android equivalent is there to that?

My mate who works at range always goes on about people going in and asking what the best phone is. He'll reply that in his opinion it's the iPhone, he gets 10 minute rants about how the company is evil and product is inferior and their opinion is right. there's a lot of 'I prefer android so I go on about it when I see an iPhone.' I've never seen the reverse. Doesn't matter anyway, as long as most people are sane and dont have a near limerance for a brand

My mate who works at range always goes on about people going in and asking what the best phone is. He'll reply that in his opinion it's the iPhone, he gets 10 minute rants about how the company is evil and product is inferior and their opinion is right. there's a lot of 'I prefer android so I go on about it when I see an iPhone.' I've never seen the reverse. Doesn't matter anyway, as long as most people are sane and dont have a near limerance for a brand

Its a bit like mackems and geordies iyam.