iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iPhone users are dumping Apple's clunky preloaded software and replacing it with rivals' stealthy apps. Download this dozen

The iPhone 5: a few select changes make it state-of-the-art. Photograph: Beck Diefenbach/Reuters

Stuart Dredge

Sun 3 March 2013

The chances are, if you've bought an iPhone, that you think pretty highly of Apple – or at least highly enough to opt for its iOS software over rivals Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry.

With that in mind, filing lots of Apple-made apps that come preloaded on an iPhone into a junk folder and replacing them with those made by other companies may sound counterintuitive. But that's what an increasing number of iPhone owners are doing.

Why? In some cases, the alternatives are better. For example, 10 million people downloaded the Google Maps app in the first two days after its release in December 2012, which followed earlier publicity about problems with Apple's own Maps application.

De-Appling an iPhone isn't just a response to big problems, however. Apple tends to release a major update of its iOS software once a year, and then minor updates throughout the year which rarely tinker with its preloaded apps. That annual update cycle means plenty of room for clever developers to come up with apps whose features go beyond what's available in Apple's software.

Apps such as Mailbox and Haze have brought slick swipe-based controls to email and weather respectively; Camera+ has features that keen photographers love; Sunrise Calendar is a cleverer take on diary management; and Opera Mini will save you lots of money on roaming data charges, for example.

In other cases, people are choosing alternatives to Apple apps because they're using (or may use in the future) devices from other companies, and want the stuff they buy to be available on those too. An ebook bought from Apple's iBooks store will only work on iOS devices, but one bought from Amazon's Kindle store will be readable on a range of devices through that company's apps. Buying MP3s from 7digital reduces the pain of porting your music collection to non-Apple devices.

Apple has made noises in the past about rejecting apps from its App Store if they mirror features in its own software. Yet the fact that the 12 apps listed below are available in the store shows its policies are sensibly flexible.

Apple wants you to use and enjoy your iPhone more than it wants to lock you into every single one of its own apps. With that in mind, here's a snapshot of some popular alternatives worth a space on your homescreens.

The deft dozen: apps to make your iPhone better

Sparrow (£1.99) Sparrow isn't just better than Apple's own Mail app, it's better than Google's Gmail app – so much so that Google bought it in 2012. Features like attaching photos are useful, while its intuitive design makes inbox management a cinch.

Mailbox (Free) Fresh out in 2013, Mailbox is designed to work with Gmail accounts. Its innovation is single swipes to archive or delete emails, or kick them out of your inbox temporarily while you respond to important mails. There's a long waiting list to use it, but it's worth queuing.

Chrome (Free) Google's Chrome browser has been a big hit on desktop computers. That's the key advantage of its iOS version, since if you sign in to your Google account, all your desktop bookmarks, passwords and open tabs are available on your iPhone or iPad.

Opera Mini (Free) If you're travelling abroad and plan to use the mobile internet, Opera Mini is an essential download. It compresses webpages before they reach your phone, saving on your data usage – and thus on your mobile bill when you get back home.

Google Maps (Free) Apple's own Maps app isn't as bad as has been made out, and it's improving, but Google Maps is still the best and most reliable mapping app available for iPhone. Local search, voice-guided navigation and public transport directions are all built in.

7digital Music Sync (Free) Buying music from iTunes on an iPhone is quick and simple, but if you prefer to keep your music supplier independent, 7digital is well worth a look. Buy MP3s from its well-stocked website or mobile website, then store and play them on your phone using this app.

Record – Voice Recorder (£0.69) Do many people record voice memos on their iPhones? Those who do have dozens of alternatives to Apple's own Voice Memos app. Record works very well, recording memos (or meetings, interviews etc) then emailing them from your phone if required.

Camera+ (£0.69) There are social alternatives to Apple's built-in camera app on iPhone such as Instagram and Facebook Camera, but for pure photography features Camera+ is great. Powerful snapping features, crops and effects plus support to post on Facebook, Twitter and Flickr.

Evernote (Free) Fond as you may be of Apple's Post-it coloured Notes app, it may be time to consider Evernote as a cleverer alternative. It stores your notes (plus photos and voice memos) on Evernote's servers, ready to be accessed and shared from any device you like.

Haze (£0.69) Weather app Haze is one of the emerging class of apps that do away with as many buttons and on-screen options as possible. Here, the emphasis is on simple swiping to check the forecast, including temperature, sunshine hours and windchill. Where Apple's weather app is functional, this is elegant.

Sunrise Calendar (Free) A number of apps companies are trying to reimagine iPhone's Calendar, with Sunrise the best so far. It works with Google Calendar, Facebook and LinkedIn to remind you of birthdays and provide details of people you're meeting, with weather forecasts and reminders thrown in for good measure.

Kindle (Free) Apple's iBooks isn't the only ebooks store available on iOS. Amazon's Kindle reader app can download and display ebooks bought from the company's Kindle Store, although due to Apple's rules, the actual buying has to happen on Amazon's website or mobile site.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about to get a brand new ipad mini....for free!...scratch that, am getting 4 of the fuckers for introducing new customers to the accountancy firm I use :)

I'm also in the market for a new phone...what are the pros and cons of going completly apple?...never had an iphone, been using a nokia lumia for 15 months and it needs to go away for its 3rd software re boot so fuck that. Phones4u said theyd pay my contract up (till next Jan) if i trade the lumia in with them, there may be a charge depending on what phone I pick. Am looking at a Samsung S3 which a lot of folk say is the nuts, but am unsure...going to Lisbon next week need to do this Saturday...

what are the pros and cons of going completly apple?.

Pro

It's a very smooth, user friendly, pretty, linked up solution.

Cons

30% markup for the drawing of a bitten apple on the side

Locked in for the rest of your life

Very little personal modification

Paid cloud music rather than free

Pros: best ecosystem of apps out there, best functionality, best looking device. I like the way my apple devices all speak to each other via iCloud too. I update my calander or add a photo to photo stream on my iPhone and there it is on my iPad.

Cons: way more expensive than rival smartphones that are starting to do most things the iPhone can do for a fraction of the price.

Pro

It's a very smooth, user friendly, pretty, linked up solution.

Cons

30% markup for the drawing of a bitten apple on the side

Locked in for the rest of your life

Very little personal modification

Paid cloud music rather than free

So obviously everthing on your itunes is available through the icloud?...and I take it that you cant use google's cloud service on an iphone/pad?...grooveshark/spotify ok on ios?..

Thing is, I've got a laptop as it is. If I'm sourcing music from other "places" I get the option of putting it on to itunes if I wish to. Does this get round the problem or is my IT moron brain missing something?

Edited by PaddockLad

Pros: best ecosystem of apps out there, best functionality, best looking device. I like the way my apple devices all speak to each other via iCloud too. I update my calander or add a photo to photo stream on my iPhone and there it is on my iPad.

Cons: way more expensive than rival smartphones that are starting to do most things the iPhone can do for a fraction of the price.

Cost isnt a factor really as I'm getting the ipad for nowt. Anyone got an opinion on the Samsung Galaxy S3? :)

Thing is, I've got a laptop as it is. If I'm sourcing music from other "places" I get the option of putting it on to itunes if I wish to. Does this get round the problem or is my IT moron brain missing something?

Aye, you can use your own music in itunes/on the iphone and I believe it will sync with icloud. The only difference is that it will all have to be uploaded so will be time/data consuming.

I'm about to get a brand new ipad mini....for free!...scratch that, am getting 4 of the fuckers for introducing new customers to the accountancy firm I use :)

I'm also in the market for a new phone...what are the pros and cons of going completly apple?...never had an iphone, been using a nokia lumia for 15 months and it needs to go away for its 3rd software re boot so fuck that. Phones4u said theyd pay my contract up (till next Jan) if i trade the lumia in with them, there may be a charge depending on what phone I pick. Am looking at a Samsung S3 which a lot of folk say is the nuts, but am unsure...going to Lisbon next week need to do this Saturday...

The only advantage I can see for you getting an iPhone is the shared ecosystem with your new iPad. The S4 is out next month and you should also consider the Xperia Z. Honestly, android handsets are superior to Apple now and the OS is more fun.

they're not but anyway, as always it comes down to a personal preference, go have a nosey at the options in a shop see what you like.

They really are like. Compare the specs of the Xperia Z with the iPhone 5 for instance, plus you can use it under water.

The iPhone used to dominate the top ten lists of which phone to get in all the gadget magazines, now it's not in the top 5.

Edited by Renton

The only advantage I can see for you getting an iPhone is the shared ecosystem with your new iPad. The S4 is out next month and you should also consider the Xperia Z. Honestly, android handsets are superior to Apple now and the OS is more fun.

That may mean I could put the squeeze on for a lower line rental on the S3 perhaps?....thanks for the info, will look at the Xperia...

I think my phone contract is due in a couple of months and I will be keeping an eye on the Android phones around the time. The Galaxy S2/Android experience was much more preferable for me than an iPhone which I had prior to my S2.

ooo a bit of a dig about technology and manliness from the male nurse.. seriously :lol: i use them all on a daily basis like i said so i've probably more experience of them than you ;)

I'm not bothered like i said personal preference, i think those phones are bulky, i think touchwiz is shite, and sense is beyond bloated (hence the immense fuck up with older models not supporting newer android as they couldn't fit it on alongside sense)

Xperia is rated alongside the note for me as absurd to own as a phone, massive and considerably heavier, with a screen that eats battery life, 1080p on a 5" screen, honestly wtf is the point.

Getting your posters mixed up here Ant, how very far you!

Bet the next gen of iPhone has a larger HD screen as well, which is kind of the point - Apple as not the ones to beat any more. Must say I'm a bit surprised your not more into gadgets, I think it's incredible what the latest smart phones are capable of.

No I'm not a nurse. It's blatantly clear Apple aren't the innovators they once were, are you seriously disputing this?

I use my phone mainly for web surfing and watching videos or photos, so the size and resolution of the screen is canny important. I had an iPhone for years but my HTC does what I want better, end of. If you feel differently, fair enough.

Having had an iphone through work and a Galaxy S3 of my own for about a year, I quite easily come to the conclusion that I'd never pay for an iphone.

Got fantastic mail and calendar functionality but after that, it's pony.

Galaxy S3 is streets ahead.