iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jobs was an arsehole who created a snidey corportate culture. Like all successful business, Apple had well designed products, great pricing strategies and excellent marketing. These are the cornerstones of business success in every sector.

As Rayvin points out, they released the same phone 5 times and it was a copy, so what was so innovative about the Jobs era? I'd argue loads but people who dislike Apple say the iPhone and the iPad were not real innovations. I scoff at their utter lack of business understanding.

The share price on the other hand is a personal embarrassment.

Off the top of my head I'd say Job's was directly responsible for GUIs, iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, and the concept of apps. Not saying he invented these things, but was the first to bring them to mass market. That's one hell of a portfolio.

Well he's left Apple now because he's brown bread (ironically an avoidable death caused by a personality flaw). And ever since, competitors have stolen the march on Apple as their shares plummet. This has precedent of course. Don't see why it will be different this time.

And as for paying a premium for Apple, isn't the S4 roughly the same price as an iPhone 5?

Why not? The Galaxy range are massively popular; also even the S3 IS technically superior to the iPhone 5.

Why not? The Galaxy range are massively popular; also even the S3 IS technically superior to the iPhone 5.

A fair few in here seem to believe that Apple products are much more expensive than Android based products. I'm just pointing out that the iphone's biggest rival is now similarly priced (specs aside).

Well an 8gb one, not really much use to anyone. Though the 16gb version isn't that much more expensive.

I'll certainly be looking to jack in the iphone when its time comes if there are actually comparable phones for half the price. I don't know a lot about the Nexus but from a quick browse it doesn't seem to be missing much.

Off the top of my head I'd say Job's was directly responsible for GUIs, iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, and the concept of apps. Not saying he invented these things, but was the first to bring them to mass market. That's one hell of a portfolio.

Well he's left Apple now because he's brown bread (ironically an avoidable death caused by a personality flaw). And ever since, competitors have stolen the march on Apple as their shares plummet. This has precedent of course. Don't see why it will be different this time.

What did he die of again?...wiki plays it with a straight bat, but was he 50 a day or a skag head or something?

Looking at it from outside the IT world, if he was nicking good ideas and bringing them to the mass market then his core strength was as an imaginitive marketeer, rather than someone who dreamt up techy stuff from scratch?...which makes him a suit basically, not an "engineer" as such. Which,I admit, is probably simplifying it a bit.

What did he die of again?...wiki plays it with a straight bat, but was he 50 a day or a skag head or something?

Looking at it from outside the IT world, if he was nicking good ideas and bringing them to the mass market then his core strength was as an imaginitive marketeer, rather than someone who dreamt up techy stuff from scratch?...which makes him a suit basically, not an "engineer" as such. Which,I admit, is probably simplifying it a bit.

I think he's referring to when he was first diagnosed he went down an alternative therapy route before going back to science possibly too late. Might not have made any difference.

He was certainly a techy very early on - see the Xerox stuff - which I think makes people think he drove Apple technically later.

Aye, he rejected modern medicine, which very likely would have saved his life, in favour of snake oil woo. Saying he was merely a marketeer is not right, he was a visionary imo, with a devoted audience who gave him almost deity status.

people scoffed at the idea i presented that laptops were dead.

I'm still scoffing.

Tablets are shit for most stuff outside of browsing the web and media and some dedicated apps.

Mobile sites tend to lack half of the functionality of non-mobile. It may improve as designers come up with innovative solutions, but vid-trim is never going to replace Sony Vegas, as an example.

Well an 8gb one, not really much use to anyone. Though the 16gb version isn't that much more expensive.

I'll certainly be looking to jack in the iphone when its time comes if there are actually comparable phones for half the price. I don't know a lot about the Nexus but from a quick browse it doesn't seem to be missing much.

It's missing 4G

Some people see it as huge. But the only provider of 4G in the UK at the moment is limiting their data Package to 1GB.

Data costs are exorbitant after your free use.

To tell people they can stream films and TV shows super fast, but limit the streaming to 1GB on your price plan defeats the entire purpose.

Much better to get an unlimited data package on 3G.

It's missing 4G

Some people see it as huge. But the only provider of 4G in the UK at the moment is limiting their data Package to 1GB.

Data costs are exorbitant after your free use.

To tell people they can stream films and TV shows super fast, but limit the streaming to 1GB on your price plan defeats the entire purpose.

Much better to get an unlimited data package on 3G.

I have 4g with 3gb on EE.

How much you paying for that? Even 3 gb is ridiculously low tbf, given the way they tout it as "Watch Netflix on your phone!" etc. You wouldn't even get a film watched and you'd nearly be through your allowance.

HF are you with giffgaff? I'm planning on shifting next month. Amy problems to report?

Aye. Switched at christmas. The unlimited data/texts & 240 minutes package has lifted to £12 but never had any issues with service.

Even if you do find that your house or work is in a black hole for reception though. They only tie you in for 30 days, so it only costs £12 to find out.

£41 per month.

Its probably not worth it most of the time as it sits on wifi at home and at work (via their hookup with BT) but it was more about getting the phone as I needed it to run a home automation/universal remote app.

Cheers. Should be alright for service at my house/work cos my lass is O2 and has no bother.

Is it genuine unlimited data? I'm thinking I'll just stream all music and podcasts if so.

It's unlimited...but their T&Cs has a vague reference to not adversely affecting other users.

They will jump on people if they determine you've been tethering other devices to the phone to share the internet connection which I think is fair enough.

Less happy that they will crack down on continuous streaming apparently, so maybe not "unlimited", but I've not had any bother and their community reckon they won't take any action if you stick with less than 1GB per hour...

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Unlimited-data-plans-what-are-the-limit/td-p/5213620

Aye, he rejected modern medicine, which very likely would have saved his life, in favour of snake oil woo. Saying he was merely a marketeer is not right, he was a visionary imo, with a devoted audience who gave him almost deity status.

Aye, a genius marketeer. Is it fair to say that if he'd chosen to go down a certain road he's the sort of fellah who could have ended up with millions of followers anyway in a sort of David Koresh sort of way i.e. because of the type of person he was, or was it mostly because of what his products actually did? bit of both?