iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it did next to nothing my journey home so...aye not really of any use for me seeing as i have satnav with traffic updates in the car, and my phone playing music from the cloud or ipod, with text messages and the like coming through the speakers.

as far as weather updates go i've got that on my lockscreen and springboard along with rss tickers for news and sport already, all without launching an app.

". . take me home KITT "

:razz:

tumblr_lj6x024zHG1qzl5c7o1_400.jpg

Have any of you tried this?

Free calls

Getting better and better.....

Mobile-first messaging and communications platform Viber has landed on the desktop.

Originally available only on smartphone platforms like Android, iOS, and others, Viber has added a desktop client that seamlessly interoperates with its mobile apps and now enables video calling for the first time.

The result is a combination of just about every kind of communication you could wish for in a single client: mobile text-like messaging, audio, and video. Which means that not only is Viber competing with mobile messaging platforms like the massive WhatsApp, it’s also competing with existing VOIP giant Skype.

And it’s got a few advantages on both sides.

With its new desktop client, Viber can seamlessly transfer calls between mobile and laptop, handy if you need to get out of the office in the middle of a call. It seamlessly syncs contacts between devices, silently and continuously, and it shows your received and sent messages on all your Viber-equipped devices.

“People spend a substantial amount of time on their smartphones,” Viber CEO Talmon Marco said in a statement. “However, a lot of that usage takes place at home or in the office, where they have laptops or desktops close by. With Viber Desktop you always get to use the most convenient device. You can seamlessly switch devices while messaging and even transfer calls between your mobile and desktop.”

Skype has been the de-facto leader in desktop audio and video communication for years, but its days at the top may be numbered if relatively young upstart Viber continues to grow at its current pace.

The VOIP communications company with its roots in mobile announced today that it has hit the 200 million user mark — startlingly fast growth for the young company which had 140 million users just in December. That’s perhaps not surprising, as the company is growing at mobile speed — it was the ninth most-downloaded app on Google Play as of March, 2013.

In contrast, Skype hasn’t released user numbers in some time, but the company did say it had about 280 million users six months ago, and it has made no secret of its goal: one billion users. It’s worth noting, however, that Skype probably has some user acquisition surprises up its sleeve: It had the third most-downloaded app in Google Play in March, and it recently announced that its users were spending two billion minutes a day on Skype.

On the mobile side, messaging apps such as WhatsApp are killing it, too. WhatsApp was the second most-downloaded app on Google Play, just behind Facebook … and two spots up on Facebook Messenger.

Clearly, messaging is a very, very competitive market.

According to Viber, however, it is “more flexible” than existing VOIP apps (read: Skype) and more convenient than mobile-only platforms. And the company just added eight languages to reach 27 total, to help it expand globally.

http://venturebeat.c...cXtS2XAXHBiC.99

I've convinced most people it's preferable to Whatsapp, just need to get folk using Skype transferred now.

I have an upgrade available and Im really unsure which way to go. My choices seem to be (I have an iPhone 4S)

- Get the 5 that is out now

- Wait for the 5S this year (I wont wait for the 6 next)

- Jump platform and get the HTC One.

So I answer or make a call through viber using 3g. How much do I get charged?

The call is free. You pay whatever your contract charges you for data. If like me you have unlimited data included in your package... Then it's completely free....or if you only use it via WiFi.

64GB 4S. What do I need that this phone hasn't got?

Thats what I have but due an upgrade and mine is on its way out (battery life worse than ever and sometimes switches off at 30%)

The call is free. You pay whatever your contract charges you for data. If like me you have unlimited data included in your package... Then it's completely free....or if you only use it via WiFi.

So not having unlimited data it would quickly use my allowance?

Just want to be clear.

So not having unlimited data it would quickly use my allowance?

Just want to be clear.

Depends what your allowance is.

Texts wouldnt use much.

Voice would use a fair bit.

Video would use loads.

You should switch provider CT.

No excuse in this day and age for any provider to restrict the video/audio you can enjoy while out and about.

Just under a year into Iphone 5 contract (with 30% friends and family discount) so stuck. Our lasses contract is weeks away and she has the Iphone 4 so is indeed switching to giff gaff.

You should switch provider CT.

No excuse in this day and age for any provider to restrict the video/audio you can enjoy while out and about.

I'm betting raped by O2 for data at the moment, runs out after 2-3 weeks every month. Questions about giff gaff then:

Which network does it use?

Is it easy to sign up to and how?

What's their customer service like, ie UK or foreign.

what's their minimum contract time?

I'm on a rolling contract presently which I like but is poor value, so need to change. Happy with my phone for time being, the HTC One is the dogs bollocks though.

I'm betting raped by O2 for data at the moment, runs out after 2-3 weeks every month. Questions about giff gaff then:

Which network does it use?

Is it easy to sign up to and how?

What's their customer service like, ie UK or foreign.

what's their minimum contract time?

I'm on a rolling contract presently which I like but is poor value, so need to change. Happy with my phone for time being, the HTC One is the dogs bollocks though.

Giff Gaff is O2

Dead easy to sign up

I would have thought uk customer service if o2

rolling month contract.

I've recently signed up with giffgaff. They don't really have customer service to speak of - everything is sorted out through their forums. But how often do you need to talk to mobile phone customer service?

Genuinely unlimited data on O2 network though, which is decent. My lass is constantly getting told she's used her O2 data too and she's not a heavy user.

Monthly rolling contracts.

The one thing I would point out is that because it's basically a recurring PAYG deal that you have with them (they have no facility to take additional money from you beyond your fixed monthly payment), you can't call 0845 type numbers cos they have no way of charging you for them.

On the plus side, you CAN call 0800 numbers for free, which isn't the case on normal mobile providers.