iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, some Apple users are just weirdly evangelical in their zeal to defend their technological brand of choice, you are by no means the only one I know like this. My old boss was, as is Mrs Rent's colleague. Why?

It may just be the people that I come into contact with but for me it's quite the opposite - Samsung users in particular have to boast about the superiority of their phone whilst simultaneously attempting to enforce the now outdated stereotype that Apple users are fanatical zealots. In fact I don't know anyone who is fanatical about an apple product, though I know many who use them and are happy with them. Conversely a number of the Samsung users that I know seem to take delight in hearing or seeing that I or someone else use an iPhone, as it allows for them to attempt to incite some sort of argument based on the technical superiority and larger more vibrant display of their phone. They're left disappointed by me as I'm not particularly fussed either way. In terms of cost - the price that I got my iPhone 4s for was actually cheaper than the cost of a Galaxy S2 through my provider (the S3 was not yet out).

Of the subject of apps, there's a game that I'm somewhat addicted to that I play against a close (but interstate) friend of mine that is not available on the Android platform.

It may just be the people that I come into contact with but for me it's quite the opposite - Samsung users in particular have to boast about the superiority of their phone whilst simultaneously attempting to enforce the now outdated stereotype that Apple users are fanatical zealots. In fact I don't know anyone who is fanatical about an apple product, though I know many who use them and are happy with them. Conversely a number of the Samsung users that I know seem to take delight in hearing or seeing that I or someone else use an iPhone, as it allows for them to attempt to incite some sort of argument based on the technical superiority and larger more vibrant display of their phone. They're left disappointed by me as I'm not particularly fussed either way. In terms of cost - the price that I got my iPhone 4s for was actually cheaper than the cost of a Galaxy S2 through my provider (the S3 was not yet out).

Of the subject of apps, there's a game that I'm somewhat addicted to that I play against a close (but interstate) friend of mine that is not available on the Android platform.

Pointless arguing anecdotes, but look at any Apple launch and compare that to a Samsung one. Look at the reaction to Job's death. Or actually just go in an Apple shop. It all strikes me as odd.

Pointless arguing anecdotes, but look at any Apple launch and compare that to a Samsung one. Look at the reaction to Job's death. Or actually just go in an Apple shop. It all strikes me as odd.

If you were to chart the wave of interest upon the release of the latest iPhones vs the latest Samsung flagships I think you'd see that the hype for the Samsung products is growing whilst that for the iPhone cooling. The type of people that I think you're referring to with the launch hysteria will go where the market dictates, they're not necessarily capable of critical analysis so using them in a discussion is quite pointless.

One thing that many have questioned is the build quality of Samsung phones. Several people I know have had problems with them across multiple models within warranty periods and some of those have had endless troubles trying to have them repaired/replaced. Contrast that with my Mrs who's almost 2 year old iPhone took a swim and unfortunately didn't come back to life. Apple immediately swapped it out for a reconditioned (as new) iPhone for approximately half the price that a second hand version of the same phone currently sells for on the open market. Dismiss these as anecdotal if you wish.

For the record when I'm choosing my next phone I won't be dismissing any manufacturer or OS (even WP8 has some market leading qualities).

Edited by OTF

Apple sell good looking products at premium prices based on what they know their customers want. They also lock you in by ensuring that the best way to use one of their products is to have all of their products. That premium entry price pisses people off. Its like Abercrombie & Fitch refusing to do over a size 12 for girls. They dont want poor people....or they didnt.

Samsung lie about their products and try to persuade their customers they want technical features. They do this much more cheaply as a deliberate use of price in the marketing mix. The people that run it are just corporate dudes who used to run the concrete division.

Android & Google, now thats another thing. I personally find Google very distasteful as an organisation but at least they true innovators. I understand that Android is better than iOS, reflecting the fact that Google is probably the most innovative tech giant around.

The emergence and subsequent flourishing of Android should be the greatest catalyst for the development of IOS. Likewise the popularity and general intuitive UI of IOS devices has been and hopefully will continue to be an excellent driver for the refinement of the Android platform. It has come a long way in a short period of time, that's for sure.

Edited by OTF

Is it not possible that the increased interest for Samsung launches, vs the cooling off interest for Apple launches has something to do with the fact that you can actually expect something different from a Samsung launch these days.

Howay, Samsung produce some top notch stuff, not just phones. Some of the best LED displays, for instance. In fact don't they supply Apple? As has been said, I prefer HTC for build quality and aesthetics, but Samsung are definitely an innovative company.

Chez, do you think the loss of Jobs is significant for Apple re: innovation? I do.

?? Not sure what you mean.

anyway, iirc, jelly bean and essential apps take up at least 4 gb so 8 is nowhere near enough. Next phone I get needs 64 gb minimum.

Edited by Renton

Is the extra 8gb purely for storage or would it give extra speed in any way??

some tech must know.

It's storage only but as rents says, some will be taken up by pre-installed software. He's exagerrating at 4gb though.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/222734-nexus-4-8gb-how-much-actual-useable-space.html

The Google phones are the best on the market for limiting the bloated apps that come pre-packaged. It's basically the google apps and operating system and that's it.

The Nexus is made by LG and compares favourably (or better) with all the iphone/samsung specs though, so no need to worry about speed really.

Storage becomes less and less of an issue the more we store in the cloud, and the more manufacturers want us to store in the cloud. Think you'll be hard pressed to find 64GB phones coming down the line Renton. You'll want an ipod.

It's storage only but as rents says, some will be taken up by pre-installed software. He's exagerrating at 4gb though.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/222734-nexus-4-8gb-how-much-actual-useable-space.html

The Google phones are the best on the market for limiting the bloated apps that come pre-packaged. It's basically the google apps and operating system and that's it.

The Nexus is made by LG and compares favourably (or better) with all the iphone/samsung specs though, so no need to worry about speed really.

Storage becomes less and less of an issue the more we store in the cloud, and the more manufacturers want us to store in the cloud. Think you'll be hard pressed to find 64GB phones coming down the line Renton. You'll want an ipod.

There's a version of the HTC One that has a 64 gb memory. I want instant access to my files and do not want to rely on WiFi or 3g. I also don't like the idea of storing personal files in the cloud, fine for music but nowt else for me.

but you like storing them on a handheld device you take out and about with you that could generally be stolen?

i don't understand the need for massive storage unless you're using it like a portable music library myself, i mean how big or what are the other files you're looking to cart around?

Well, my phone is locked and I've never lost a phone. Photos and videos increasingly take up a lot of space. And I'm often out of 3g areas. Mind, agreed the price of high memory phones is ludicrous at the moment.