Are we too good to go down?

Dr Gloom

i live in london. all my mates down here, who don't have the misfortune of having to watch us every week, keep telling me stuff like:

"you'll be alright. you're too good to go down."

"any team with owen, martins and viduka will be alright"

"there are worse sides in the division than you"

i used to agree. on paper, it's hard to fathom why we quite so crap. i never expected us to have a good season but i always thought we had a bit too much class to be quite so in the shit.

but in reality we can't beat stoke, wigan or hull at home and the home ties are not going to get any easier.

i thought we were too good to go down but it's starting to look like we're not good enough to stay up.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no, but as jimbo says I reckon there are three teams that will be worse than us come the end of the season

we will really need sorting out over summer though and I am still hoping for a good january

The first team is.

The problem is the first team might not be here after Jan (and might be playing with their heads elsewhere even if they are), the squad isn't (we have too many weaknesses and are generally too thin in critical places).... then you've got to add in the manager, club management structure and owner.

So no, we're not too good to go down.... in fact we seem to be doing all we can to go down. :birthday::icon_lol:

The further problem is even if we manage to stay up this season the state of the club for next season could be even worse. :drinks:

Most of our games against the top ten have been away from home, and we're still above the releagation spaces. I think we'll be alright.

It'll get worse over Christmas, but after the FA cup we've got a run of West Ham, Blackburn, Man City, Mackems and West Brom that'll see us do a bit of a jump up the table.

The biggest problem for me is the Kinnear's inability to inspire the team if they go into the break in the lead.

For all his "man-management" it looks like all he's got is tearing them a new arsehole at half time if they are behind or still even, tearing them a new hole doesn't work if you're holding a lead and in control.

Also his inability to make the correct sub is fucking shocking, it's all to Souness like. If you have to make a change make one, not 3 three - fucking cunt, it's not rocket science.

The biggest problem for me is the Kinnear's inability to inspire the team if they go into the break in the lead.

For all his "man-management" it looks like all he's got is tearing them a new arsehole at half time if they are behind or still even, tearing them a new hole doesn't work if you're holding a lead and in control.

Also his inability to make the correct sub is fucking shocking, it's all to Souness like. If you have to make a change make one, not 3 three - fucking cunt, it's not rocket science.

To be fair we've gained more points after half time than we've lost. I think that's the first time Kinnear has let a lead slip.

To be fair we've gained more points after half time than we've lost. I think that's the first time Kinnear has let a lead slip.

Wigan? :birthday: To be fair, he hasn't had the chance to led a lead slip very often.

these 3 teams worse than us .... i wouldnt like to put any money on that , teams like west brom have made a decent enough account for themselves , if they strengthen in certain areas this january they could be alright . they have team's , we have a collection of players .

they used to say your safe on 30 points, bottom three are halfway there .

Wigan? :birthday: To be fair, he hasn't had the chance to led a lead slip very often.

Seeing you brought it up HF, let's have a look at the points won or lost from HT to FT.

Blackburn home: HT 0-2; FT 1-2: 0 points

Everton away: HT 1-2; FT 2-2: + 1 point

Citeh home: HT 1-1; FT 2-2: 0 points

mackems away: HT 1-1; FT 1-2: - 1 point

West Brom home: HT 2-0; FT 2-1: 0 points

Villa home: HT 0-0; FT 2-0: + 2 points

Fulham away: HT 0-1; FT 1-2: 0 points

Wigan home: HT 0-1; FT 2-2: 1 point

Chelsea away: HT 0-0; FT 0-0: 0 points

Smogs away: HT 0-0; FT 0-0: 0 points

Stoke home: HT 2-0; FT 2-2: - 2 points

4 points gained, 3 points lost - so you are correct (congrats you must be proud).

If you want to look further at points lost (in the 2nd half) once we took the lead:

Citeh

Wigan

Stoke

6 points lost there.

Add the mackems where we were 1-1 at half time and Fulham where we fought back to 1-1.

There is another 2 points we could have had if it wasn't for a poor second half.

Regardless the team is a soft touch in the second half, something no doubt every other manager would be aware of.

I always look for three other teams more likely to drop. West Brom I think is nailed on. I woulld say Blackburn, but if they change manager you never know. Same with Sunderland, they aint far behind and a new manager could pull them back up. Spurs I think will be ok under Harry. West Ham I think have enough to stay up and City certainly have the resources to spend this window.

I dunno, looking precarious like....

I think when you look at how shit the first half of the season has been and then imagine us in the second half without the likes of Owen, Barton, Given, Martins etc and you have to think we're fooked.

Plus if JFKs Christmas talk is anything like the half time team talks then we're going to lose everything next year.

I wouldn't say we are too good to go down at all, but I think that there will be three teams that will do worse than we will.

that's always been the case in recent years. this year, i'm not so sure

Most of our games against the top ten have been away from home, and we're still above the releagation spaces. I think we'll be alright.

It'll get worse over Christmas, but after the FA cup we've got a run of West Ham, Blackburn, Man City, Mackems and West Brom that'll see us do a bit of a jump up the table.

I would normally agree with you but the only one of those teams we have beat so far is West Brom and by the end we were hanging on against them (and they are comfortably the weakest team in the league). Citeh are strong at home and could have spent god knows what by the time we play them so I wouldn't be betting on us beating them.

I have been concerned before because of the way we were playing but our inability to beat shite at home combined with an even worse than usual record away from makes things even worse. Add to that the fact that other teams (like the makems and probably Blackburn) have the oppertunity to sack their manager and get someone else in who will give them at least a short term lift and possibly some money to spend in January while we have no chance of getting a new manager this season and very little of fatty putting some cash in for transfers while a lot of players will be thinking about being elsewhere. I really do think we could be fucked this season and I'm hoping for a meltdown at west ham to have much hope at all.

that's what i thought about our recent run of games. that's why i'm worried. we should have picked up a least a couple more wins than we have done over the recent run of games.

to be fair, if we can't dispatch the likes of stoke and wigan at home, i'm not sure we are good enough to stay up

Quite simply-no We aren't too good by any measure.We are far from safe this year. Bizarrely, I thought i'd be seething at the prospect of the drop, but it just leaves me feeling...." Meh".

Weird

Cheers Mike, you useless twat.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

It's far too early to say whether we'll go down or not but there is a strong risk that we'll get dragged further into this relegation battle. I think the Christmas period is going to see a few clubs around us break away and put some distance between the bottom and mid-table and given the fixtures we have between now and March we really need to kick on and be part of that group to avoid being left in the shit.

Too good? Jonas aside, we have one of the worst midfields in the league...

As others have said depending who the Mackems bring in, and if Blackburn make a change that could give them both the short term buzz to go on a small run and pick up a few points.

What could end up a problem for us is that in recent years we have got rid of a manager when in these kind of positions and the club has went on a run of games when a new man has come in. With Kinnear already being this seasons "replacement" I doubt we will get that mix up that has really saved our season under the likes of Roeder and Keegan.

Whilst it would be crazy to appoint someone for this reason alone, I can only see the appointment of the likes of Shearer taking the reigns and the hysteria that would surround it be enough for us to go on any kind of decent run to get the points we need so badly.