Are we too good to go down?

Dr Gloom

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much would the club be worth if we went down btw? I'm guessing something like £50m.

QPR were bought recently when in the Championship? Add about 30-40m to their price (stadium, facilities etc).

£50m then :razz:

Alot of people like MA know that investments should be long term. Yes, some try to do a quick turn around for a fast buck. MA is trying to sell the club now for a profit. If we go down though, I dont see him dumping the club for a loss. Unless someone saw the potential and paid over the odds (which I dont see happening) then I think he would ride it out and try and get us back up. This would be done by trying to find the right manager (I dont think JFK would be kept) who would nurture the young kids to avoid having to spend big. Some of the good kids would be sold off to keep the books around level to make up for the drop in gates / tv / merchandise etc.

Scary stuff but very possible imo.

I understand your point but I think he has been shocked at how crap he is at this business. His complete inability to see Dennis Wise as the fucking liability he is and that when trying to find a manager to replace Keegan all wise could do was call his old mate Joe Kinnear is a fucking joke. If we go down and he keeps control we are fucked. It will be like the 80's again when all we can do is play for middle table championship year in year out. Or best scenario be a yo yo team like the baggies. That would see our gates drop like a lead balloon. I think he will shit himself if he is still in charge at the start of next season and sees how few season tickets are sold. Like it or not people are sick of watching shit week in and week out and we wont fill 52,000 seats in the championship by a long way.

Im not sure he has. I reckon he is too stubborn to think he is crap and probably blames other influences. On Wise, how bad has he actually been? Im not sure what he has or hasnt done (factually) to know what influence he has had. I know we signed some canny players, and some shite, and not enough. Was this him? I know we tried to get El Tel before JFK but he wouldnt come due to the temp contract was this him or Lambias? I dont know. Also we dont know who else we tried? I do agree though, if we go down and he keeps control we're fucked. I also agree that the season tickets will be even worse next year. Staying up or not.

When you take into account how tight we have been in regards to signing players + contracts this makes (if true) his supposed seven figure salary fucking madness...

If he was bringing in top quality for a pittance he'd be worth every penny. The fact that we'll end up paying more than £10M for Gutirez, like we did for Coloccini, and he blew £5M on Xisco makes his record piss poor when compared to Keegan spending £2.5M on Guthrie and Bassong.

:razz: Was that a joke? :(

:razz:

You don't think they look like better value? I wonder if Keegan was unhappy with the amount of money being wasted. :D

The perm has been turned on several occasions now and left for dead pace wise - fact

Aye, not that fast and poor in the air. He's a sweeper and a pretty decent one but those deficiencies mean he'll get caught out at times.

I'd also point out that while both the Argies look good players I think some of the praise for their performances have been way OTT as well.

Some might go OTT but on the other hand you have some over on N-O saying that Jonas is nothing but an average player who is useless and ineffective... :razz:

I'd also point out that while both the Argies look good players I think some of the praise for their performances have been way OTT as well.

Some might go OTT but on the other hand you have some over on N-O saying that Jonas is nothing but an average player who is useless and ineffective... :razz:

He's a canny player like. He's a good, hard-working winger and he has a bit of pace and strength about him. Comfortable down both flanks too. He's nowt special mind imo.

He's a canny player like. He's a good, hard-working winger and he has a bit of pace and strength about him. Comfortable down both flanks too. He's nowt special mind imo.

Probably be a lot better and productive with some better players, playing with confidence around him.

Probably be a lot better and productive with some better players, playing with confidence around him.

Agreed. Even the best players in the world would look average in our current team...

Some might go OTT but on the other hand you have some over on N-O saying that Jonas is nothing but an average player who is useless and ineffective... :(

Agreed. Even the best players in the world would look average in our current team...

See Michael Owen :razz:

Agreed with the above like. If Jonas was in a team that had any sort of movement up front, he'd be very dangerous. Just have to look at his pass for Owen against Stoke and a few other occasions where he's picked players out easily if they've made the right runs. He won't get that with Martins, sadly. Still think he's good like and a real improvement over Milner in the sense that he works just as hard and is obviously a stronger player.

Edited by Stiva

Robinho would be shit in this toon team, he'd have his own weekly column in the NOTW slagging us off if he was here. He's already started on City who are far better than us.

Absolutely. It was just to slightly counter the view that Wise and co have done pretty well with their signings / scouting.

A couple of the youth lads Wise brought in seem decent.

Nile Ranger looks particularly promising.

Plus I think Jonas, Collocini,Gonzales & Xisco were all Vetere and Jimenez.

Absolutely. It was just to slightly counter the view that Wise and co have done pretty well with their signings / scouting.

I think they've still done alright in regards to Jonas tbh. The only outstanding issue is the whole faff-on with the compensation which is bound to bite us in the arse someway, especially if we've got to fork up some more money. But, he was a certain improvement over what we had (and still have). Bassong looks like a bit of a steal though for £2.5 million and should grow into a good little player in time. There's probably better than Coloccini out there for £10 million but that seems to be the going rate for internationals these days. Really, my only hate over the scouting team is over the whole deadline day debacle.

collo is most defenitely a sweep it up and keep it simple guy who doesn't like fast, big forwards. bassong looks like he could be classy at stopping people playing but can't kick a ball straight.

i think gutierrez works really well with players that offer great movement. only owen does that in a black and white top. i've seen more movement in a cancerous bowel tract than most of our other players.

The perm has been turned on several occasions now and left for dead pace wise - fact

Aye, not that fast and poor in the air. He's a sweeper and a pretty decent one but those deficiencies mean he'll get caught out at times.

Conceding from set pieces has been a major headache as we don't really have anyone commanding in the air at the back.

collo is most defenitely a sweep it up and keep it simple guy who doesn't like fast, big forwards. bassong looks like he could be classy at stopping people playing but can't kick a ball straight.

i think gutierrez works really well with players that offer great movement. only owen does that in a black and white top. i've seen more movement in a cancerous bowel tract than most of our other players.

Shows how serious the scenario has become that we are relying on Bassong playing out of his skin at his age.

Edited by Park Life

I wonder what attendance we would get in the Championship and how cheap the tickets would be.

I think Leeds still charge £20 + in League One.

Upto £40!!!!

Mental.

Jesus Wept :razz:

Conceding from set pieces has been a major headache as we don't really have anyone commanding in the air at the back.

We've got someone who can point out the danger, we just need someone who can actually nip it in the bud.

A couple of the youth lads Wise brought in seem decent.

Nile Ranger looks particularly promising.

Plus I think Jonas, Collocini,Gonzales & Xisco were all Vetere and Jimenez.

Jonas is more an allrounder it seems than a true winger.

Collo is still settling in - in a new league so I'll hold fire on him for now.

Xisco won't make it.

Not sure who the other bloke is. :razz: