Wikipedia child image censored

Fop

I half remember a "stat" from something like the West Wing , or another similarly creditable source, that said if 50% of the population of a country have mobile phone access, it's impossible to have a tyranny...

I am undoubtedly jumbling the whole thing up, but I guess I'm trying to state the obvious... freedom of speech is freedom.

Now, go back to petty sniping at eachother.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Website age ratings 'an option'

Film-style age ratings could be applied to websites to protect children from harmful and offensive material, Culture Secretary Andy Burnham has said.

Mr Burnham told the Daily Telegraph the government was looking at a number of possible new internet safeguards.

He said some content, such as clips of beheadings, was unacceptable and new standards of decency were needed.

He also plans to negotiate with the US on drawing up international rules for English language websites.

Mr Burnham, a father of three young children, believes internet-service providers should offer child-friendly web access.

"Leaving your child for two hours completely unregulated on the internet is not something you can do," he told the Telegraph.

"This isn't about turning back the clock. The internet has been empowering and democratising in many ways, but we haven't yet got the stakes in the ground to help people navigate their way safely around it."

He went on to say it was time to review the accessibility of certain content on the internet and insisted he was not trying to curb free speech.

His plans are likely to anger those who advocate the freedom of the worldwide web.

"You can still view content on the internet which I would say is unacceptable. You can view a beheading," he said.

"This is not a campaign against free speech, far from it, it is simply there is a wider public interest at stake when it involves harm to other people."

On the issue of giving individual websites film-style classifications, Mr Burnham said: "That would be an option. This is an area that is really now coming into full focus."

In Saturday's wide-ranging newspaper interview, Mr Burnham also suggested he would allocate money raised from the BBC's commercial activities to fund other broadcasters, such as Channel Four.

On the future of the licence fee, he said: "Top-slicing the licence fee [to fund other broadcasters] is an option that is going to have to remain on the table."

But he added: ''I have to say it is not the option that I instinctively reach for first. I think there are other avenues to be explored."

Concerns over children's safety on the internet have already led to calls from the NSPCC for computer manufacturers and retailers to install security to stop children finding violent or sexual content.

A poll carried out by the children's charity in October suggested three out of four children had been disturbed by images they had seen on the internet.

In July this year, the Commons culture, media and sport select committee criticised video-sharing website YouTube, saying it needed to do more to vet its content.

At the time, Google, the firm which owns YouTube, stressed the site had strict rules and a system that allowed users to report inappropriate content.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7800846.stm

You can see why Labour have invented a new jailable offence every 4 days of their term since getting into power in 1997. :unsure:

They hate anything they can't control.

Probably going to whooosh myself right up the khyber here, but is that a real stat or just idle foppery?

You can see why Labour have invented a new jailable offence every 4 days of their term since getting into power in 1997. :icon_lol:

They hate anything they can't control.

Probably going to whooosh myself right up the khyber here, but is that a real stat or just idle foppery?

Idle Foppery = real statistic nobody likes/wants to admit is correct. :unsure:

(in case that :icon_lol: 's you, yes it's completely real; a number of new jailable offences created [with some ridiculously piffling "offences"] vs days in power = 1 every 4 days).

:unsure:

Even better, just in time for the recession/possible depression Labour are now bringing in new laws to allow bailiffs to use "reasonable force" to get their way.

Unbelievable really, especially given how much law bailiffs already have on their side (even if they get the wrong person and wrong address :icon_lol:).

Being jailed for daring to defend yourself from paid thugs that have the wrong address..... Vote Labour! :icon_lol: